The Corroboree
planthelper

new mod position?

See, that's the problem with recent arrivals ;)

The chill space has been an incredibly difficult place at times. It ahs been so bad that it almost caused me to close this place down THREE times in the last 10 years. Yes, 99% of members here are easy to get along with and are here to support this place. But every now and then you get a member who causes problems. Lots of problems. Some do it for social engineering reasons, others because they are hot heads. But because i try to be fair and give everyone an opportunity to express themselves, this place sometimes turns into a total circus. We've had mods quit over such episodes, members leave in droves, and even alternate forums spring up as a result of often childish and irrational dramas. You haven't seen any of that hunab. The most you have seen is the minor nuisance that teotz has made of himself, but again you haven't seen the over hundred PMs that have directly resulted from that in the background.

I've grown a pretty thick skin over the years and still the chill space sometimes really gets to me. When things really heat up in there mods tend to not stick around. Many wiser older members also politely decline any offer of modding the chill space cos they have seen just how far things can go. I can't blame them.

You're right that some people play right on the line, but it is still in. I don't enjoy people doing that, but I respect their difference. I have gotten a lot tougher on people who are here to only play on the line and not contribute in any other way. They tend to get booted quickly and I really don't care if people have free speech issues about that as this is a private place, not a public place, and the main purpose is for ethnobotany related topics. The chill space should be a social forum for plantheads, so I have no problem kicking out non-plantheads if they just stir shit.

yeah agree predominately it's a plant forum and there are and always be shit stirrers that don't input to the plant sections...I don't quiet understand why one would want to join if they have no interest in Botany...but seems they just want to act like jackass's for the sake of a laugh...that coupled with the flow of new members who well lets admit it can take a while to get a feel of them and work out if they are dirty, really into it or trolls.

I'm amazed to hear it got so bad you considered closing the site....geeze peoples words on a virtual forum are not going to leap out and smack you physically...that must have been some bad shit go down for you to react that badly....and Teo well he is genuinely interested in plants you can tell....sure he makes a lot of inane posts but he very rarely insults anyone...he's like a Mormon you can throw all sorts of shit at him and he just comes back with some passive one line statement...I actually struggle to understand what he has done on other forums to get banned so much...he seems to have an extremely short term memory and that shows up in his posts but as far as I can ever tell since I've been here he/she is a planthead first and a mild annoyance second.

seeing as how I haven't been around long enough...there is a member here who hasn't posted for ages but is usually around and is very knowledgeable plant wise...Undergrounder...not sure of his chill space skills but he certainly is a respected and knowledgeable member here I'm sure.

Teo you will have to wait till I'm here a few more years before I can bitchslap you around the board.... :P

H.

Teo you will have to wait till I'm here a few more years before I can bitchslap you around the board....

:angry:

I will always have been here longer than you, don't forget that.

Edited by Teotz'

Teo you will have to wait till I'm here a few more years before I can bitchslap you around the board.... :P

H.

:(

I'm amazed to hear it got so bad you considered closing the site....geeze peoples words on a virtual forum are not going to leap out and smack you physically...that must have been some bad shit go down for you to react that badly....and Teo well he is genuinely interested in plants you can tell....sure he makes a lot of inane posts but he very rarely insults anyone...he's like a Mormon you can throw all sorts of shit at him and he just comes back with some passive one line statement...I actually struggle to understand what he has done on other forums to get banned so much...he seems to have an extremely short term memory and that shows up in his posts but as far as I can ever tell since I've been here he/she is a planthead first and a mild annoyance second.

Oh I didn't see that part.

he seems to have an extremely short term memory and that shows up in his posts but as far as I can ever tell since I've been here he/she is a planthead first and a mild annoyance second.

