The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Anti-smoking drugs linked to mental illness

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07...?section=justin

Regulators are considering stronger warnings about popular anti-smoking drugs, with statistics revealing 400 psychiatric disturbances linked to the drug Zyban in recent years.

A Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) spokeswoman says the agency plans to update information given to consumers about Zyban and another drug, Champix.

Last week, US authorities last week ordered the manufacturers to place warnings inside the packets.

But public health expert professor Simon Chapman has told 702 ABC Sydney that smokers are more likely to have mental health problems to begin with.

"It may be that smoking's something that people with mental health problems ... do more than people who don't smoke," he said.

"So that population group is going to have a background of incidents of mental health problems and it could be that some of these reports are reports about mental health episodes that may have happened anyway."

There is currently no warning for Champix on the TGA website.

a few long fat spliffs oughta cure what ails them :P no baccy of course

champix truly is the devil's drug.

i really think someone should do neuroimaging looking at the association between a4b2 nicotinic receptor function and aggression/homocide.

Might pass that on to some of the researchers in the lab faustus :)

i really think someone should do neuroimaging looking at the association between a4b2 nicotinic receptor function and aggression/homocide.

I am pretty sure you are not singling out gays, so I presume this should be homicide. Just checking :wink:

I've seen some people fuck up pretty bad on zyban. In fact, I don't know anyone who has taken it with success, but know about a dozen people who got screwed up by it. One of them long term.

Zyban = robot-zombie juice.

Alan Carr ftw!

I likes zyban. Is good for night shift and boners

Champix = unstable sociopath in a bottle (well actually a card)

Odd considering they actually prescribe bupropion (Zyban, Wellbutrin) FOR mental illness i.e. depression. It's the only dopaminergic anti-depressive currently available in the US, they haven't allowed it's use for that here though.