The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Police smash mother-daughter drug dealing ring - Orange

LINK

Police have arrested and charged three people, including a mother and daughter, during raids on an alleged drug dealing syndicate today at Orange in the state’s Central West.

In July this year, police formed Strike Force Felicity to target the supply of prohibited drugs within the Canobolas Local Area Command.

During the investigation strike force officers allegedly seized a quantity of drugs from suppliers operating in the Orange Central Business District.

Around 10am today, detectives arrested a 41-year-old woman in one of the main streets of Orange.

She was taken back to the Orange Police Station and charged with four counts of supply prohibited drug, one count of recruiting a child to engage in criminal activity and one count of breaching an apprehended violence order.

Strike force investigators allege the woman had enlisted her daughter, aged 16 at the time of the offences, to help her sell cannabis.

A short time later, officers arrested the teenager, now 17, outside the Orange Police Station.

She was charged with three counts of supply prohibited drug.

Also arrested during the operation were a 44-year-old man, charged with supply prohibited drug and prohibition on supply of certain substances otherwise than by wholesale.

All three have been refused bail and are due to appear before the Orange Local/Children’s Court today.

Investigations are continuing.

Edited by Chiral

LINK

Police have arrested and charged three people, including a mother and daughter, during raids on an alleged drug dealing syndicate today at Orange in the state’s Central West.

In July this year, police formed Strike Force Felicity to target the supply of prohibited drugs within the Canobolas Local Area Command.

During the investigation strike force officers allegedly seized a quantity of drugs from suppliers operating in the Orange Central Business District.

Around 10am today, detectives arrested a 41-year-old woman in one of the main streets of Orange.

She was taken back to the Orange Police Station and charged with four counts of supply prohibited drug, one count of recruiting a child to engage in criminal activity and one count of breaching an apprehended violence order.

Strike force investigators allege the woman had enlisted her daughter, aged 16 at the time of the offences, to help her sell cannabis.

A short time later, officers arrested the teenager, now 17, outside the Orange Police Station.

She was charged with three counts of supply prohibited drug.

Also arrested during the operation were a 44-year-old man, charged with supply prohibited drug and prohibition on supply of certain substances otherwise than by wholesale.

All three have been refused bail and are due to appear before the Orange Local/Children’s Court today.

Investigations are continuing.

i HAVE TO WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HALF THE WORLDS POLICE OFFICERS WHEN THIS FUTILE WAR ON DRUGS IS ENDED GUESS THAT WHY LIL KEV HAS NO INTENTION OF PUTTING AN END TO IT THE EMPLOYMENT FIGURES ALRAEDY LOOK BAD ENOUGH IMAGINE IF THEY HAD TO LAY OFF HALF THE NATIONS POLICE OFFICER BECAUSE THEIR WAS NO LONGER WORK FOR THEM IN PROSECUTING PEOPLE FOR WANTING TO ENJOY THEMSELVES

i HAVE TO WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HALF THE WORLDS POLICE OFFICERS WHEN THIS FUTILE WAR ON DRUGS IS ENDED GUESS THAT WHY LIL KEV HAS NO INTENTION OF PUTTING AN END TO IT THE EMPLOYMENT FIGURES ALRAEDY LOOK BAD ENOUGH IMAGINE IF THEY HAD TO LAY OFF HALF THE NATIONS POLICE OFFICER BECAUSE THEIR WAS NO LONGER WORK FOR THEM IN PROSECUTING PEOPLE FOR WANTING TO ENJOY THEMSELVES

I don’t have a problem with police pouncing on dealers as they are making illegal money without paying tax. It has little to do with Police trying to stop people enjoying themselves. The report states the lady was caught on one of the main streets of town – perhaps other citizens did not enjoy her dealing habits. Most stoners can and do grow or possess pot for personal enjoyment and never touch the law. Dealing is an entirely different ballgame.