Ya lots of people have noticed this. Guys I smoke shit-tons of Cannabis all day long and I know my posting reflects it! Sorry!

hey Teo don't get upset man I'm just playing with ya... :wub:

I'm amazed to hear it got so bad you considered closing the site

Mate I was doing 4-6 hours work a night scouring posts in tandem with another Chill mod. T did it even harder. You won't find much about this time because it was either lost in forum crashes or so successfully modded it was seamles

Apoth, thanks for the kind words, you did an awesome job and were much nicer about it than I could ever have been- and copped a lot of undeserved flack for it

Incog you old rogue you're a darling but I'm not well enough to come back just yet for more that brief times. Hope things are going fine for you

It's worth remembering- and I've said it before- that temporarily banning ppl isn't necessarily a bad thing- some of our earlier members copped bans and have gone on to become absolute gems of the community and valuable long term contributors. The ppl who shut up and acceped their loss of posting privileges for a week or a month and came back to do something real and played nicely were fine. Far as I'm concerned it's the bitchers and whiners who were the real nuisance, took up days of wasted time only to come back and do it again. If you wouldn't put up with it at a party I don't see any point in letting it slide in a forum with thousands of viewers

Chill was fun to mod, but it was also hard work. I'd take it on, but not just yet, and hopefully there is someone out there who can take it off T if needed. Can't think of anyone offhand- one of the Eds maybe- but I'm not here often enough to assess it too well

As the main "disruptive influence" here I'd just like to remind you all that thunderideal remained more composed than most in my "social engineering" exercise and was one of the few who didn't resort to petty insults, you should write off names like faustus IMO when looking for mod material.. I haven't asked Thunderideal if he wants to be a mod or anything, I just thought I'd add my 2c.

Sina would make a good mod too I reckon but he already was if I remember rightly?

I'm amazed to hear it got so bad you considered closing the site

So am I :o If I had've known that people were taking my shit stirring so seriously I wouldn't have pushed things quite far.. I'll try to go easy from now on. :blush:

baph, don't flatter yourself. your shit stirring is nothing compared to what we've had here before :P

however, my tolerance is also much lower these days. maybe that's why it's been fairly quiet for a while.

Vote - 1 Baphomet for moderator!! (that would keep things interesting)
So am I If I had've known that people were taking my shit stirring so seriously I wouldn't have pushed things quite far.. I'll try to go easy from now on.

if ever a thread on narcisism is introduced im sure you will be number one choice Baph.

Sina would make a good mod too I reckon but he already was if I remember rightly?

This forum is so great when I don't have the responsibility to read your crap :)

I'll go back to modding the chill space if you promise to stop posting in there and start contributing to the forum.

Honestly, if you think it's an honour to mod the chill space you must be thinking of one of the other subforums where members are well behaved and largely on topic (read: self moderating). Imo the chill space sets the tone for the whole forum, as shit-fights bleed onto other threads. If you think its fun mediating/managing peoples complaints and perceptions then copping even more abuse for your decisions without support from the complaining parties or old members who (again imo) should be assisting in setting the tone of the forum (rather than vanishing or just staying silent then talking about it to you in person), then you probably need your head checked.

There has even been an aspect of physical danger to the job, once.

We've had mods quit over such episodes

I seem to recall the way it went, I tried to quit but stayed on because for 6 months you couldn't find anyone to replace and in the end you took the job back on yourself. Hunab if you want an idea of how bad things were, for six months nobody here wanted to mod the chill.

I am honestly glad to be back to a normal member, and enjoy the one privilege everyone expects the mods to somehow exercise even though they are the only one who can't do it: if you don't like it, don't read it.

Edited by apothecary

get in there hunab and grab the position....1 vote from me

I agree I vote for Hunab too he has always been very helpful and knowledgable.

Thanks Hunab

As the main "disruptive influence" here I'd just like to remind you all that thunderideal remained more composed than most in my "social engineering" exercise and was one of the few who didn't resort to petty insults

are you sure? i even wrote "troll" on your profile (only you have the power to delete it, and i hope you do. i regret putting it there but it seemed accurate at the time).

shit T we both posted at the same time!!!

im glad someone else noted the self flattery.

kinda gross.

edit-

There has even been an aspect of physical danger to the job, once

what happened? im guessing threats where made?

im really hoping Darklight comes back to moderate!!

we need more vocal female members to balance out the testosterone.

