The Corroboree
DarkSpark

ID these please regular cacti

Question

ok so these were a few cuttings given to me a year or two ago by some friends. Never found out what they are and now my first one is starting to get sick, and i need too figure out what it is.

getting these little brown dimples/brown spots on it, appears as though its moisture related almost looks like acid burn type shit, as well as yellowing leaves. only in shitty cheap potting mix and i haven't been fertilizing them enough lately (maybe the cause of yellowing)

The guy told me it was a "night cactus" or some crap no idea why or if it is relevant in any way. i just love the way the new centre branch is growing, with ribs for strength i will get some close ups tomorrow morning.

also the other one(first pic) is just some crazy thing that grows everywhere around here its pretty cool

th_112_0036-1.jpg

th_112_0037.jpg

th_112_0038-1.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

Hi Darkspark, the first is some Euphorbia and the second one could be an Epicactus but the pic is too small to say for sure. bye Eg

Hi Darkspark, the first is some Euphorbia and the second one could be an Epicactus but the pic is too small to say for sure. bye Eg

fuck i hate photobucket, never uploads my pics propperly >=[

and any ideas on tratments for the fungusy brownyblack spots ??? I would really like to heal them as i am hoping that she will finally flower this year, started as a 5CM cutting 2 years ago now its a beatutifull largeish plant

Edited by DarkSpark

fuck i hate photobucket, never uploads my pics propperly >=[

That's strange :( Photobucket has always been awesome for me.

Check your settings for uploads - click on More Options (first pic), and see if it's set like this (second pic):

If it's already set like this, try choosing the 17" screen (1024 x 768) option

post-1500-1255746793_thumb.jpg

post-1500-1255746807_thumb.jpg

Edited by bit

ok thanks for the help bit, i am used ot uploading pics by FTP to my own host ;)

got some bigger ones now hopefully

edit: worked, i just put thumbnails here click em to goto bigger ones.. will edit these into the first post as well to avoid confusion.

th_112_0036-1.jpg

th_112_0037.jpg

th_112_0038-1.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

The top one isnt actually a cactus, its Euphorbia trigona

the bottom one looks like it might be disocactus nelsonii, could just as easily be an Epiphyllum. hard to tell for sure without a flower

The top one isnt actually a cactus, its Euphorbia trigona

the bottom one looks like it might be disocactus nelsonii, could just as easily be an Epiphyllum. hard to tell for sure without a flower

Thanks shortly, after having a flick through some stuff now knowing the right direction i have found the second one to be an Epiphyllum, the Disocactus has a different shaping in the "branches" and so on. I will have to wait until flower to figure out what variety but never the less at least i have an idea.

Anyone have any idea how long after a cutting has rooted it would be likely to flower ? they look beautiful i cant wait :D found some pics on the net where people have put a climbing style frame around the pots, might try and get some of my branches tied up a bit to get her of the ground, also any ideas on the browny spots, gradually forming into holes in the plant :( it looks sick.

thanks for the ID help, if i get any more i will just post them in this thread to keep things un-cluttered.

I grow a bunch of different types of epi's, all but the very largest are in hanging pots, which mimic their natural environment.

Flowering seems to occur on older mature stems (leaves) and when cuttings are made of those, flowering can occur within a year of rooting out, given favorable growing conditions.

here's some flower pics:

post-3765-1255885521_thumb.jpg

post-3765-1255885710_thumb.jpg

post-3765-1255885883_thumb.jpg

Zelly they are gorgeous, i cant wait until iget a flower *fingers crossed*, it seems much better this year though growth wise putting on aheap of new "branches" and so on the hanging pot would be a great idea for them. as it would keepthe branches off the ground, i will get one soon. And some DECENT potting mix. lol

I really hope i can get my hands on some more Epiphyllum as the way they grow really fascinates me. And the flowers look incredible. I got some more pictures of some cool features on it but the credit has just about run out, i will upload them tonight after work,

one of the branches has sort of seperated from the rest of the plant, it then grew out roots which have solidly re-attached it to the main plant looks cool. also the way it gets the ribs in its new stem for strength is awesome, it is growing straight up in the air compared to the others which are hanging down, bizzarre but beautiful.

