The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dood

sub bonanza!

Wow awesome patches there! :)

Wow!, nice find! Damn, I really want to get the pictures on my phone up somehow to see if what I had were subs....I was up in the mountains a month ago with what I could have sworn were subs, I don't think I waited long enough for them to go blue, so I left them. How long did it take yours to change colour?

Depending on their age they blue at different rates. Young pins blue vigorously whilst older(caps out) took 15mins or so approx.

so so so jealous

Medlow Bath, Lawson, Blue mountains Hospital...Katoomba. There out there dude, sometimes I walk past them without noticing them only to find them whilst back tracking. I found some recently around birch and Eucalypts, not to mention Lavender.

Parks, schools, think Amenities they like heavily mulched beds. Theres more mulch around domestic areas than in the wild, they are more prolific around us.

Sweet Baby Jeebus...nice find...look after that patch..ie pinch or cut those babies, and dont damage the myc

Good advice, Ive been doing that for most of them.

lol - I'm just imagining a whole bunch of people wandering around the b/mountains hospital grounds now staring at the ground, with the hospital staff thinking, what the fuck is going on out there? Did somebody loose a ring or something?

I'm sure many people will appreciate you telling them where you found the patch, but for you, in the long run, maybe wasn't the best idea...now you will be fighting for it!!

I was up at mount vic. at the beginning of the amanita season, there might be some there.

lol - I'm just imagining a whole bunch of people wandering around the b/mountains now staring at the ground, with the hospital staff thinking, what the fuck is going on out there? Did somebody loose a ring or something

:lol: good excuse, take a metal detector with ya :wink:

anyone else reading this - is it time for a pinned sub id thread or what?!

Im hearing ya

:scratchhead: for sure i have noticed some non bluing look alikes growing in grass in the local park there are scattered wood chips & old tree roots / garden beds here & there so it would be great to see a pinned id thread

Edited by mac

Hey man I've been looking at pic number 1...there is something not right about those shrooms...they seem to be too low in ground...subs stand quite high...there is a look a like to a sub that is almost identical from above but when you go to pick it it is very low to ground and has a soft stem..it does also have a faint blue ring around the cap this look a like...I'm definitely a bit suss on those ones in the first pic the more I look because today I saw literally thousands of the same shroom up in the mountains and they definitely where not subs but they really do look like them from above... :huh:

H.

Hey man I've been looking at pic number 1...there is something not right about those shrooms...they seem to be too low in ground...subs stand quite high...there is a look a like to a sub that is almost identical from above but when you go to pick it it is very low to ground and has a soft stem..it does also have a faint blue ring around the cap this look a like...I'm definitely a bit suss on those ones in the first pic the more I look because today I saw literally thousands of the same shroom up in the mountains and they definitely where not subs but they really do look like them from above... :huh:

H.

What about the Blueing...? I bruised everyone to be sure...

What about the Blueing...? I bruised everyone to be sure...

The thing is also, In my book and online pics dont look like what I saw but, they blue like cubes Ive picked years ago. Before I decided to hunt I checked around on the shroomery and Mycotopia and discovered the only other blueing fungi was a non-active Bolete or whatever theyre called, so If thats all they are Im fine. Ive chucked away ones that turned the least blue. Specimens from first hunt had fruited in excessively wet conditions and were close to being overcome by the weather, these ones took longer to blue. Second finds were noted as fresh, pigments in cap and whiteness of stem suggested this, also they blued savagely. On the second day I back tracked and saw ones Id ripped up and had chucked on the ground in disgust mistaking them for lookalikes,"theyd all turned blue" I just didnt wait long enough for them to change. It seems older specimens are less viral than youngers ones.

I would guess also that there is an amount of diversity in morphology of these little guys and that maybe this accounts for the stoutness of some in the patch, or maybe they were busy fuiting when they were belted by to much rain which stunted theyre development. We can never be lax on this shit tho and if anyone ever has any doubts they should air them immediatly! You were right to mention it Hunab, please if you have further info that im un privy to please divulge at this point because Im ready to try em out :)

mmmmm nice...was wondering when we would see those shots...excellent work HM and some good shots showing how degrodaded they can look due to weathering.

yeah so many different varieties...some are black, some are brown, some are pale. they vary with age and what weather they've been exposed to. luckily you can always tell the minute you touch that stem though it always feels the same.

Nice shots man!!

There is also that psilo smell when the stem is cut which also helps with IDing.