The Corroboree
mutant

Grafting freek

Well, here are some of my fresh grafts , either just begining to take or swelled and steady or freshly joined.

P1000035.jpg

P1000034.jpg

P1000033.jpg

P1000032.jpg

P1000030.jpg

and here are shot with the older camera

DSCN6119.jpg

DSCN6120.jpg

DSCN6122.jpg

Hey, anyone knows that this stock is?? I think it rules! And fact that it swelled kk339 is indicative, as is the growth of a freelance plant I got of this stock. It's a climber and grows and roots quickly. Shape and spines are very convinient too.

DSCN6123.jpg

DSCN6197.jpg

DSCN5650.jpg

Edited by mutant

Sweet grafts mutant.

What is the stock used for the five peyote grafts in the first pick taken with the old camera? What are the growth rates like on them?

It looks like the peyotes will eventually grow to cover the stock resulting in what might look like an ungrafted peyote but with the benefit of an all weather root stock.

Will be interesting to see the progress on them.

wow i didnt know you could grow pedro on peres for that long , impressive stuff mutant....i like your seedling grafts... :rolleyes: e

I don't do grafting anymore (I've developed a great degree of patience through cactus), but damn, those are impressive!

~Michael~

Hey thanks for the comments :)

What is the stock used for the five peyote grafts in the first pick taken with the old camera? What are the growth rates like on them?

It looks like the peyotes will eventually grow to cover the stock resulting in what might look like an ungrafted peyote but with the benefit of an all weather root stock.

Will be interesting to see the progress on them.

exactly mate ;) that's the plan.. the stock is some rather smallish echinopsis , maybe oxygona that roots as fuck, the pups often form roots above the ground so you got a ready stock - albeit much slower, but still faster than lopho regular grow rate. I have also used some other stocks + lopho so it should be interesting next year :)

one stock [echinopsis+lopho] rotted due to ugly cut it had and wetty soil, but I think I saved the lopho pup again.

I think lophos are very easy and compatible in grafting..

oh, another thing about patience. I admit I am not the most patient man on earth. But these grafts are not only for the speeding up. Some I have done, like myrtillocactus on opuntia, which didn't work because myrti is faster than opuntia it seems, were for the sake of it. I have also put KK339 pups as scions to the same echinopsis as stock, and they stuck - I am now tryin to root the scion covering the whole echinopsis is peddles. heh. fun exploratory gardening :)

cheers all

Edited by mutant

Nice pics mutant, very inspirational. The diversity of stock used is very cool.

With the grafts to the spiny stocks, is there no risk that when the Lophs begin to pup and start covering the stock, that the spines will dig into them, potentially causing rot?

Yay you posted the tricho one...isn't it mental...clap.gif

I like your grafting style Mutant it's very symmetrical and extremely neat..I like things in order like that it calms my mind...as for your love life well that's another story..smirk.gif

keep up the grafting though you're very talented at it, you must have a nice steady hand

hey, thanks, but I don't think I deserve all this.. I mean I don't feel I am that good. I am trying to get better at this. I was never good with the hands. But I really liked to try when I saw all this graftin thing... It's because of grafting I have become quite better than I used to be with accurate hand movements, and I could see this clearly in this great board game Bausack we played recently. Btw, a high recommendation, check it out ;) Might help you get better with grafting ;) :P

I think it's passion with one thing.. As I never had a good sense of coordination and was getting more and more into mushroom picking, and often went alone to the woods, I had to develop a better sense of it, so as to not get lost.

It's the same thing with the grafting, and you don't know how many failure's I got :innocent_n: . But it seems I am becoming better a bit and this time I try to do better positionings, bevelings etc like the fresh ones in the first photos with the new camera

This work will only show better at end of next season, round automn..

tripsis, you asked about the spines. The spines are tricky even during the graft if the little echinopsis plants have been left to grow in the sun. But this is partly solved if you keep a mother plant of echinopsis in a more shady place to have weaker spines. But in any case I don't think it's something of concern. Cacti have their ways of securing the bond.

Alright, grafting shit continues!!

P1000092.jpg

This 5, were not done from me, 4 aztek, pelecypho, mammi leydii and disco were bought from a german nursery and are all on harissia, the ario was given from a friend and is on an echinopsis [the one used for the lophos discussed earlier in the thread]. This ario graft suffered from meally in the roots so it pretty much stalled fro long.

P1000102.jpg

This was also bought. Strombo

P1000105.jpg

another bigger gymnocalicium on selinicereus

P1000103.jpg

lopho pups degrafted from pere to cereus

P1000101.jpg

astro columnare on selini

P1000100.jpg

gymno on pere

P1000093.jpg

lol. this was done like that because the stems had hardened much lower. Very difficult to set them steady on. Only one took, I suppose I will be cutting down the other cuttings in the same pot.

P1000097.jpg

the T.tescheckii on pere, very slow. Been over a year on there. Also some mesymbrianthemum seedling that sprouted by accident

P1000087.jpg

a bigger astro on pere. It was chewed by a stick-insect a month ago.

P1000088.jpg

Turbinicarpus pup that took very easily. it was hit a bit from mite I think

P1000091.jpg

astro monstrosa on myrtillocactus that stalled.

P1000089.jpg

this looks like normal seedlings, but actually it's little pups of KK339 on a slower echinopsis, which resulted in stalling of course. Now I have burried the stock. Either they will rot or the kk39 will root from there.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Long time no update

some shots are shite but anyways

P1000637.jpg

P1000638.jpg

P1000641.jpg

P1000643.jpg

P1000645.jpg

P1000646.jpg

• Like 1

P1000647.jpg

P1000649.jpg

P1000650.jpg

P1000651.jpg

P1000652.jpg

P1000653.jpg

P1020157.jpg

P1020149.jpg

• Like 1

wow, those are very amazing!

Hey, anyone knows that this stock is?? I think it rules! And fact that it swelled kk339 is indicative, as is the growth of a freelance plant I got of this stock. It's a climber and grows and roots quickly. Shape and spines are very convinient too.

that stock looks like Selenicereus

thanks, yeah it's a selinicereus, I found out some time ago. This stock is popular with many enthousiasts in europe. I think it rulez!

I just have to add.......

Sexy! :P

i keep seeing people graft lophs onto trich's,

does anyone have any pictures of a trich grafted onto a loph?

lol

P1000734.jpg

P1000738.jpg

P1000739.jpg

P1000730.jpg

P1000731.jpg

P1000732.jpg

• Like 2

..WOW.. :worship:

P1000641.jpg

dude these are so fucking rad!

Thanks for encouragement guys, I still feel -a bit- like a newbie!

btw inco, the kk339 offspring [cuts] are pupping steadily. Did all this batch of seed you sowed pupped a lot?

Edited by mutant

P1010258.jpg

P1010257.jpg

P1010261.jpg

P1010255.jpg

oh btw

what's this?

you think this is fruit? should I pick off, or should leave as is?

Its been there for over 3, maybe 5 months....

P1010256.jpg

====

and an extra, for the edit

P1020698-1.jpg

P1000852.jpg

P1000853.jpg

Edited by mutant

P1010267.jpg

the pere coulnd't make it. It was leaning on something and it bend in the spot of contact

P1010271.jpg

P1010269.jpg

I took the fruits off [have been there for long time] but they were duds - or I cut them too early -

but look at this!?!??!

P1010272.jpg

this was the only fruit that made a few seeds. and they germinated IN THE FRUIT! lol!

• Like 1

I think the fruit was ripe mutant :P that's one vigorous Gymno!