The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
artdplmr

Tried smoking Dokha..Nice!

Hello All-

New member here, from the United States. Found this forum a month ago when I was trying to find info about Dokha, and really liked the forum.

Turns out, I really like dokha, too! Don't know if anybody else has tried it, but it's a really interesting smoke. The hot blends will definitely twist your head for a short while, and then leave you glowing for an hour or two. The cooler blends are a little more conducive to everyday activities. And it's 100% freakin' legal, even in the heart of the US bible belt where I live! How nice to have the postman bring me my little packages of joy, and not worry about johnny-law.

The site I found, (not gonna plug 'em, do a search if your interested), sells 10 or 12 different blends, the little pipes (medwakh), and other essentials. Pretty reasonable prices, too.

One other interesting thing I discovered, since I've started smoking dokha, I haven't smoked a single cigarette, and I don't miss 'em. Not really sure if I traded up health-wise, but I sure traded up fun-wise.

If anyone has experience with dokha, or can tell me a little more about it other then what's already on this site, I sure would appreciate it. It's almost too good to be true, I'm sort of waiting for the catch, you know? The guy that owns medwakh.com is really helpful, and says it's better for you than cigs, but what else is he gonna' say? He's selling the stuff.

Thanks, folks, and Happy Holidays from the States!!

censored for posterity

Edited by reptyle

I am confused as to why people find it neccesary to be so negative in their responses to new members. It's like because they have just joined they must be only here to scheme and steal. Furthermore they mustn't have any background knowlege on anything.It is really irritating the way you guys do that. Stop picking on the new guy to make yourself feel good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokha

google search too 0.0000346 seconds to find that for me. maybe you can do it next time.

What the hell reptyle? Get off it bro.

Thanks for your post artdplmr and welcome to the forums. It is good to see some writing on a smoking mix we don't have a lot of info on.

I'm Iranian and have never heard of this stuff myself, so very interesting for me. From some initial research the effect seems largely to be from nicotine in cured tobacco, so that's why you don't miss cigarettes - you are probably getting more nicotine now than then. Coolness probably modulated using the usual mint, clove, honey, vanilla suspects. Hotness may simply be modulated by the degree of tobacco curing (i.e. tar and nicotine content).

Thought it was kind of funny you said "not gonna tell you the site find it yourself" and then you told us?

firstly maybe the fact i can't understand the majority of what you typed may play a large part in it, but it sounds more like you having a go at him to me. Sorry if i misunderstood. From your post it didn't sound like you were looking for a "good convo" it looked more like you solely criticizing the fact he ended up posting the link, and not really interested at all. Do you always type like that? to me it came accross as a payout on his name, if not then sorry and i wish you the best.

and it has nothing to do with anyone being black at all. I am so confused nothing in any post except your second made sense.

Welcome artdplmr Dokha sounds interesting i for one would like to hear/read more on the subject

Another alternative there is also a thread on Swedish snus that may interest you

:scratchhead: reptyle a few of your posts are getting more & more negative & troll like (the ones we can understand)

i know its the silly season but like the old saying if ya don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all

Edited by mac
  • Like 1

Hi Artdplmr, welcome to the forums! Feel free to share more infos about dokha in the future. I always like hearing infos about exotic tobacco mixtures. Pictures maybe? But be a little bit careful not to overdo it. There are some certain tobacco mixes that are more cancerogen than others and there probably wont be any long time studies about dokha! But as you smoke the mix, it´s probably a tiny little bit safer than the chewing tobaccos from exotic countries. bye Eg

I am always dubious about first posts that promote a new product. But then again, this forum allows limited ON TOPIC product promotion so there is nothing wrong with the first post. It's good to see new stuff being discussed.

reptyle, your post is neither informative nor friendly nor helpful ... nor legible actually. If you don't want to be called a troll and earn yourself troll points then don't act like one.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Yo, reptyle- Yes if you must know, I have a diploma, but I'm also a plumber, named art, hence art*d*plmr. Maybe it's your Aus accent that saw it as art*d*ploma. ;)

Yeah, sorry about the name drop. It was late, and no, I wasn't flying on dokha, just sleepy.

Thank you for the info, folks. I was talking to a friend of mine from the Lebanon, and he sort of confirmed the warning about the strength. He said that when the stronger blends are picked and or handled, if you don't wear gloves you'll get sick just from the nicotine you absorb from the plant! I have not ordered any of the crazy strong blends (yet), and I'll cautiously enjoy in moderation what I do have. He also said that they are currently trying to restrict it from the UAE (which I take it is sort of dokha ground zero), so of course its popularity is exploding there now, especially among teenagers. Funny how basic human nature transcends boundries and cultures.