It is like it heard us talking about flowers, went out to water it today and it appears a red flower is appearing :D

this is assuming the flowers grow from the same area as the new branches/leaves, with the vein leading upto it. Should be great, hoping to get more than just the one !

havent got the hanging pot yet, decided to buy a tall ground pot, because some of the branches are growing straight up i think it will look better at around waist level. will edit in some pictures once i get my keys and camera outta my car.

epiphylems are growing on me also, such nice flowers!post-4908-1257729363_thumb.jpg

29102009_001_.jpg

29102009_001_.jpg

Well i now have three flowers and some funky new branches growing... it is like the plant learnt that by growing branches that hang they hit the ground and get all rotten, so it is growing with ribs for support straight up in the air quite cool really... flowers aren't open yet but they are huge, and have started to curl back upwards (were hanging straight down initially) its really cool, loving it :)

heres some pictures maybe they will help with an id

gallery_31518_666_112062.jpg

gallery_31518_666_178923.jpg

gallery_31518_666_210207.jpg

cheers.

Edited by DarkSpark

i got one similar but i dont know the name either , but it is one of the more leafy ones in appearance..... thinner, wider leaves which curl to get the light.

Thanks culebra22, i looked up some pictures on google and they match it pretty much perfectly. Also one of the flowers looks like it is about to burst open, so tonight may be the first night i get to see a flower :) finish work at 9:30 that would be something nice to come home to :) and i can see slightly white petals starting to come through under the reddy spikes now which makes me agree even more with the ID

thanks again man, when they open i will post some pictures :D

Thanks culebra22, i looked up some pictures on google and they match it pretty much perfectly. Also one of the flowers looks like it is about to burst open, so tonight may be the first night i get to see a flower :) finish work at 9:30 that would be something nice to come home to :) and i can see slightly white petals starting to come through under the reddy spikes now which makes me agree even more with the ID

thanks again man, when they open i will post some pictures :D

Don't forget to stick your nose in while looking at them.... divine scent! And the flower should still be open til 8 or so in the morning...

Well as predicted the flower has sprung open, got home at 9.30 peeked out the window to see this beautiful blooming flower out there :D couldn't get any real decent shots of it because its dark and the white glows too much with flash, will tyr getting up early tomorrow for some more, better, pictures... still another 2 flowers on it though yet... also i notice the flowers rather than having 1 "vein" running to them they actually have like 4-5 smaller squiqggly veins compared to the one fat straight one for new stems... another cool little thing...

a quick question, what it the best way to grow a cutting off one of these??? i would like to give a couple away to some friends, as this one was a gift to me, and would like to get them settled first... just into some potting mix of some sort ?? or water, i have clonex if that would help lol... anywho enjoy the pictures...

and as for the smell my mrs noticed it i am a bit blocked up i thought it was just the lavender but its not, very sweet.

gallery_31518_666_929307.jpg

gallery_31518_666_416894.jpg

gallery_31518_666_667267.jpg

The 'neatest' way to strike E. oxypetalum is to remove a whole 'blade' where it joins a stem, and plant in an open, orchid-type potting mix, with 5-10cm under the soil. They're epiphytes, so they like regular moisture, but they also like free drainage. No additional treatment is necessary - I've always had striking with absolutely no hormone treatment.

If you are not concerned about having a truncated blade on your parent plant, you can get away with using a 10-15cm tip, with 3 or 4 aureolae along each side. Even if the cutting continues to grow from the tip once it roots, you'll have new stems emerging from the aureolae at some point, and these will eventually grow to create the most robust of the new growth. In fact, I often cut the tip from a rooted cutting and replant it, and get another round of cuttings again. Eventually when I pot the final plants, the original pieces of blade from which they arose are just squarish bits of flatness that is buried, and the new plants are composed of three or four stems arising from the remnants of the old cut blade.

