The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Psilocybe semilanceata

Panaeolus foenisecii has brown spores, not to say they look like Panaeolus foenisecii, but rather to say that Panaeolus spp. can have brown spores.

It's difficult tell whether the gills are mottled or not from those photos, although the first photo has a single mushrooms showing its gills and from what I can see they don't look to be mottled. I'm not really familiar with the genus Conocybe, but from what I've seen of them, they look to be a pretty good match. Considering some species are active, it could explain the bluing reaction too, which being a Galerina spp. could not.

Yeah, they don't look like liberty caps. But interesting that you had one with a strong blueing reaction, whatever type they are. I'm not sure where you send them away to have them identified - someone on here is sure to be able help with that :) nice finds though, and the photography looks as good as some of mine that I do with my camera :blush:

Do they have a slimy feel to them, the stem in particular..?

not caps anyways.

Definitely leaning towards ferrets direction, they don't look like liberty caps to me. Check out the find in tassie by obtuse, those ones look like semilanceata. But my knowledge on them is purely text and photo based, no field experience.

If you have pretty strong feelings towards em, might be worth getting the RBG to check em out. :)

Edited by gerbil

Dry them and send a gill fragment sample and maybe spore print aslwell too workman at sporeworks. They kinda remind me of Psilocybe ATL#7

Got me flipping out now whether the one's I found today were the same as I found the other day.

Theses were the ones I found in the first place.

post-968-127382404622_thumb.jpgpost-968-127382417197_thumb.jpg

And the whole reason I thought they were liberty caps

post-968-127382426507_thumb.jpg

Bad quality, but you can clearly see the bluing, so its got to be something exciting, yeah?

Anyway the gills are a light yellow brown at first then go to rusty brown and the cap is dark brown to pale yellow and yes chiral, they did feel slimmy when wet, even the cap. The one's I found today had a shorter stem and the nipple was not as distinct, but other than that they looked the same to me. BUT, then again that one blue staining one could be different to the rest all together, since I did I find the one that stains blue by its self about 300 metres away from the other patch.

Anyway all I know is I've got at least one active mushroom here and I'd be very interested to know what it is?

post-968-127382404622_thumb.jpg

post-968-127382417197_thumb.jpg

post-968-127382404622_thumb.jpg

post-968-127382417197_thumb.jpg

Dry them and send a gill fragment sample and maybe spore print aslwell too workman at sporeworks. They kinda remind me of Psilocybe ATL#7

Although not Ps.semilanceata, given the photo's and description, these are most likely Psilocybes. Which means that there's a high probability of these being new and undescribed. Definitely cause for excitement.

You should get workman to check em.

Edited by Mycot

The one's I found today had a shorter stem and the nipple was not as distinct, but other than that they looked the same to me. BUT, then again that one blue staining one could be different to the rest all together, since I did I find the one that stains blue by its self about 300 metres away from the other patch.

These do look like and match psilocybe and these are most likely all the same.

Definitely not Psilocybe galindii (ATL#7).

What makes you rule out a Conocybe spp. Mycot?

It might be worth considering Psilocybe alutacea as a possibility. I've not seen any photos of it before, but it is supposed to look very similar to P. semilanceata.

Honestly out in the sub patches around here those things are literally everywhere, when they are tiny you go right down for closer inspection and as soon as you touch and feel the slime then you no it's not what you are looking for...we always disregard those things as they are literally everywhere where subs grow, mainly towrads the grassy margins etc.

I've not seen one blue before, but hey I don't remember holding one for very long either as they are so gross to handle.

Honestly out in the sub patches around here those things are literally everywhere, when they are tiny you go right down for closer inspection and as soon as you touch and feel the slime then you no it's not what you are looking for...we always disregard those things as they are literally everywhere where subs grow, mainly towrads the grassy margins etc.

I've not seen one blue before, but hey I don't remember holding one for very long either as they are so gross to handle.

sure there the same? I mean you wouldn't need to actually touch these mushrooms to know there not subs.

yeah that's really cool, thanks for sharing jabez, frustrating with the camera phone for all involved hey lol

Those stems look really fragile, are they? with the semilanceata, they should be pliant (flexible).

