The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Movies that changed your life

i studied cinema, mainly looking at film music

Velvet, thats great and nice to know! Atm im wrtiting an article on the work of Peter Thomas. He made the film music for the Edgar Wallace Movies and some other cool vintage stuff.

Hey EG, will you be talking to Peter Thomas at all? Is he still alive?

I've always wanted to know what film or programme the Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra wrote the track" The World is Gone" for. I've had this song for a long time and could never find out anything about it but it turned up again on a German compilation album last year.

Do you know or could you ask him for me?

Edited by strangebrew

i do not know peter thomas i have to go and look him up now

He's a German late 60's, early 70's soundtrack composer, most well known for doing the Erich von Däniken "Chariots of the God's" film.

Jacobs Ladder- great film, quite disturbing but beautiful and sad.

Spinal Tap- used to be hilarious. then i started touring with my band and now it hits too close to home.

Waking Life- amazing. i could easily see this changing lives.

Holy Mountain

El Topo

Santa Sangre

Anything by Alejandaro Jodorowski.... surreal, epic, hallucinogenic films... arty as fuck but you have to appreciate the scope of this mans vision....

Trees Lounge- great film directed by Steve Buscemi.

Living In Oblivion- probably one of my favourite movies. also directed by Steve Buscemi....go source it now. it's hilarious.

keep digging.

AAAARRRRR!! but terminator of course!!! and now I want to blow up everything to bits!!!!

I like reality or on reality based WW2 shit. just to remind me of some of the shit that went on. What fucked up shit humans have lived trough. after all WW2 had an astronomical impact on how the future unfolded afterwards.

but any historical or just plain good researched docu shit chokes my chicken.

but to say films that have had an impact...... with all the mind miles of TV I have in my head... hehehe...... all have helped in the formation of ideas and creativity / expression of myself.

One movie that impressed me was Schindlers list. We watched in a teather when it just came out, with some of the classes of my school back then. I was too young to have an idea back then of the enormity of it all. Watched it again not to long ago and found it to be a gripping story again, especially now that I know more about WW2.

gjhkhjklh

Edited by Teljkon

Hi Strangebrew, yeah we are working on an Interview that is planned to take place tomorrow in Cologne. Not sure if it is going to happen though as his schedule will be pretty busy that day. He will be in cologne at 1 pm to present his biography and to promote the new project "Soundtrack Cologne"! http://www.soundtrackcologne.de/.

I will definately ask him if we´re doing the interview! Thanks for the input!

Edited by Evil Genius

In a quite literal sense, Strange Games. Only because the subject matter (SPOILER IF YOU HAVN'T SEEN IT) is that fiction/reality are two sides of the same coin in how they create one another, watching the movie, there was some metafiction references and the question of the viewer, vicariously, being a part of what is being portrayed, which made it quite disturbing. at the same time it was a nice myth akin to the likes of Hannibal Lector, in that high society is educated and eloquent and able of much, but they're all fucked in the head because of their prestige.

Honestly didn't make that big of an impression compared to say, Donnie Darko, 12 Monkeys, The Fountain and all those headtrips, It was just a seriously fucked up headtrip, like Charles Manson saying he's your reflection, *shudder*.

Mulholland Drive... that's a dream within a dream, a metaphor of metaphors, i love it.

Edited by The Dude

Ooh, I have to say that Dead Poets Society changed my life, I saw it for the first time about a week ago, I loved it.

Naked Lunch :blink:

Hmm, don't know if anythings really changed my life but "Naked", the Mike Leigh film, certainly packed a punch.

Tampopo

Fear and Loathing

Braindead

Guesthouse Paradiso

someone else's embarrassing list

Bikini Island

Revenge of the Nerds

hellraiser

Nice thread...

As far as movies that I remember having great impact on me [not changing my life though, that's too dramatic] while watching, I will give four examples:

Requiem for a dream

Apocalypse now!

Hostel 2 [very absorbed , very intense, and felt dirty while watching, that was recently]

Magic [and unknown gem, a psycho thriller with A.Hopkins from 1978, see it!]

====

I have been very INTO films from time to time and developed a good instinct to trace unknown gems and weird films. I have also been interested in film editing and soundtrack, done myself some shorts with some friends for which I composed and edited [2004-2005]. Anyways, here's some list of my tastes, older and newer in cinema

Hertzog [great to have Kinsky in, as mentioned]

Greenaway

Jodorowski

P. Jackson early work

Cronenberg [the god of biohorror, too many masterpieces to mention]

Woody Allen

John Waters [the pope of bad taste, making masterpieces out of trash]

Troma films [mindless pleasure]

Lars Von Trier

Mikael Haneke, but especially Funny Games which got me interested in him

Sidney Lummet, especially the unknown masterpiece Equus, also director of masterpiece The Network

Nikos Nikolaides, by far the most interesting greek director IMO

Pedro Almodovar, such a charismatic creator, Love all of his work, haven't seen last two though..