If Cannabis were legalized and thus taxed there would be more than enough employment opportunities for both dealers and cops if it really came to that.

Having travelled a lot in the last few years I do find it strange that Australia seems to be one of the only countries that continually reports small drug busts in the news. It’s like we’re perpetually living in the 1980’s.

Edited by botanika

I prefer the laws on cannabis as they are. If they legalize it and tax it, then growing your own will attract far higher penalties than u already face. Just like tobacco is legal, but u can't grow ur own. Cannabis would be the same. I sorta see our laws as a free pass to grow pot and the fine IS the tax ( miniscule as it is), when and if u eventually get caught.

My mate from a foreign far away land where u get the death penalty for even the tiniest amount of pot, ensures me that hash and pot is farmed on a comercial size scale. Acres and acres of it. Shabu is clean and pure and even the chemist sells OTC meth/caffine mix in a little red pill.

Funny how western are so scared of jail time, but other poorer countries openly risk death to gain even the tiniest foothold in this world. Hell, in those countries, death is probably preferable to jail.

Can't you grow tobacco under the condition that you are taxed for doing it? I don't think it would be that bad to legalize pot and have it taxed. Sure it might start out as a hefty tax, but i'm sure i'd decrease a bit over time. Anyway, there are plenty of ways to avoid paying tax for such things anyway, just like people do now when they grow. At least if it were legal you wouldn't get jail time or it on your criminal record if u were caught...

Can't you grow tobacco under the condition that you are taxed for doing it?

Theoretically yes, but no, no licenses are issued.

Kind of like the US where pot became illegal due to tax reasons not due to it becoming a classified/controlled drug as such.

ie: it was illegal to grow/sell it without the correct tax stamps, the problem being that it was impossible to buy the stamps..

I prefer the laws on cannabis as they are. If they legalize it and tax it, then growing your own will attract far higher penalties than u already face. Just like tobacco is legal, but u can't grow ur own. Cannabis would be the same. I sorta see our laws as a free pass to grow pot and the fine IS the tax ( miniscule as it is), when and if u eventually get caught.

I absolutely disagree. I don't want a criminal conviction next to my name for enjoying MJ. I also don't want the nasty shit that's usually put in weed. I would prefer bush grown with TLC but I don't have that opportunity. Nor to grow my own. I want MJ legalised with certain restrictions and content regulation (ie no extender chemicals) I would happily pay a bit more for peace of mind.

I think I should clarify my dispisal of drug dealers although I'm very critical of current laws I in no way support people making money from their sale and not contributing to our health care system etc with tax dollars I think this is the primary reason IMO for legalising and taxing the money can end up where its supposed to be , not to mention as fancy brought up a bit more piece of mind that nothing is added to the cannabis for weight increasing or addiction inducing type purposes.

I seriously doubt if you really consider the economics of such a situation we will pay anymore for cannabis then we already are the hyperinflation on the industry due to the illegal nature of the plant is so high its ridiculous do you really think cannbis costs more to grow then any other fruit ,vegetable or herb, a criminal record for growing cannabis is far worse then any tax that could be imposed it stops you from visiting various countries overseas and can be very limiting on ones employment opportunities not to mention stays weith you for the rest of your life , personally I would be happy to pay for a license /tax year after year to avoid putting myself in situation

My previous comment about the police force becoming unemployed was based on the logic of legalisation if its far chaeper and sold through commercial means , then people would source from these places its really amazing the incentive a lower price can become for people... as a result no one would have a need for drug dealers ( or cannabis ones anyway ) if there is no demand then the underground market will cease to exist hence the police force could concentarte on real criminals instead of waste time and public funds chasing petty drug dealers , who will quickly be replaced as soon as they are taken off the street

From what I understand the main issues people have had in the past in countries where the government has taken over the growing and sales of cannabis is that the product is of a low quality and of low variability (leading to a high tolerance of what is already a low grade bud)

Because of this leading to people still wanting to source high potency, pungent and aesthetically pleasing buds in different strains both for tollerance reasons and for the fact that different strains have different effects on different illnesses.

