The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dood

sub bonanza!

Gday all, thought Id chuck a few pic's up for your looking...The mountains were good to me today!

post-4510-1243923589_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243923641_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243923665_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243923695_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243923716_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243923773_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243924748_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243924778_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243924803_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243924839_thumb.jpg

post-4510-1243924860_thumb.jpg

Edited by dood

Telepathy here we come... B) ....nice finds...in fact those are some serious patches.

H.

wow! very nice finds indeed. that fourth pic is amazing, i havent seen subs growing in such abundance like that before haha

Id thought id just found another dissapointing gallerina fest, but low and behold a bunch of aborts that id stepped on were now turning blue! How sweet, my first Sub find(at least Im almost certain) Theyve all turned a blueish green after rough handling, although some more violently than others, these tend to be the younger or aborted ones. The larger specimens blue more around the base and caps. Spore print is purpley brown.

wow! very nice finds indeed. that fourth pic is amazing, i havent seen subs growing in such abundance like that before haha

Yeah, I must say. It took a while to sink in, I was on my way back down the hill when I decided to take the long way down a paddock to get some concellation samples of A.muscari, then I was like...WTF? So many, it couldnt be!!!

Telepathy here we come... B) ....nice finds...in fact those are some serious patches.

H.

Its made my month thats for sure! Im going to dry at 50degrees c in a fan forced with the door open, would you reccomend this people...?

No just dry on paper man in your warmest room it will only take 2 days maybe three...don't go toasting them in the oven...if you wanna dose them there is always fresh in some hot lemon tea.

H.

No just dry on paper man in your warmest room it will only take 2 days maybe three...don't go toasting them in the oven...if you wanna dose them there is always fresh in some hot lemon tea.

H.

Hunab, I know your an old hand so ill take your word, and thanks muchly by the way. The only thing Im freaking about it losing them to mold! Is it mandatory to have a fan?

Different topic from a novice, but anyways my Amaniti's from last mission went rotten kinda quick after a short dry in the oven then being returned to a paper bag to early. This batch of A.muscari will be done proper.

Seems like you have found mushroom mt. in the purple hills :P

:drool2: Great find mate!! :drool2:

very cool. you definitley found a top spot. i've never seen them grow in patches like that before...normally just one or two popping up in different places. you must be stoked!!! well done. now if you'll just pass on the gps co ordinates of where you found them... :shroomer:

very cool. you definitley found a top spot. i've never seen them grow in patches like that before...normally just one or two popping up in different places. you must be stoked!!! well done. now if you'll just pass on the gps co ordinates of where you found them... :shroomer:

Ha!One part of me wants to give it away, and the greedy part wants to keep it of course. Thanks for the kind words, Im way stoked!!!!

Im kinda wondering if it couldve been cultivated..? there was plenty of Mycelium there as well, as I dug up mulch to cover it with more food but it had eaten into the whole mulch bed. Its growing amoungst Lavender in a public park in the upper Blue mountains ;)

Yeah, def no oven bro.

Put them on top of your water heater if you have in indoor one... or near whatever you heat your house with at this time of year.. Or whatever, do the damprid method i.e. no heat just dessicant.

Really beautiful patches.

Congrats on such a great first sub find.

The only thing other thing I can say is watch them for little grubs, moving the whole lot around while they are drying seemed to help when I lived in Holland and used to collect them.

peace

edit: the only place I have ever seen subs growing to such a degree is in the blue mountains, so much so that they were literally lifting the ground up with them. A mates front garden was pretty much subs.... in K-town. Good ol' blue mountains hey :)

Edited by meanies

Yeah, def no oven bro.

Put them on top of your water heater if you have in indoor one... or near whatever you heat your house with at this time of year.. Or whatever, do the damprid method i.e. no heat just dessicant.

Really beautiful patches.

Congrats on such a great first sub find.

The only thing other thing I can say is watch them for little grubs, moving the whole lot around while they are drying seemed to help when I lived in Holland and used to collect them.

peace

edit: the only place I have ever seen subs growing to such a degree is in the blue mountains, so much so that they were literally lifting the ground up with them. A mates front garden was pretty much subs.... in K-town. Good ol' blue mountains hey :)

Blue mountains of joy! Im pretty certain theyre Sub's. Basic visual has the traits of Psilocybe and the spore print is purple/brown and they bruise blue/green. From what I know, there is no known shroom that has ill side effects(toxins) that has these markers...

They look like subs to me.

