The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ayjay101

Party drug fuelled Maroons

EXPLOSIVE claims have emerged from the ruins of Queensland's failed bid for a State of Origin clean sweep, with allegations some players were dabbling in a home-made party drug made by mixing a prescription sleeping tablet with the energy drink Red Bull.

As the dust settled on NSW's spiteful 28-16 win at Suncorp Stadium, stories began to emerge about the party-time approach of some players in the build-up to the match.

Maroons coach Mal Meninga is reportedly furious at the lack of professionalism of some of his charges and will, with team manager Steve Walters, present a full debrief on the series to Queensland Rugby League boss Ross Livermore.

Despite the stern warning issued to the players following Nate Myles' disgraceful performance at a Central Coast hotel, which resulted in him being suspended by the NRL for six weeks, it has been reported a group of players caught taxis to Surfers Paradise after the Monday night team dinner and did not return to camp until the early hours of the morning.

So lax was the approach of some players, it is understood the Maroons' final training session on Origin eve was a disaster as squad members struggled to shake off the effects of a week in which they burnt the candle at both ends.

However, while speculation of all-night drinking sessions are hardly new to Origin football, which has long enjoyed stories of famed bonding sessions, the suggestion some players were mixing high-caffeine drink Red Bull with insomnia drug Stilnox as a party supplement is cause for alarm. Stilnox, found in the New York apartment of actor Heath Ledger when he died last year of a prescription drug overdose, has a similar effect to cocaine and other party drugs when it is combined with alcohol or energy drinks such as Red Bull.

While to date officials have publicly played down rumours surrounding some of the Maroons squad, it is understood several clubs have expressed concerns about what went on. Officials from three clubs said they were aware of allegations some players were using Stilnox in the lead-up to Origin III.

Inquiries by The Australian yesterday revealed the dangerous combination of Stilnox and Red Bull is in vogue with professional footballers across all codes.

By combining the two, footballers avoid the adverse effects of heavy alcohol intake and escape the ramifications of a positive drug test. A representative of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority confirmed Stilnox was not on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list.

President of the Queensland branch of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia Tim Logan said taking Stilnox with alcohol or some other concoction was fraught with danger.

"Because of its fairly strong (psychogenic) effects it can (be), and has been, abused by people," Logan said.

"But as I said it is an extremely dangerous practice and there are numerous reports of people displaying bizarre, dangerous and even life-threatening behaviour when it is taken incorrectly or in excess or, as I said, in a manner other than the one it is designed for."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was unaware of allegations some Queensland players had used Stilnox in the lead-up to Origin III. However, he said he was monitoring the QRL's investigation into the camp.

"We have no evidence of that but understand the QRL is looking into the entire week," Gallop said.

"It's not a banned substance but it's a concern for health reasons." Two years ago, in the wake of Andrew Johns' drug confession, it emerged players across the NRL were experimenting with Stilnox. At the time, it was reported the players were mixing sleeping pills with Red Bull and alcohol.

However, the suggestion it occurred in the lead-up to an Origin game has the potential to leave a stain on the game. It also threatens to take some of the gloss off the Maroons' historic series win, their fourth in succession.

Livermore yesterday insisted he had received no complaints from club officials and called on any with concerns to contact him.

Told of the alarming claims of some players using Stilnox as a stimulant, Livermore said: "I haven't heard any of that.

"Whoever you're hearing this from, tell them to ring us."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said he was also unaware of the allegations, but he expected the QRL to report any issues that may have emanated from camp.

"The only thing I can say is that I would expect the ARL would be on top of any issues with their team," Carr said.

"As I haven't heard anything from them, I have no reason to think there's an issue. One way or the other it's in the hands of the QRL. We will wait to hear from them."

Link

It's crazy the lengths they're going to for a legal big night out.

The mere thought of a pack of meat head rugby players out on the town together under the influence of a stilnox/red bull/alcohol combo is bloody frightening!

I wouldn't be surprised if they get into the Stilnox for no reason other than having a legitimate excuse that they don't remember/have no control over their actions when partying. Thus can plead innocent. If that's the main reason they do it... wow, less respect for footballers than I ever thought possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get into the Stilnox for no reason other than having a legitimate excuse that they don't remember/have no control over their actions when partying. Thus can plead innocent. If that's the main reason they do it... wow, less respect for footballers than I ever thought possible.

Stupid thing is that such a combo induces a delerium that prevents the experiencer from literally knowing what they're doing, making the whole thing a pointless and extremely risky exercise... this coupled with their powerful bodies, juvenile nature, violent tendencies, pack mentality etc makes for frightening possibilities

such a combo induces a delerium that prevents the experiencer from literally knowing what they're doing

does it?

i know that enough alcohol on it's own does, & i know that alot ov people have reported 'sleep walking' type effects from Stilnox itself; but from what i've heard the effect ov Stilnox when you manage to stay awake isn't quite like that.

then again it's not quite

a similar effect to cocaine and other party drugs
either.

Stilnox, ... has a similar effect to cocaine and other party drugs when it is combined with alcohol or energy drinks such as Red Bull.

Woooooo! cheap coke here I come

fuck the forums, the media is where its at for info on wild new party drugs :lol:

there's no way it would be comparable to cocaine... as this forum has shown in its stilnox thread, many here have used stilnox and woken up to find the packet empty and random shit all over the house.

its not a good combo.

Edited by C_T

as this forum has shown in its stilnox thread, many here have used stilnox and woken up to find the packet empty and random shit all over the house.

:blush:

there's no way it would be comparable to cocaine... as this forum has shown in its stilnox thread, many here have used stilnox and woken up to find the packet empty and random shit all over the house.

its not a good combo.

:blush::blink: