The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
simulacrum

commercial king oyster farm in Korea

Don't know if anyone's posted this video before.. but it's an interesting insight into how p.eryngii are commercially grown in korea.

I've never heard of tofu being used in a substrate before.

thanks for that simulacrum, interesting to see how its done in korea. :)

thanks for that simulacrum, interesting to see how its done in korea. :)

cheers I'm a mycology noob. I've been trying to grow brf cakes off spores collected from market king oysters. Limited success so far. I've got what looks like tight white mycelium covering most of the jar but can also see patches of fluffy green mould :(

I think I'm having trouble collecting a contaminant free spore print. I think I'm going to have to give up the brf cake idea and try cloning on agar, transferring to grain spawn then to whatever the cheapest bulk substrate i can find.

If anyone has valuable insights on how to grow these babies, or cheap places to pick up agar or bulk substrate (sawdust, straw etc) I'd love to hear them :)

I think I'm having trouble collecting a contaminant free spore print. I think I'm going to have to give up the brf cake idea

Or you could do what pretty much everyone else on this forum does and ask watertrade really really nicely with a cherry on top for a made up eryngii plate! :wink::wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

(edited for extra wubs)

Edited by apothecary

Or you could do what pretty much everyone else on this forum does and ask watertrade really really nicely with a cherry on top for a made up eryngii plate! :wink::wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

(edited for extra wubs)

heheh good to know who the goto person is.. but really I think that would be asking a bit much given I've just joined and have nothing to offer in return. It'll be good for me to learn myself anyway.. fungi are such fascinating organisms

using a syringe in a sterile environment, have ur LC ready to innoculate and have ur store bought king oyster/watever at the ready. Snap as to expose a fresh, clean and sterile area. Using ur syringe loaded with a bit of sterilized water ~1-2ml and a 16-18G needle. push into the sterile inside flesh of the store bought shroom, rotate 360 and pull out. Now u have a very sterile core sample of the store bought shroom. Simply squirt it into the lc along with the few ml's of water behind it to innoculate and have ur own few hundred ml's of lc ready in just a few days.

Or atleast thats how I'd go about it.

:P

using a syringe in a sterile environment, have ur LC ready to innoculate and have ur store bought king oyster/watever at the ready. Snap as to expose a fresh, clean and sterile area. Using ur syringe loaded with a bit of sterilized water ~1-2ml and a 16-18G needle. push into the sterile inside flesh of the store bought shroom, rotate 360 and pull out. Now u have a very sterile core sample of the store bought shroom. Simply squirt it into the lc along with the few ml's of water behind it to innoculate and have ur own few hundred ml's of lc ready in just a few days.

Or atleast thats how I'd go about it.

sweet... that's quite ingenious, I hadn't even considered liquid cultures. What kind of medium do you use.. i've read talk of this mysterious Karo stuff around but haven't spotted any at the supermarket

honey

1tspoon to 250ml's h2o, pc for 15min

heheh good to know who the goto person is.. but really I think that would be asking a bit much given I've just joined and have nothing to offer in return. It'll be good for me to learn myself anyway.. fungi are such fascinating organisms

I would be happy to send you one if you like simulacrum? I will be doing another set of plates on monday night. :)

naja's advice also sounds good - never thought of using the needle like a tiny biopsy punch. :)

I would be happy to send you one if you like simulacrum? I will be doing another set of plates on monday night. :)

naja's advice also sounds good - never thought of using the needle like a tiny biopsy punch. :)

Easiest way to clone a shroom IMO, also easiest way to get an isolate from a multispore IMO.

Peace

P.S. Hyphal let me in on the core sample trick, not my idea

Thank you very much for the generous offer watertrade! I think I'll try the LC tek naja suggested first see if I can learn something.. though I think if I experience failure again I think I'll be PMing you to take you up on the offer..

Here's another video I found, uploaded by the company that manufactures the systems for automation of this technique.. seems odd I must say.. surely some sort of tray growing would be a bit more efficient than growing in bottles.