The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Spoons

Hearing Voices

Hey guys,

There was a report on The Js yesterday afternoon that I think you should all hear

WMP (Streaming): http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/mod_windows/thu.asx

MP3 (Download): http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/podcast/thursday.htm

The story follows a young girl named Mel who has been hearing a voice in her head since she was in her teens.

The voice tells her his name is Ron. Ron is systematically breaking her down, turning her into a shattered being.

She occasionally sees Ron manifest himself visually and she claims he is a spirit.

It goes without saying that she is in a tragic situation dealing with this demon its amazing that she's made it this far but as you can tell by her voice she is a very scared, broken young lady.

There is a follow up with a slide show here

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/notes/s2675907.htm

Thoughts? Comments?

Her voice was enough to scare the shit out of me!

Schizophrenia? Thought maybe that was obvious???

I don't see how if it were a spirit it would be so evil to do such a thing.

i wish i could find an old thread 'shaman's view of skizophrenia'

there is a model of skizophrenia where the self is being hijacked by astral flotsam. it seems like a fucked up way to be, i'm not sure i want to hear the poor girl's voice.

great listen. so very sad.

i've always been fascinated by auditory hallucinations, they're the main reason why i'm so interested in schizophrenia.

there are several great papers about the phenomenology of auditory hallucinations e.g. types of voices, "position" of the voices relative to the person, and what they talk about etc. there was one subject who reported that the voices give them useful information, like what to write on birthday cards in the office!

great listen. so very sad.

i've always been fascinated by auditory hallucinations, they're the main reason why i'm so interested in schizophrenia.

there are several great papers about the phenomenology of auditory hallucinations e.g. types of voices, "position" of the voices relative to the person, and what they talk about etc. there was one subject who reported that the voices give them useful information, like what to write on birthday cards in the office!

That would be.. not awesome, preferable?

I wonder why it seems to be typical that these voices direct the afflicted to self harm or harm others?

Why the torment? I mean it is known that these people present with elevated dopamine levels which would lead one to predict any associated hallucinations to be pleasant. No?

Have I got this all backward?

Maybe the voices tell them what they are scared of doing? I can't really add anything else. It was just a thought.

I too have a fascination in schizophrenia. Sometimes it's more to do with making sure i'm not going down that road (silly anxious thoughts take over sometimes) but it is also an incredibly interesting condition with much -, I think left unexplained. The thought of our mind, the thing we rely on in everyday life to possess you, to lose control. It's a scary thought...It's funny how drugs can do the same thing. Psychedelics especially. They totally take over. I'm rambling now.