The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pacha

New children from the nursery and ID request

Lophs, lithops and the other species which I have been trying to ID, any help? I wonder if this loph is actually a diffusa and not williamsii, have a look at the pic Ive taken in the nursery.

Thanks

post-6367-1254830660_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254830763_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254830858_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254830922_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254830957_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254831004_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254831047_thumb.jpg

post-6367-1254831250_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hey pacha, there are some good threads regarding lopho ID. i'd recommend Ace's pinned 'identifying the lophophora genus, a very simple guide' thread in the cacti & succ identification section http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15543 it should be of a lot of help for your questions. there are actually a lot of obvious (if you know what you're looking for) distinguishing differences between most of the different species & varieties of loph. the most obvious being flower colour & shape, morphology etc

those are some beautiful plants you have there man, as are a lot of the plants i've seen you post pics of. it looks like your part of the middle east (& perhaps the middle east in general) has a beautiful diversity of cacti & seems to be a wonderful climate for them. it's great to see someone representing your part of the world :) as far as i know theres not that many members here from the middle east (i could be wrong), i really dig getting a look at the ethno happenings of that area & your first hand knowledge.

hey pacha, there are some good threads regarding lopho ID. i'd recommend Ace's pinned 'identifying the lophophora genus, a very simple guide' thread in the cacti & succ identification section http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15543 it should be of a lot of help for your questions. there are actually a lot of obvious (if you know what you're looking for) distinguishing differences between most of the different species & varieties of loph. the most obvious being flower colour & shape, morphology etc

those are some beautiful plants you have there man, as are a lot of the plants i've seen you post pics of. it looks like your part of the middle east (& perhaps the middle east in general) has a beautiful diversity of cacti & seems to be a wonderful climate for them. it's great to see someone representing your part of the world :) as far as i know theres not that many members here from the middle east (i could be wrong), i really dig getting a look at the ethno happenings of that area & your first hand knowledge.

Hey there, thank you for your comments, I will look through the link.

Indeed where I live it is sort of a mix Desert\Mediterranean climate which seems to be perfect for cacti. During summer there's lot of daylight and temps get 30-40 degrees Celsius. In winter time we get occasional rain, recently it has been very dry for each year that goes by, temperature is usually 10-20 degrees Celsius, it is very rare that we get the freeze here. Now we are at the middle of autumn, the cacti are still growing even with no water and no sign of dormancy because of the high temps. We do have a small community of psychonauts that gets bigger and bigger on the right direction, it is a new gig here and not many people are aware of sacred cacti and how our climate is perfect for them. Many ethneogenic knowledge that was used by the ancient cultures was lost, our local plants are Syrian Rue, Phalaris, Belladonna, Mandrake, Datura and of course Cannabis, unfortunately we don't get much mushies... :\

Back to the main issue: any help regarding the ID of the other plants I posted pics of(Other than the Lophs and Lithops)?

Bottom right is a Stapelia sp.

The mesemb on the top right looks a Titanopsis calcarea but I could be wrong with the species.

Not sure about the others. Nice plants though Pacha. :)

Loving pic 3 Pacha. Not because its a big one (well, that too i suppose) but because its great to see an outdoor loph growing naturally in the ground, between those rocks, look like it fits perfectly, beautiful! Not something I've ever seen in Australia, always in pots here it would seem.

Bottom right is a Stapelia sp.

The mesemb on the top right looks a Titanopsis calcarea but I could be wrong with the species.

Not sure about the others. Nice plants though Pacha. :)

Thank you with the ID, it's hard to tell but I've been looking in for Stapelia photos, I believe it to be Gigantea, they have one of the most amazing flowers which looks like rotten flesh and carry putrid smell to attract flies.

Stapelia_gigantea_flower_and_bud.JPG

You are also right about Titanopsis Calcarea.

Thank you for your help! ;)

I am still missing the ID of the cacti in the first pic in this thread, looks to be Trichocereus sp. doesn't it?

Loving pic 3 Pacha. Not because its a big one (well, that too i suppose) but because its great to see an outdoor loph growing naturally in the ground, between those rocks, look like it fits perfectly, beautiful! Not something I've ever seen in Australia, always in pots here it would seem.

Hey there Alice. This Caespitosa is grown in the nursery greenhouse, I guess they formed the best conditions to mimic its natural environment, it is thriving and very happy specimen. I hope mine will do so well one day. :)

post-6367-1254903383_thumb.jpg

thats one trippy flower, thanks for sharing :drool2:

Damn, to live in a country where you can just rock up to a nursery and buy Lophs! Great pics Pacha, really nice plants.

That big caespitosa cluster is awesome!

Lithops are an amazing plant too. The range of colours they can come in are incredible. So often they are void of any chlorophyll at all it seems, instead being various hues or red, orange, purple and blue.

Pacha awesome plants there, TFS

That stapelia flower is unreal.

Not something I've ever seen in Australia, always in pots here it would seem.

It can and has been done. :wink:

lophophora sp outdoor

Edited by culebra22

I am still missing the ID of the cacti in the first pic in this thread, looks to be Trichocereus sp. doesn't it?

I'm not shure but I think it is a Echinocereus. I don't have any suggestions which species though.

Really beautiful pictures!

I'm not shure but I think it is a Echinocereus. I don't have any suggestions which species though.

Really beautiful pictures!

Yes it looks much like my Echinocereus scheeri. They are also quite active I heard somewhere.

Stapelia apparently makes a good graft stock for Hoodia but as it is not a cactus you can't graft a cactus to it.