The Corroboree
DreamingNagual

Apocalyto

Movie on SBS Just started,

"Apocalypto"

As the Mayan kingdom faces its decline, The rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples

and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar paw flees to avoid his fate.

Another discription of the movie is,

A hunter taken prisoner by Mayan Warriors & bound for the sacrificial alter tries to escape & return home to his wie & son.

a good watch for sure, great realism , like the way they had them not speaking english

I love it how by ripping off the heads of the ants the child's wound was healed...he even chose the ants for himself.

And i would add that the shaman was simply high on life...that's a no brainer.

thought the maya were gone by the spanish invasion,aztecs?

solar eclipse followed by full moon that night.....no way hosey!

was an interesting depiction of cultures anyhow.

was left thinking of 'the gods must be crazy'......

t s t .

That was just fucked.

Very epic

but...

mass slavery? mass human sacrifice? mass unburied graves? removal of the beating heart and presenting to the sun god? Spanish ships?

-Weren't most major Maya cities abandoned 300 years before the arrival of the Spanish?

sounding far more Aztec than Mayan.

Extremely disappointing that after all this falsified brutality and historical inaccuracy is presented the Spanish Christian missionaries seemingly arrive to save the populace... depicted as if the brutal culture of the 'savages' deserved destruction. :BANGHEAD2:

and no mention of the brilliant maya astronomical system, art etc...

Dude this is the Aztecs, not the Maya, come on y'all.

I expect y'all to be a little smarter than this...

Next you will be telling me the Olmecs fought the British in South America :)

Extremely disappointing that after all this falsified brutality and historical inaccuracy is presented the Spanish Christian missionaries seemingly arrive to save the populace... depicted as if the brutal culture of the 'savages' deserved destruction. :BANGHEAD2:

and no mention of the brilliant maya astronomical system, art etc...

Excellent observation.

Fuck your christian ass Mel!

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

yeah it's a bit suspicious that mel gibson made this movie. i always like his movies and i liked apocalypto but you have to wonder about his motives.

Yeahlike I said I agree completely the culture depicted in this film is more reminicent of Aztec but;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocolypto

see apparently Maya. wtf

shows how much research into the Maya culture was done by the producers & film crew! LOL! :rolleyes:

yeah it's a bit suspicious that mel gibson made this movie. i always like his movies and i liked apocalypto but you have to wonder about his motives.

I think it is also most unfortunate and sad that for a lot of people watching Apocalypto will be their only (-abeit historically inaccurate-) insight into pre-Columbian Meso-American civilisations.... :rolleyes:

:

e.g.

'Oh... you mean the Maya, those sadistic brutal savages from Apocalypto... yeah those bastards'.

LOL~!

Best film ever...period.

Even though they had such little information to work with as far as history and text and scrolls etc...they have done a damn fine job with this movie.

Having only one Coddex to work with must be extremely frustrating...those Spanish fuckers really fucked up some of the most interesting evidence, in my opinion... The Maya ...the master race/civilization, the mathematicians with no peers, who worked with nature, understood earth cycles, lunar and solar synchronization, ethnobotanical understanding of the highest order...more importantly, and this will not be a popular opinion...but i have to admire them for it..The Maya did not have such a huge connection to this live and did not ever fear death, they seemed to know that there is more than here and now, traveling to another life/place was something to embrace.

We will only ever be able to guess some aspects of what the Maya did and how they lived...thank you so much Catholic church for pillaging and destroying such priceless information about the most advanced civilization to ever have walked this planet.

LMAO...come on Thunder...are you having a go at Mel for his drunken blunder when he voiced his anti Zionist opinions...?

Perhaps you might like to join the few other crazies at the nook and read the thread on "Boycott all Mel Gibson films"...I sure did find it hilarious, perhaps we can boycott all Disney films as well seeing as how old Walt was a Nazi.

can't people just enjoy a movie for what it is, i think some people tend to forget that it is HOLLYWOOD, if you take too seriously you'll end up taking it out of proportion, just like the feminism group did to the new twilight saga

Edited by spudamore

he is religious; his opinion is not integral so neither is his art.

I expect y'all to be a little smarter than this...

Teo...errrrr what do you mean by this....I really need to know cause that just seems to be a very conflicted statement...particulary when the Director himself clearly explains it is the Maya...has nothing to do with the aztecs.

For clarification I actually thought the film itself was well done and quite enjoyed it; great action film.

Although I stand by this from an ideological viewpoint;

Extremely disappointing that after all this falsified brutality and historical inaccuracy is presented the Spanish Christian missionaries seemingly arrive to save the populace... depicted as if the brutal culture of the 'savages' deserved destruction.
he is religious; his opinion is not integral so neither is his art.

IMO his religious stance only serves to reinforce my perceived notion of the Spanish missionaries seemingly arriving just in time to save the day and bestow salvation to the population.

I acknowledge fully that we do have limited information available about the Maya, however aren't they usually (at least traditionally...I am making no inferences on accuracy here) regarded as being comparatively peaceful in contrast to the Aztecs?

Why the fuck did Mel have to make out the most sophisticated civilisation ever to exist out to be mere primitive, bloodthirsty savages fully deserving of cultural destruction!?! i think i know the answer...

hurray for the Catholic Church! bless the lord :crux:

thank you so much Catholic church for pillaging and destroying such priceless information about the most advanced civilization to ever have walked this planet.

Amen!

Accordingly, the maya were the masters of time, along with aztec, this knowledge was vouchsafed them by the wisdom held within the sacred plants, namely DMT and ayahuasca, they had a strong basis and understanding of their own history and were very much in contact with the information contained within celestial arrangements, the self reflecting medium of cosmic knowledge...

as far as it goes, "they", being the priests and time lords, knew what was destined to befall them, and as a result began to prepare the information they had for its passage into the new world. they did this by enacting their own death...they willed their own demise so as to escape the forcing of their death upon them by God, or Kukulkan...thus saving their Gods personage from the responsibility for their destruction, they literally enacted their own death, ad went through the social grieving process as a community. This is far from a savage idea, although it is also far from entirely peaceful...

The understanding that the earth needed to bleed to die, and that it would be possible to enter the kingdom of heaven by moving purely into the realm of the spirit through its reflected manifestation in material reality is a sublime conception. They rebirthed as Gods by enacting the actions of the Gods, they were aware, as the prophets of our own culture have been of the future and its cyclic nature.

Enlightened actions are difficult to comprehend...read about Al-Khidr and his actions.

The movie is simply information...kinda like the Never Ending Story...

Ya,

I liked your post reptyle B)

I would have liked there to have been more (or some?) focus on the actual Mayan culture to serve some form of justification as to show how advanced, successful and complex their society actually was.

But that's dead boring to the majority of the population isn't it... :rolleyes:

They want a bloody epic.

Then again, I guess it's not a documentary is it.

there just seemed to be this disproportionate focus on slavery, disease, failed crops, decay, bloodshed, cultural practices which were not even applicable etc.

BTW Don't get me wrong, I did not mean their culture was a savage concept AT ALL!! :wink: man i hope it didn't come across like that I know it can be difficult to detect sarcasm in text.

I'm extremely interested in pre-Columbian American cultures.

I meant apparently so-called "savage" in the eyes of the supposedly 'civilised' Catholic Church (fuckers), which coincidentally the films Director happens to be a member of... and the last 5 mins with the Spanish missionary galleons conveniently arriving to seemingly save the Maya from themselves left me feeling very bitter.

a good read:

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1217-24.htm