David lynch

Paolo Pasolini

Ken Russel

ozzie film Body melt, it rules! ;)

Czech film 'Faust' (1994)

Joerg Buttgereit [famous for Nekromantik saga]

Killing Zoe (1993), much better than Tarantino similar styled films IMO

R.Rodriguez, also better than Tarantino IMO too

Antonioni late work

Swimming to cambodia , also an unknow gem, this film is a monologue actually but you will fucking like it I guarantee

Other films that should be mentioned

Night of the iguana

La planète sauvage [1973, animation)

Delicatessen

Accion mutante

Dom durakov [house of fools]

anyways, I got a huge list.... I have studied splatter/horror/weird/extreme cinema but also more serious shit, unknown hidden gems, b-movies, you name it. I haven't been searching too much these last years though, I even haven't got to see Cronenberg's lasts f.e. Also sure I have missed many new films, as I always tended to search for older hidden gems for years. I have a thing for retro, I was posting in that nostalgia thread the other day, but couldn't get it posted for some reason... Too many photos I think?

One is sure, if you are really interested in authentic, original, essential cinema, check my list/PM me, even if you hate my posts ;)

Edited by mutant

Nice taste in movies, Mutant! The german horror movie magazine im writing for developed from a splatter fanzine 10 years ago. Buttgereit writes for the same magazine and meanwhile he does some great live readings and such similar stuff. Very recommendable! We have lots of commonalities there. It´s really great that someone else but me knows movies like Nekromantik, Bad Taste, Toxic Avenger, Salo and all the other splatter classics...

Edited by Evil Genius

a lot of my fav films have already been mentioned so i wont go there... but great that i havent heard of some of them, so i can check them out.

when i was a kid i watched The Emerald Forest ... with the American boy who grows up with an Amazonian tribe, and the loggers are encroaching on their jungle. i remember being so saddened by this film as an 8 year old, i guess the whole path of destruction was dawning on me. maybe i lost some childhood naivety with that film. i think Terminator2 affected me in a similar way, after that i was terrified of a nuclear bomb lol.

I'm not sure if any movies have changed my life per se, but here's a list of some of the ones I love.

Sex and Lucia

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

Requiem for a Dream

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hotel Rwanda

City of God

Nowhere in Africa

American History X

The Weeping Camel

Baraka

Magic [and unknown gem, a psycho thriller with A.Hopkins from 1978, see it!]

I remember Magic, the thing I remember most is Ann Margaret in a pink sweater - va va voom!

Body Melt! :lol:

The scariest thing in that was Lisa McCune's eyebrows!

Best film and the one I've paid the most times to see at the cinema is Koyaanisqatsi.

ozzie film Body melt, it rules
Body Melt!

Hahahaha, harold from neighbours finest moment :D

Drinking detergent never looked so good.

Dude, i know that movie. Isnt that a totally trashy splatter movie? Didnt know it was Australian.

btw, strangebrew. Unfortunately the interview with Peter Thomas didnt take place. I had planned to ask your question but unfortunately our schedules didnt match. But maybe i can answer your question when i get a free copy of his biography. I´m working on it. bye Eg

As a adult these movies had a profound effect on me:

fear n loathing

Pi

requiem of a dream (epic++)

acid house (was like a bad acid trip)

matrix

human traffic

As a child, i was even more affected

never ending story

alice in wonderland (i actually sleep walked out of my house after watching this movie)

IT (clown movie by king ... lol)

sometimes i wonder if watching childrens movies like alice in wonderland and never ending story shaped me in someway to be more open minded to psychedelics, the imagination energy those movies put into me was intense. I can still recall the memory of watching them when i was young and the feelings they conveyed... definatly printed into my brain for life.

Edited by Eth_Head

Yeah, nice to know for me too EG. Haven't been on this stuff for years now, especially splatter. There are some titles I downloaded back then and still haven't got to see.

Body Melt is not exactly scary, but it's tense, trashy and with a brain, a concept... A very special film, in a good way, I really love it. Great soundtrack too...

There are whole lot more films I like...

Films I loved as a younger kid were Indiana Jones , Back to the future trilogy is great, Terminator 2 is an all time classic. Many hollywood action are nice and pleasant to watch over and over, when i right mood. Total recall is a great one too.

'LA story' feat Steve Martin and 'As good as it gets' feat. Nicholson are two of my best comedy-romance, a genre I usually dislike... Very nice and funny yet touching

'Weekend at Bernies' was a hit of my childhood. I had watched this tens of times.

Groundhog day feat. Bill Murray is a great comedy too. I remember this because I was bursting with laughter the first time I was seeing this!

Neverending Story

The Dark Crystal - Inducing my love of all things esoteric/fantastical/"psychedelic"

Labyrinth

Nightmare On Elm Street - watched it when I was 6 and LOVED it, didn't have nightmares or anything. Absolutely love horror movies. Stephen King's my favourite author now.

Fear And Loathing - Never before had a movie made me want to take drugs as badly as this did.

Oh damn I know there's more movies but can't remember them now :(

sometimes i wonder if watching childrens movies like alice in wonderland and never ending story shaped me in someway to be more open minded to psychedelics, the imagination energy those movies put into me was intense. I can still recall the memory of watching them when i was young and the feelings they conveyed... definatly printed into my brain for life.

I absolutely agree with this.

Edit: Oops forgot Baraka! Absolutely breathtaking. Made me feel so many emotions, and so deeply at the same time.

Edited by FancyPants

yhukfuykf

Edited by Teljkon