The taste of the dokha I have is really smooth and clean. It's sorta' cigar like, but you don't get that heavy cigar after taste in your mouth. Really, there's no after taste, except for one of the spicey blends I have. You can sure taste the spices (coriander, maybe? cinnamon?) when you exhale, but once again, no nasty after taste.

So, just curious, but is it really the nicotine that's so bad in tobacco? I was always under the impression that it was the associated tars, fillers, and additives, not to mention the chemicals in the paper, that were the real nasty bits in cigs. Don't even intend to start a cig debate, yeah yeah I agree it's a nasty habit, which is why I was initially wondering about the comparative effects of dokha vs. cigarettes. From a strictly volumetric view point, I sure am smoking a lot less tobacco when smoking dokha, then when I was knocking back a pack and a half a day.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome! (Didn't mean to rile the trolls, but I guess there's that basic human nature again.)

but is it really the nicotine that's so bad in tobacco?

It´s the nitrosamines that cause the cancer. Not the nicotine. Though tobacco is toxic, i´m sure it causes none of the tobacco related cancers.

I was always under the impression that it was the associated tars, fillers, and additives, not to mention the chemicals in the paper, that were the real nasty bits in cigs.

True. A lot of the additives in cigarettes cause cancer by themselves. Problem is you probably wont know all the ingredients of the dokha either. Well, the dokha producers certainly wont create as develish mixes as the large cigarette manufacturers but there are many possible ingredients i can think of which might be in there. Some of them are are also suspected to cause cancer if burned and smoked. Sugar,choclate or honey are examples of additives that are freely available. Scientists are arguing about the side effects of burned and inhaled sugar but you probably get the idea that it wont be very healthy. Dont know if something of the mentioned stuff is in there. Im just saying that i wouldnt say that dokha is in any way healthier than regular tobacco without additives. It probably mostly about personal likes and dislikes.

which is why I was initially wondering about the comparative effects of dokha vs. cigarettes

In regard to the cancer rates and the other diseases that are caused by tobacco, you cant compare them as long as there are no real long time studies. Im sure there are nitrosamines present in dokha because nsamines are present in every product that contains nicotine. But it´s impossible to know the exact amount without actually testing it! If the leaves are fermented, chances are they have lots of nitrosamines. And im sure they are fermented because it´s almost impossible to get unfermented tobacco if you dont grow it yourself. In regard to the pure effect it should be pretty easy to find that out. Feel free to share experiences as i always like to hear about exotic smoking blends. There are some certain cultural differences in treating tobacco and thats why it would be interested to see a real study about it. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

this is a little off topic, but, I've been smoking e-cigs for a little while now.. supposed to be better for me health wise as there is only nicotine and glycerin and a flavoring or two that gets vaporised, (I'm not sure if this means not combusted or just combusted at a much higher heat). They have taken some getting used to but don't leave me stinky and feeling like a wretch ducking outside for a smoke every hour away from my family etc.

I am however enjoying the e-cig and the flavours I get from the liquids, pretty darn tasty and much nicer than darbs.

Is Dokha like Hooka mixes? I spose I should google it and find out... The hooka mixes I have smelt, (never tried them - just bought some to try mixing with other stuff but then realised it's totally goopy and not really able to be smoked in anything other than a hooka pipe) smell awsome - totally fruity and lush but I'm sure they don't do the lungs too many favours due to being combusted, which I think changes the molecular structure creating all the tars and shit, (but I could be wrong here).

Anyhow, yeah interesting stuff - there is more to nicotine and tobacco use than smoking premade smokes from one of the tobacco giants!

and just a side note; reptyle, dude, are you drinking heaps or something? Your posts are starting to remind me of some of mine when I was drinking heaps of piss and taking too much valium! I don't mean to burn you or anything, just an observation - sometimes being challenged on a behaviour can be the catalyst to change.

censored for posterity

Edited by reptyle

Something familiar...The lady in black in the Goddess of tobacco, and she loves attending your children's parties...

Edited by reptyle

Someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response, or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Sound familiar reptyle :rolleyes:

Edited by mac

Thanks artdplmr- this has solved a mystery for me. A friend that worked at startbucks on the gold coast years ago said arab guys would come in and smoke these little pipes of this green stuff. ONe of the guys left a pipe behind once so my mate kept it.(actually now that i've thought about it for a little i think the pipes were disposable, they'd leave them there all the time) He showed it to me and i have wondered for years what it was.

