The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Bob Brown Bankrupt

Stolen from ozpants:

Brown claims seat at risk over legal bill

The Australian Greens leader Bob Brown says he's in danger of being expelled from the Senate because of possible bankruptcy proceedings.

Senator Brown has three weeks to raise $240,000 to re-imburse Forestry Tasmania for legal fees it incurred during a court case over logging in the Wielangta Forest in the state's south-east.

Forestry Tasmania says the Greens leader has had ample time to settle the matter.

Senator Brown is asking his supporters to seek public donations to help cover the debt.

"I simply don't have $240,000 and have put a huge amount of money already into this court case and to defending the Gunns 20 court case," Senator Brown said.

"Last time I looked at my bank balance it was much less than $10,000," he said.

Every cent counts. Even if you can only donate $5 you will be doing the world a great favour imo. Make a donation by cheque made out to: Senator Bob Brown PO Box 404 Hobart 7001, direct debit to: Senator Bob Brown BSB 633 000 A/C 125 133 793 - Please make sure you include your details so we know who has given money. The http://www.on-trial.info site has a donation link but the money can take a couple of weeks to come through. thanks again for the support

Seriously. Bob Brown doesn't deserve this!

Politicians wanting money, that's new ;/

"Last time I looked at my bank balance it was much less than $10,000," he said.

Last time i checked i had exactly 22 cents, send me some money.

The greens can only be as green as the population lets them.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

Err right, but did you spend even 1 of those 22 cents battling against Forestry Tasmania to stop logging of endangered habitat?

You're right, the greens can only be as green as the population lets them. Clearly you have no problem being part of that population based impediment.

Err right, but did you spend even 1 of those 22 cents battling against Forestry Tasmania to stop logging of endangered habitat?

You're right, the greens can only be as green as the population lets them. Clearly you have no problem being part of that population based impediment.

I think this is sickening considering logging and the whole forestry industry should have been made obsolete let us pray that the Gods of Chaos wreak all kinds of havoc Forestry Tasmania and send them down the path of bankruptcy

Bob Brown is one of the few politicians that I can admire and respect I think it would be terrible for all Australians if he was to loose his senate seat I would suggest the idea of creating a public campiagn to raise money for Bob however I could simply not justify handing a cent to the brain dead fuckwits with thir morals shoved fair up their arse that are forestry tasmania,

may i suggest though a campaign of not using brakes for Tasmanian residents if they are lucky enough to see members of Foestry Tasmania Board or Legal Department crossing the road n maybe a sustained campaign of puncturing truck tyres of their trucks after all if they can't move their product they can't sell it , they don't sell it they have no money lets fuck over this obsolete industry and rid ourselves of it once and for all

Edited by neoshaman

it would be tragic if bob brown lost his seat because of this. i'm gonna wait this out, in a couple of weeks i might be able to throw a pittance his way but hopefully he's sorted by then.

I'll sting him a tenner.. better off bailing the bro out than spending it on a cafe lunch.

thanks for those details - I was wondering how to get some money to him.

Brown sounds like he is fighting a money battle he could never seriously win....the backers of the other side prolly have unlimited funds it would seem...The federal gov't should be stepping in here and doing the right thing and use the fucking money taxpayers donate weekly via their pay to create sustainable forests and look after our environment.

H.

thats what they reckon they are doing.

sad isn't it

from near my country: http://www.colongwilderness.org.au/RedIndex/NSW/clgubr99.htm

wilderness in NSW! omg! when will they learn man... this shit is carried out daily here, trucks thundering past with old growth trees on them.. to be turned into woodchips and shipped to Japan to be turned into paper.

Edited by meanies

So neoshaman you won't help out because you think the money is going to Forestry Tasmania?

I should disclose I haven't donated any money yet, but only because I saw another article later in the day from Dick Smith saying he would pay it if nobody else would.

Bank details/etc can be confirmed on the Greens website.

Edited by apothecary

Sorry apoth,

But you sound like a christian or Muslim preacher telling people their unbelievers and should be ashamed of themselves.

i think you missed my point,(actually i dont think i had one) but im just being realistic, iv heard about the mill and dont like it any more then you do, and im not saying people shouldn't support this guy, even though i dont know much about him apart from snips and snaps in the news because im in victoria.

