The Corroboree
Mycot

WA Gyms, tis the season

to the best of my knowledge, the west australian gymnopilus that grows on paperbark in wetland areas to be absent of alkaloids.

• Like 1

to the best of my knowledge, the west australian gymnopilus that grows on paperbark in wetland areas to be absent of alkaloids.

:slap:

• Like 1

I live in the southern suburbs of Perth near plenty of bush and wetlands. I have been doing my research on active gym species being found around Perth's southern suburbs and I am definitely very interested in finding some and learning a bit more about them. I was thinking that the Bickley wetlands may be a good place to start. anyone had any finds from this area? anybody interested on coming on a hunt?

Likemyc You'll find them just about everywhere, remember to leave at least 3-5 in each patch so they can regenerate.

Just about every wet bush area will have them. just wait and go for lots of walks. also; be careful, lots of people have been making mistakes and getting very sick/dying as a result.

Likemyc You'll find them just about everywhere, remember to leave at least 3-5 in each patch so they can regenerate.

Just about every wet bush area will have them. just wait and go for lots of walks. also; be careful, lots of people have been making mistakes and getting very sick/dying as a result.

It really doesnt matter about leaving a few as the myc will go deep into the rotten log which survives the summer.

also you say lots of people have been sick/dying from mistaken ID's??? In WA??? looking for Gym's???? Where did you here this?

i find it very hard to believe

im chasing this article>>

Bougher NL (2011). Fungi of Perth's Banksia woodlands.

BT, its in here

Perth's Banksia Woodlands: Precious and Under Threat.

which can be found here for $10

but may be in some libraries also.

Edited by LokStok

It really doesnt matter about leaving a few as the myc will go deep into the rotten log which survives the summer.

also you say lots of people have been sick/dying from mistaken ID's??? In WA??? looking for Gym's???? Where did you here this?

i find it very hard to believe

Not from looking for gyms, just ingesting wild mushrooms they believe are either edible or active.

It's been in the news a lot recently. The uneducated dope-fiend will look for 'marshiezzz' and just eat whatever they find.

On another note, here's some photos from my last walk. I'm aware the yellow ones aren't gyms they just look beautiful. If you happen to know what the yellow fungus is, would you mind enlightening me?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2e38o6x.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/5yus91.jpg

woah those yellow ones are purtty.

checked my usual exploration spot last week, must've been 50 gym. purp. sitting there.

unfortunately this was the night after the first storm, so most were barely IDable. ):

• Like 1

there's always that ozone spot with more than 20 just huddled together.

I might've gone wandering a bit too soon, most purps i found weren't fully matured and there's lots of fresh debris from the storm.

I've found they seem to be quite content around salt flats, on dead paperbarks. as to the soil content not sure about alkaloid presence i can't say I've tested it. I really wanna extract the colour from this particular fungus and dye my clothes with it I LOVE the maroonish-purple, i think it'd make a great colour for a pair of pants

With the purp interest goin through the roof and I think BT commenting on their possible low flush rate,I think we mite start thinking about (as some are),tryin to print anything of real interest(from the wild) and leaving as much as poss in the wild.....as their active properties are up for debate...,I've never seen them in large amounts,how shitty will it be if even from minimal collection we see them disappear from known areas,BT ,Sidways,Myco....what's peeps knowledge on patch densities ,individual mushroom lifespan and flush frequency????ive only seen low patch densities and not had the chance to observe the othere two....

in reply to Nut's comments and questions, based on my observations from a walk taken yesterday (and in seasons past), the G.purps seem to have a much lower occurrence than the G. allantopus. (and here i am mindful of an earlier comment in this thread from Occidentalis about the still tricky realm of identifying the Gyms to species level, so, i guess i'm referring to what i think are G.allantopus and what i think are G.purp - though, i have sent a couple of PMs to members on this thread who have confirmed the activity of those on the thread that we are agreeing on referring to as G.purp).

i reckon i'd be finding one or two G.purp for every fifty G.allantopus i find...

it's also the case that once these mushrooms get quite mature i'm not sure whether i'm lookin at allontopus or purpuratus - so i guess it's best to find them when they look like little purple phallic nipples! I'm curious that members are reporting a distinct bluing reaction on the purps (some reporting bluing on every specimen they find) as this is not something i have seen a lot of. i reckon i've seen the odd bit of blue/green coloured spot on the cap, and will endeavour to upload photo here of one that has a slight blue at the base (but you have to look hard)...

with regard to flush frequency, i have found purps on the same log in consecutive seasons, but not more than a handful on this particular log... and not sure whether the same log has had a second or third flush each season...

Edited by wassonova
  • Like 1

Is Donnybrook a small town where there's no real crime to bust?

People seeing rainbows an thinking about the universe hardly requires an active pursuit of punishment.

does it? :scratchhead:

Just a heads up loads of pins in my area already

Get out there :)

Just a heads up loads of pins in my area already

Get out there :)

Yeah I was in your area last week. It's very green there for this time of year.

Über season coming up :0 :P

Yeh it's been pretty wet for a few weeks now

things are lookin good for this season :)

• Like 1

A number of really interesting developments in gym research has been happening over at the shroomery of late.
Mostly to be found in the gymnopilus forum there are a number of developments in the field of gymnopilus phylogenetics with re-evaluations of species considered active.
Some topics covered ;-
A phylogenetic look at the active gymnopilus clades.
G.liquiritiae considered inactive.
Additional aussie gym species considered active.
G.sapineus appearing to be active.

Cutting edge material. :shroomer:

• Like 2

Very pretty mushrooms! awesome shots

Hey guys, I took my dog for a walk today and kept my eyes peeled whilst doing so and stumbled across these little beauties but wasnt so sure if it was gym.a or gym.p...... what do u guys think? I did notice some blueing on the cap which I have tried to show in my photos that are unfortunatley taken on my I phone. these were found around lakes to the the south of Perth. I did notices the one specimen I decided to keep was well eaten by something but I'd be really happy if i was on the right track as this is my first ever find!!!

post-11540-0-15997100-1367652448_thumb.j

post-11540-0-54973500-1367652511_thumb.j

post-11540-0-15997100-1367652448_thumb.jpg

post-11540-0-54973500-1367652511_thumb.jpg

post-11540-0-15997100-1367652448_thumb.jpg

post-11540-0-54973500-1367652511_thumb.jpg

• Like 3