The Corroboree
eexpee

What's wrong?

I just looked at my 30cm tall T. Peruvians and she has red like warts all around one section. Like a ring of red like warts. Could it be sunburn? It wasn't like that this morning but I gave her a little water and now the sun is one her and she suddenly has these. Sorry I don't have a working camera. Does anyone know?

Haha. They are actually more red-green than striking red actually. It has moved up a bit from the middle of the cactus now climbing upwards. There is more of it when the sun isn't directly on it. Help!

Fast moving? Sounds like an insect. Cut a wart open and see what happens

I'm not so sure I want to do that though....the lumps are hard. I would describe them more as boil like things actually...

They'll scab over one way or another. Nothing to lose by cutting one

dont worry to much, it will be fine. position in full sun.

Okay, hopefully I know how to attack images, here are some bad pics of my cactus. I had to you my built in webcam, so one is upside down... Its around the middle if you can see...I actually think it could be a rash from the insulation that was being done on the roof maybe?

post-6041-1251173819_thumb.jpg

post-6041-1251173836_thumb.jpg

Edited by eexpee

I can't really see anything in the pics, but I have had something similar. In the case of what I am talking about, if you cut the entire cactus to the core, you find that there is some kind of woody structure leading from the core to the spots on the surface, leading me to think it is an attempt to send out roots or something, but when they get to the surface it is dry and no soil so they stop there. That is just conjecture, but I never found a parasite, and it seems to not harm the cactus. Might be something completely different to what you are talking about though.

it's no big deal, it's pretty common. probably to do with too much water. often happens in winter when they've been too wet for a while. similar to black rot, it just forms differently. sometimes if it stays wet for extended periods it may progress to black rot but usually it just heals up, can leave a bit of disfigurement but there are a million things which will leave a bit of disfigurement on your cacti, unless they live in a vacuum = no big deal