Plus no doubt people who want buds that haven't been treated with insecticides etc so in the end the underground trade continues.

Even in places like Amsterdam there is an odd dichotomy where the choice buds seen in coffee shops are grown and sourced illegally even though it is sold legally. I can only assume this is happening because the government couldn't supply the quality people wanted?

Edited by AndyAmine.

I doubt it will be cheaper, look at the Netherlands, pot was/Is still ~the same price as Australia. The best option to eleviate u of your fears, would be for pot to be De-criminalized. As it is here in W.A. to a certain extent. Albeit a fairly arbitrary De-criminalization. It is better than nothing, especially for the casual smoker, the laws arn't really made to suit the pot head. Fair enough, we don't really want to encourage that in society either.

I personally don't think that legalizing it will eliminate the criminal element entirely either. Alot of tobacco is illegally imported every year into Australia for example. If pot stayed at the current price or close too, Which I imagine the government would ensure (to make maximum profit, remember they don't really give a shit about YOU) Then I am sure plenty of people would continue to grow to undercut the legal(taxed) pot. With pot quility, taste, strain so vaied. I can bet plenty of people won't be happy to buy the government approved pot. Opting rather to stay with the trusted dealers. If u r worried about the quality or content of your pot. Find a new dealer/grower with ethics :P If they grow hydro, make sure they use organic nutes and full flushes.

As far as taxes go, I honestly don't care. Maybe that's not entirely ethical, but hey. I am slightly cinical about the government, So tough shit to them. :P

[Yeah i do agree Andy there is definitely a great difference between legalisation and effective legalisation its hard to satisfy everyone I would hope if Australia ever went down this road they would learn from the past mistakes of other governments , I think a situation that would be more effective would be a potency rating scale similar to how alcohol is currently labelled I honestly think most recreational smokers would be happy with cannabis of 15-18 % but this is only relevant if we went down a road like we have already done with alcohol and tobacco. I would also suggest for legalisation to be effective people should be able to get different levels of license depending on the quanity they were going to grow , an audit based swystem on lisencees could be an effective means of keeping this in check I always we remember we are referring to policy that relates to human consumption of a drug hence there will always be some issues arising due to human nature no system is ever going to be perfect but IMO there are far better ones then what we currently have

Many people don't have a choice in where to source their herb. I agree that if it were legalised there would still be an underground trade but I think the amount of people who actually like their dope cut with shit is fewer than those of us who would be just as happy with it grown as any other cash crop or vegie - minus the crushed glass and other adulterants. I'm not fussed about it being "organic" as I'm not fussed with any other fruit or veg I buy from Woolworths. The full scope of varieties with as much information about it possible, as they seem to do in the Amsterdam and San Fran "cafes" (I've never been so I'm just going by what I've seen/heard/read) would be great I think! I don't think that if it were legalised there would only be a small variety made available with the amount of strains possible.

Hell all I want is freedom and the appropriate information to choose which one would suit me best, not be a criminal for simple use and posession (as it is in my state), not be exposed to shady, eye-twitching mofos who have no qualms selling ANYthing to ANYone (meth to kids, etc), and for a legal user to be able to obtain it relatively easily.

Failing that, I could easily live with decriminalisation as that's still a progression on the status quo.

Even in places like Amsterdam there is an odd dichotomy where the choice buds seen in coffee shops are grown and sourced illegally even though it is sold legally. I can only assume this is happening because the government couldn't supply the quality people wanted?

Technically it's still sold illegally. Holland doesn't have the power to unilaterally legalise cannabis. The United Nations International Drug Control Programme (UNDCP) makes the rules.

Holland chooses not to enforce certain laws, that doesn't make it legal & there's no way the Dutch government could actually start supplying...as far as i understand.