The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Winter time cactus shots.

Id say that crest is some form of mamm, hard to be sure as there are lots of lil crested varieties out there. It looks nothing like the T grandiflorus, T schickendantzii or E oxygona crests i have. Be good to see some different shots of it tho please mate.

there is no currently available spachianus crest in oz

I thought this plant being so common there would be a few getting around Australia

What do the spines feel like ?

Some of my slower growing Mammillaria have soft thin flexible or hook like spines that tend to stick into your skin & clothing , others you can handle easily without the spines sticking into your skin at all (unlike handling spachianus :o if you know what i mean)

Almost all mamm spines i own seem much whiter than any of the spach especially new growth

wouldnt these traits be the same with crested plants?

Edited by mac

I thought this plant being so common there would be a few getting around Australia

What do the spines feel like ?

Some of my slower growing Mammillaria have soft thin flexible or hook like spines that tend to stick into your skin & clothing , others you can handle easily without the spines sticking into your skin at all (unlike handling spachianus :o if you know what i mean)

Almost all mamm spines i own seem much whiter than any of the spach especially new growth

wouldnt these traits be the same with crested plants?

Mammillaria is a really large genus. I don't think these traits of the spines are constant through the whole group which make its harder to tell with this. I've seen mamms with red, white, brown and black spines. Some with barbs, some with big hooks and some not at all. Either way the crested plant should have similar traits to the normal version.

Then again, who knows with mostrose plants.

Edited by KanJe

I have one of those crests too over here in NZ

_MG_9174.jpg

I've had it ID's before but not written it down... I'll see if I can track the ID down

*edit

T. huasca

Edited by bit

Hunab, your crest could very well be a Cleistocactus.

Thanks guys, I'm crook as a dog at the mo...it does look like bit's shot there but I'm not an expert, I'll take ya word for it pass...I'll post more shots when the growing season comes along...looking to get more crested forms they look really nice.

H.

Thanks guys, I'm crook as a dog at the mo...

^^ Meeee Too, I feel for ya mate :wacko:

You have an amazing collection Hanoob (lol my new nickname for you). Do you get any weird growth during the winter?

cheers