If you did happen to pick some while you where there - i.e. the picture with them sitting on paper.... did you try and peel back the cap from the edge... if the cap top comes off while you are peeling thats called a separable pellicle (correct me if I'm wrong here people) a separable pellicle is an indicator that you have found a psilocybe sub for macroscopic purposes... further, partial veil remnants on the stem are also a giveaway for subs, as is the blueing... nipple of cap etc etc etc.

anyone else reading this - is it time for a pinned sub id thread or what?!

i was under the assumption that galerina's were more likely to have veil remnants/annulus than subs?

Edited by mardybum

i was under the assumption that galerina's were more likely to have veil remnants than subs?

I have taken prints...

When I pulled up a group from the earth/substrate the primordia or, aborts were blue, then when I roughed them up the stems moments later became blueish, with a tinge of green. Young or small specimens bruised violently like a lollie or something. All prints are purpley brown.Partial veils were present on youngens

Thanks Yall.

Edited by dood

Yeah don't sweat on em going mouldy they won't...just spread em out on paper and toss em about every day till they are crispy..it don't take long trust me ...don't be impatient...once they are dry place them in a zip lock bag with a desiccant sack and store them whole somewhere dark and dry....don't be tempted to chop em up or powder em either...leave them as whole fruits dried and you'll be good as gold...looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them ... :wink:

H.

They look like subs to me.

If you did happen to pick some while you where there - i.e. the picture with them sitting on paper.... did you try and peel back the cap from the edge... if the cap top comes off while you are peeling thats called a separable pellicle (correct me if I'm wrong here people) a separable pellicle is an indicator that you have found a psilocybe sub for macroscopic purposes... further, partial veil remnants on the stem are also a giveaway for subs, as is the blueing... nipple of cap etc etc etc.

anyone else reading this - is it time for a pinned sub id thread or what?!

I tried to remove the cap earlier for printing yet I had to use a scalpel as the cap would tear. They were a bit damp from the rain...

Yeah don't sweat on em going mouldy they won't...just spread em out on paper and toss em about every day till they are crispy..it don't take long trust me ...don't be impatient...once they are dry place them in a zip lock bag with a desiccant sack and store them whole somewhere dark and dry....don't be tempted to chop em up or powder em either...leave them as whole fruits dried and you'll be good as gold...looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them ... :wink:

H.

Thanks again mate, yeah Im planning on testing them out soonish, perhaps the smaller size dose for me. Maybe 2grms..

mardybum... wish I had a better memory. In laymans terms the pins break away from the stem and leave spider web like strings for a little while (partial veil) ... these then tend to accumulate spores as the caps open... usually a purple bit on the way down the white/grey/blue stem. not like an up turned annulas like on a cubensis or muscarina.

The separable pellicule bit (my spelling is shit by the way) is a dead give away, anyone else know what I am going on about here? i.e pulling the cap from the edge toward the centre and having the 'skin' of the cap pull away.......

let me know if this makes sense to you.

I could have my terms completely fucked up but I know what I mean - just the terms may be wrong.

mz

Nice find - i take it the mountains you speak of are blue?? in more than one way perhaps?? LOL...

Nice find - i take it the mountains you speak of are blue?? in more than one way perhaps?? LOL...

bluetiful!!!

The separable pellicule bit (my spelling is shit by the way) is a dead give away, anyone else know what I am going on about here? i.e pulling the cap from the edge toward the centre and having the 'skin' of the cap pull away.......

I'm not 100% sure it applies to subs, but yes I know what you're talking about and I'm also pretty sure your spelling is correct. Looks like this: (edit embedded image doesn't work so here's the link)

http://files.shroomery.org/files/07-004/998580991-Separable_gelatinous_pellicle.jpg

But as you mention is often easier to see by carefully splitting from outside of cap to centre.

In regards to drying, my comment in another thread (that I think you might be referring to) where I suggested using the oven is not about heat, only using it as a source of a fan (assuming your oven is fan forced). If you can't set your oven to a low temp, don't use it - your subs will be destroyed! The movement of air that a fan provides will speed up drying time a great deal. Fast dry time is especially important for subs (amongst other mushrooms) because of the bugs and larvae that will likely be present.

Awesome find BTW.

Edited by poo

Wow!, nice find! Damn, I really want to get the pictures on my phone up somehow to see if what I had were subs....I was up in the mountains a month ago with what I could have sworn were subs, I don't think I waited long enough for them to go blue, so I left them. How long did it take yours to change colour?

Sweet Baby Jeebus...nice find...look after that patch..ie pinch or cut those babies, and dont damage the myc