Anyway, i guess my point is i am basically living on the poverty line or close to it at the moment it since i lost my job, if i could help i would, but i cant.

Now when i say the greens can only be as green as the population lets them, there are alot of well off people that can help him, or at least hopefully believe in what hes doing enough to help him, i am not one of them atm, im not asking for money from the gov, im just saying i dont have it atm..

I dont want this to sound like a hostile post, its not. just explaining after what seemed like a rude post due to a misunderstanding.

Love your posts,

Peace

Sorry, I thought you said: "I only have 22 cents, send me money"....o wait, that's exactly what you said. Was very rude of me for failing to infer that you had lost your job and would help if you could from your 3 line post.

All I pointed out in reply to this was that even if both of you are "broke", one got there spending money they didn't have to try and fight a legal battle nobody else was willing to, since you seemed to want to somehow lump this together with the negative implications of "politicians asking for money". Never "preached" that you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why do I even bother.

Edited by apothecary

I will donate a substantial amount despite knowing about dick smith pitching in, simply becaue dick smith is like the last resort for people in such situations and I feel someone like Bob Brown has enough media coverage to get the funds together without drawing on dick's help.

Bob Brown is fighting a fight I would like to but am too scared to. The least I can do is support him financially.

What bothers me more than the fact that people are hesitant to donate to him is the fact that most don't even know what he has done, why he is in this situation and why it is so important to make sure he continues these struggles. This has nothing to do with just being a tassie issue. He has done the same things in victoria.

Given how smart, educated, and media friendly Bob Brown is one would expect a professional person like him to have a net worth of at least 1-4 million at his age and his profession. The foresaking of such wealth for the benefit of the community is often overlooked and we should really give him credit for that.

Stealin from ozpants 'gain:

Bob Brown pays $240,000 to Forestry Tasmania

June 11, 2009 08:32am

A FLOOD of public donations will enable Greens leader Bob Brown to pay off a big legal debt that threatened to cost him his Senate seat.

Senator Brown owes Forestry Tasmania $240,000 after a failed legal bid to stop logging in the Wielangta forest in Tasmania's southeast.

If he failed to pay the bill by the end of the month and was declared bankrupt, he would have been disqualified from the Upper House.

Senator Brown said he had been overwhelmed by the response to his public appeal for help earlier this week and will now be able to get back into the black.

He said over 1000 people had made donations to his cause, mostly small amounts between $10 and $100.

However, there was one $10,000 donation he knew about and he also sold one of his artworks for $20,000 to help fund the legal battle.

"It really just shows how strongly people are concerned about the forests and the wildlife in them," Senator Brown said.

"A lot of them are saying they're not Green voters but they didn't like the way that Forestry Tasmania were threatening my seat in the Senate."

Senator Brown said he called entrepreneur Dick Smith, who had offered to help him out of his financial woes, to give him the good news.

"I left a message with Dick ... to say that it looks like it will be all right," he said.

"He was offering back-up but it looks like we won't need to call on that."

Senator Brown said he hadn't raised more money than was required to pay Forestry Tasmania but if he did, it would flow on to funding other environmental battles.

He thanked all those who donated for their support.

"I'm just terribly grateful," he said.

Edited by paradox

I get all my news in this regard from oztrance and also the abc "environment" news-tag, but generally some of the posters on ot tend to beat 'the media' in providing news on this stuff.

cool, haven't been to oz trance for a while. i'm not really that up on the psytrance scene these days. i know theres some pretty sharp kids lurking at OT though.

i'm so keen for a tassie trip. problem is, half my mates from tassie have come to the mainland for winter so it'll be pretty quiet down there just now.

still, i haven't seen winter in tassie yet. should be a whole 'nuther experience. damn i love that place :)

So neoshaman you won't help out because you think the money is going to Forestry Tasmania?

I should disclose I haven't donated any money yet, but only because I saw another article later in the day from Dick Smith saying he would pay it if nobody else would.

Bank details/etc can be confirmed on the Greens website.

I would as a last resort although i hate the idea of any money going to a corrupt underhanded organisation like foestry Tasmania I would certainly have to undertake some3 vandalism on Forestry Tasmania infastruture afterwards to get rid of the dirty feeling LMAO