I had forgotten about it but then after looking up on wiki just then it seems it was a Midwakh pipe, which would mean that (hopefully) dokha is available in australia, or in the gold coast at least.

My friend said that guys would smoke these all the time, so it must be a pretty common habit. I wouldn't mind trying a bit.

Edited by Smiling Cloud

haha, someone just got excited ;) please let me know if you find some.

It would be interesting if it was available in Oz... I found some pic's of the pipes used for it and some info on a hookah forum.. the pipes look cool. Apparently it only takes like 3-5 tokes to get the buzz from the stuff. Must be pretty strong tobacco.

post-3725-126134091404_thumb.jpg

dohka2.bmp

dohka2.bmp

dohka2.bmp

Here's a picture of my pipe and what's left of my dokha. I'm going to re-order soon, and I'm going to step up a couple of grades on the dokha. I'm still really enjoying the dokha, and while I have not yet re-succumbed to my cig desires, I must admit I have ramped up the dokha smoking. Don't know if I'm adjusting to the higher nic levels and thus increasing consumption, or if I'm just digging the dokha that much! I've had lots of nasty habits in my time (classic addictive personality), but in the grand scheme of these type things, dokha is certainly a minor offender. I did find a site other then the seller which has both new (to me anyway) info, and some current dokha devotees who provide some salient personal input. At risk of re-aggravating my new trollish acquaintance, and with the disclaimer that I have absolutely no personal involvement with said site and supply the address only in the interest of educational furtherance and only for those of you solely who have expressed a smidgen of interest in dokha, (whew!), that site is hookahpro.com. Just search medwakh, or dokha, and you'll return some interesting threads.

post-6880-126137076732_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

I got on here because I saw the thread about Dokha. In the interest of disclosure I own and operate EmpireDokha.com. I'm not here to fish for business (though we do send to Australia) I am here because I see myself as a sort of expert and connesieur. I have been smoking dokha since 2002 when i was still in high school and have been in love ever since. We have a close relationship with a dokha farmer in Iran who sells his dokh in UAE, he has told me almost everything i know from the varieties of tobacco used, to creating "hot" or "cold" blends ( amount of water supplied while growing and proper flush to drying....etc). Anyways I just want to help spread the knowledge of dokha and it's health benefits( i'll used this term rather loosely) when compared to other forms of tobacco.

thank you for welcoming me to your community.

On another thread you said this:

There's one company that i know of that ships to australia and that is empiredokha.com. the guys are super friendly and can explain everything.They love dokha and so do I.

And on this thread you said:

In the interest of disclosure I own and operate EmpireDokha.com. I'm not here to fish for business

Very confusing. But regardless, thanks for the link. It's hard for Australians to import tobacco without being slugged a huge tax, although I think the limit is 250grams at a time.

Edited by Psylo Dread

There is no free amount of tobacco or liquor to import any more. Any amount must be taxed. Found out that nice piece of government bullshit on my recent trip overseas.

Also if you exceed the carry on limit for alc or tobac, you have to pay tax on ALL of it, not just the excess. Again, bullshit. Luckily all you have to do to not pay anything is lie on your incoming passenger card, easy.

So yeah even if it's one pack of cigarettes from a friend and a gift, you have to pay tax. I hate this country...

From what i know you dont have to pay tax on less then 200 cigs, i get 10 packs sent from japan and ive never paid tax on this, as its under the limit...it works out I buy a packet of 20 cigs per pack and i get a carton that contains 10 packets which equals 200! This is how i get my cigs...but i get em posted from a family member with various food etc from japan as my wife is japanese and i got some last month with no tax payed on it just freight rates...

medwakh the stuff you smoke in dokhas are the same as mapacho nicotiana rusticum If you dont puke its sure to give you one hell of a buzz

medwakh the stuff you smoke in dokhas are the same as mapacho nicotiana rusticum If you dont puke its sure to give you one hell of a buzz

Yeah from what i've been able to find out, dokha's history comes fom shade tobacco that was taken back to the middle east about 300 years ago. This tobacco adapted to a much dryer (desert) climate and was cross bred with nicotiana rustica as early as 150 years ago. The result was a stronger tobacco well suited for the environment and dokha had arrived. I'm not sure on the whole history of it or all of the blends, this info was given to me by an irani farmer that we purchase from.