The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Birdwing

Pach Flower

Just came home today to have a look at my plants and noticed that one of my pach's is just starting to push out a flower my first one yet whoo hoo!!!

but I have a question how long does the flower usually take to fully bloom??

As I'm heading down to EGA on friday and I'm thinkin I'll probably gonna end up missing the display being away all next week.

The strange thing is the cacti that this flower is forming on is from a 50cm cutting I got off a fairly old plant (Cheers holymountain!!!) that I only planted around a month ago.

pach.jpg

I doubt that it will actually bloom, I also have cuttings of the same plant with many little flower capsules on them but with the lack of energy from any substantial root systems I'm not expecting any of the flowers to fully develop, rather they might just wilt and drop off the plant. I could be totally wrong but that's the way I see it with these cuttings. It is quite probable however that you will get some flowers next year... :)

You'll be fine.. if it does bloom (and I've never had any start and then stop), it'll be a good 4-6 weeks in my experience. I've never had a pc clone pach though, so ymmv. They tend to push out the black/grey bud which seems to sit there for weeks, as if doing a check of some sort. Then all of a sudden it'll grow to full size and bloom within a week or so.

Cheers guys.

Your prob right C I couldn't imagine she'd have enough roots yet but we'll see how she goes...

Last year pachs all around Aus seemed to flower at the same time, my spach was in sync and it was around Dec 30th, I reckon you will be fine.

sweet, I have pedros with the same look, high and low, and was wondering if they were flowers or pups, it's all good, at least they are doing something

[edit] to a novice eye, I say thats a pup.

Edited by rogdog

I'd say it will definitely flower. I've had unrooted, unpotted cuttings flower just lying on their side in the shed. It's got all summer to develop.

Eight weeks,actually seven weeks three days and a morning,but who's counting.

Hey Birdwing (are you my arm??)Just my

2 cents but i reckon thats a pup also,have few

myself and looks bang on. B)

Maybe...

Nah i'm pretty sure it's a flower...but I'm no expert. ..I'll be keeping an eye on it's developments.

Definitely flower buds I've got heaps of those fuzzy buds on my cuts that are from that large pach holy mountain so generously distributed, you can even see heaps of them in holy mountains ethno garden thread on his cuttings, I'll take some pictures of the flower buds on mine later and post. Thanks for that info bit, I wasn't sure if the flowers would have enough energy and nutrients being delivered to them to fully develop without hardly any root structure, will be interesting to see, just wish had some different pollen from another trich variety to cross with them if they do open.

Definitely flower buds I've got heaps of those fuzzy buds on my cuts that are from that large pach holy mountain so generously distributed, you can even see heaps of them in holy mountains ethno garden thread on his cuttings, I'll take some pictures of the flower buds on mine later and post. Thanks for that info bit, I wasn't sure if the flowers would have enough energy and nutrients being delivered to them to fully develop without hardly any root structure, will be interesting to see, just wish had some different pollen from another trich variety to cross with them if they do open.

The theory is that they require a certain size root structure to start developing the flowering hormone, but the hormone is tored in the tips, therefore when you cut the tip of a mature plant it will contain the hormone and may flower up to a year after being cut. After which it will not flower again until it has had time to regrow it's roots. Seems to hold true for the most part for me.

Yeah, having another look, the fuzzy buds are all up high, and the pups are down low. I sure hope this December flower thing happens, I would love to have get some fresh seed

i think you would be lucky to get the flower to set fruit on an unrooted cutting, the flower should develop at least and will produce pollen for you to put onto another established flowering tricho..

i think you would be lucky to get the flower to set fruit on an unrooted cutting, the flower should develop at least and will produce pollen for you to put onto another established flowering tricho..

i think mine is flowering as well! which is weird cause its a 60cm mid cut that is damaged. it is just starting to throw out roots (they are at 4cm) nowhere near established. but this appears??? i have heaps bigger established pach and thats not flowerin?

post-4590-1258361115_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1258361134_thumb.jpg

I woke up this morning and went out to see my cactus' and my spach was flowering in full glory, I wasn't expecting the flower for another 3 weeks.

Maybe take some pics when I get home.