And what is 'brown' with the print? Getting any purpling in it?

Edited by gerbil

The first pictures by Jabez is almost certainly a conocybe species that is quite common in wet grasslands even in parks in melbourne.

The second photos by Jabez's ID is probably dependent on where it is found. I dont think its semilanceata. If its not more of the same conocype collection then id have to say it may be Psilocybe strictipes (spelling?) has been reported and collected in Victoria Australia.

if it was collected in Tasmanian then I would assume it is the newly described species from down there.

I can see the bluing and its interesting that it is similar to that apparent in subaeruginosa (dark, pen ink blue) because semilanceata and most continental species have a lighter colour to their bluing.

Also Ill be starting microscopic work on mushrooms again once Ive moved house. Im no workman, but I can spin a slide or two

Well, now there dried out and I've fully inspected them and looked at the gills with my little hand held 100x miroscope, I can say with confidence that all mushrooms in the above pictures are the same species. I don't think there a conocybe spp either. More than happy if someone wants to try prove me wrong though.

After having a quick look at everyones guesses, I'm thinking your probably right Zen, P. strictipes feels right. It could be P. alutacea, but I can't really find much about it, except that it resembles P. semilanceata.

The print looks psilocybe to me and the stem was tough, like a sub. I tried to get a decent shot of the print, but it's too weak and theres no way my phone can get it.

So I thought I'd take a photo of the moon for you all instead.

post-968-127388750289_thumb.jpg

Well, actually it's the spore print on white paper though my 100x led microscope, don't know if it helps much.

hmm its an interesting one jabez.. spores appear to be dark enough to rule out my suggestion of conocybe. i reckon you should send em in to RBG and see if they can id it!

Definitely not Psilocybe galindii (ATL#7).

What makes you rule out a Conocybe spp. Mycot?

It might be worth considering Psilocybe alutacea as a possibility. I've not seen any photos of it before, but it is supposed to look very similar to P. semilanceata.

Yeah, wasn't suggesting they were ATL#7, just that they reminded me macroscopically of a Psilocybe sp. Now just have to see wat it keys to microscopically. Personally IO rekon Workman is the in best position to do this, however I am not aware of wat resources and priority RBG give to these kinds of things.

they did feel slimmy when wet, even the cap.

Suggests a pellicle a property of some species of psilocybe.

From Wiki.

Conocybe are mushrooms which are thin, Mycena like, with a dry cap surface.

Edited by Mycot

Workman is obviously the best option.

if you want to have a look, take a gill fragment and put it on a slide - the cystidia are probably the most helpful.

Also from wiki describing conocybe.

Most have a long, thin fragile stem and are delicate.

The print looks psilocybe to me and the stem was tough, like a sub.

Edited by Mycot

After spending all afternoon crawling around in wet grass near where I found the other blue stainer, I finally managed to find 2 more that are developing the same bluing at the base of the stem as they dry. They were in thick moist grass growing on wallaby dung.

So we do have a blue staining dung lover here in Victoria, awesome!

BTW, how would I contact workman?

Im arranging for someone in NZ with a lot of microscope experience to possibily have a look at these if you like.

Where they found on grass or dung. Sorry I couldnt work that out. Ill pm you for more details,.

Im arranging for someone in NZ with a lot of microscope experience to possibily have a look at these if you like.

Where they found on grass or dung. Sorry I couldnt work that out. Ill pm you for more details,.

Sweet! Thanks mate, however I can get them identified is good for me.  I've got 3 specimens now that have clear bluing at the base of the stem anyway, also I think 7 more that have no blue staining but look identical.

Ok, I found them in a small section of cleared out bush, so it's basically just grassland with chopped down trees, weeds and dead wood all over the place (gyms are everywhere). The ones I found today were hiding in grass, but when I picked them they just came straight up with the wallaby dung still on the end. Where the ones I found the other day where also hiding in grass, but actually had to be picked out of the ground. Although this area is like a wallaby city at night, there everywhere. So I'm thinking a good portion of the soil there would probably be made up of wallaby dung. Either way, the 2 blue stainers I picked today came directly from wallaby dung.