Watch out for scale on E. oxypetalum - it seems more vulnerable to it than the other epiphyllum species.

E. oxypetalum is a classic example of fractal growth - on a big plant one might have blades that have blades that have blades that have blades... Very cool!

If anyone is interested i would really like to expand my Epi collection and would be willing to trade some cuttings off this for some others if anyone wants. I also have a fair few acacia seeds and so on if anyone wants those... But i think i have a new fave plant type :) those flowers were unbelievable, spent like 4 hours sitting out the back last night enjoying the other two which opened last night... going to attempt to make a pot pourri base out of the flowers, have heard they are a main ingredient in some.

also mine is growing really wierd now, as you stated fractal growth, i have blades to the power of three, meaning a blade off a blade off a blade. but as well as that many of the blades are growing with ribs perpendicular to the blade for strength, and it works too, can barely move the branches with hte "reinforcement"

but if anyone wants a reasonable clipping off this baby let me know.

just thought i would pop back in and let everyone know i have experimented with a few methods of cloning the epi, found that placing the "blade" into soil while it is still attached to the plant developed roots the quickest, though cutting them off and intoa few pieces worked well too. the first method can be quite awkward (getting dirt under the blades and partially burying them. But i had roots in a 1/4 the time, can then cut it off like 2-3 cms up and do the same again, well more like 5-10 now i look at it, and again until the blade is gone (i am using my old growth which has got some burns etc and overall needs to go around 3 blades will make 6-8 cuttings i will distribute to family and friends)

Edited by DarkSpark

:shroomer: Edited by blowng

:(

i actually figured this out as a branch grew into the ground by itself at the base and rooted. anywho off to bed work early

edit: a mate brought me some cuttings off a cacti out back of his place today... it doesn't seem to fully match any of the descriptions i could find on here what do you guys think it is :) it has just flowered/is flowering i will get him to take mne some pictures of the flowers :)

2nd cutting laying down

gallery_31518_666_932492.jpg

larger main cutting closeup

gallery_31518_666_953396.jpg

this one has quite good focus at the bottom left of the shot on the spines. there are two or three tiny brown spines in each.

gallery_31518_666_395971.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

From all the loking i did overnight and this morning i deduced a pachanoi of some sort ? would this be a reasonable assumption ??? If so correct me if i am wrong but the best way to plant a cut is to let it dry for a few weeks in a shady area for a couple of weeks to help keep mould out then plant a few cms into the ground...

I'm not an ID expert by any means but that looks like a cereus to me because the ribs are skinny.

However, that is a good way to plant them. :)

yep cereus (Peruvian Apple)

yep cereus (Peruvian Apple)

I will agree after looking into some cereus cacti(lol no pun intended) but i don't think it is peruvian apple, look at the tiny spines. they are uniform the whole way over the plant. I will go take some piccys of the trunk (yes i said trunk its gnarly as) when the sun comes up and my mate gets up for work. will probably have edited them in before anyone gets to read this :)

I know it isn't a "special" cactus but if anyone wants a cut let me know ASAP the thing will be bulldozed by early next week. the flowers look as though they would have been beautiful, who knows might get to see one when i am down there *fingers crossed* there was a few almost ready to open yesterday.

edit: i stand corrected, much thanks to Mac for a positive ID see the below link, identical cacti. there are so many different variations...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CUPnTSApPjo/STlbXWzljyI/AAAAAAAABUM/54IuQtOip_A/s320/IMG_0125.JPG&imgrefurl=http://john.in.thecalifornias.org/2008/12/cereus-repandus-peruvian-apple-cactus.html&usg=__ETK3cZaWGJ_wyLRF4FE_Q8X7TX4=&h=240&w=320&sz=12&hl=en&start=46&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=iUQic9RBFKVq0M:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPeruvian%2BApple%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D36%26um%3D1

Edited by DarkSpark