(that and i want to see her absolutely shred Baphomet)

Edited by incognito

if ever a thread on narcisism is introduced im sure you will be number one choice Baph.

Narcissus aint got nuttin on me B)

are you sure? i even wrote "troll" on your profile

He he.. yea, it's still there :lol: Compare "troll" to "motherfucker", "cunt", etc and it kinda pales into insignificance. I reckon of all the people who have engaged with me in any form of discussion you have held it together pretty well, definitely mod material IMO, for whatever that's worth..

hmm....

i want to start a talk if we want to make hunab a mod to take any forum of a mod who migh want to hand over (maybe chill to take load of tort?).

anyway, i think he does a lot of good work here!! B)

oh boy, was that a bad call in retrospect. [note hunab is now chiral]

I just want to take this opportunity to reiterate that the mod position has nothing to do with trading trust. It is about my evaluation of that member for the suitability to lead and maintain a subforum. While honesty would be one trait I try and look for, it is often difficult to judge this especially if there is escalating drug use involved. Chiral was made mod in the news forum because after being pushed into promoting him I felt this is the only forum where a loose cannon like him can't do any damage. I liked chiral, but not as a mod. I am sorry if anyone trusted him more than they should have on the basis of his mod status.

I just want to take this opportunity to reiterate that the mod position has nothing to do with trading trust. It is about my evaluation of that member for the suitability to lead and maintain a subforum. While honesty would be one trait I try and look for, it is often difficult to judge this especially if there is escalating drug use involved. Chiral was made mod in the news forum because after being pushed into promoting him I felt this is the only forum where a loose cannon like him can't do any damage. I liked chiral, but not as a mod. I am sorry if anyone trusted him more than they should have on the basis of his mod status.

Nope, I trusted him going from previous acts of goodwill pertaining to Cuntface Troutfuck and otherwise.

But yes I think a new mod would be in order. Off the top of my head I can think of ThunderIdeal being a suitable candidate; he's no bullshit and not a shitstirrer, nor does he seem to come into arguments with a closed mind.

• Like 1

i agree.

i was very supportive of chiral, because at that time he did an awefull lot for this forum...

edit, after reading the other thread:

if we need another mod, i would suggest, incog, ThunderIdeal, or fancypants,

i think we are looking for a long term, being the same person, person.

Edited by planthelper

Nope, I trusted him going from previous acts of goodwill pertaining to Cuntface Troutfuck and otherwise.

even tho i lost nothing from the chiral affair, i feel ripped off...honestly i really felt like he was a nice person, im glad it happened because being this is pretty much my first & home forum. i suppose its a good lesson in human nature whatever that may be from this minor experience and i certainly wont be so trusting in the future which is hard for me to say.

i kinda feel like chiral is watching all this too, ready to make his suprise comeback but seems like that ship has sailed...and wouldnt be welcome back into port by the authorities.

maybe its a lesson for those who constantly shift identities, i really liked hunab ku, i was in the middle with chiral and i disliked drugged out liar. possibly the lesson is without being to moralistic is that you should be who you are, who people identify with, your character is your character and the same goes with avatars.....chopping and changing all the time is probably a sign i weakness and character flaw which in long term can only serve to harm an in actual fact reduce your importance and identity.

in regards to potential mods i disagree with the immediate suggestions above and being a WA boy i feel we are understated in regards to national size by just having naja naja, i might be wrong there but i cant think of any more off hand........mayby occidentalis or gilligan?? im just trying to think outside the box........i also think rahli makes a good impression, perhaps we should be looking to new zealand soon....i suppose i see it as geography as opposed to ''it's not what you know, its who you know kind of mentality''.

so many top people here really, i'm sure choosing would be easy. although this is an old thread and T hasn't said anything about any new mods.

it feels good to know some online strangers think i'm a decent person :)