The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Psilocybe semilanceata

This is fascinating. Awesome find jabez!

I definitely think you should send some gills to Workman. He is probably one of the best qualified microscopists for the job.

This is fascinating. Awesome find jabez!

I definitely think you should send some gills to Workman. He is probably one of the best qualified microscopists for the job.

Agreed, fully fascinating.

Although I favor it being a psilocybe species I doubt it being either P.strictipes or P.alutacea.

P.strictipes is not known to grow on dung and P.alutacea has a striate cap.

Link to the paper describing P.alutacea.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showuser=4065

Send him a PM, above is the link for workman. He only needs a few gills I think. So plenty to go around. Send him a pm and I'll PM him at shroomery to check his PM box and this thread out here.

Peace

N

Done. Thanks Naja.

I found another 1 that looks identical to the blue stainers this morning, but doesn't stain blue. They both have gills that are that same yellowish colour at first then go to dark rusty brown. There spore prints are the same.The one thing is, most of the ones that don't stain blue seem to have more of a convex cap, where as the blue stainers all seem to have more of a conical cap with a distinctive nipple. Don't think that means much, just don't like not seeing any bluing. Fuckin good look a likes if there not the same!

Anyway heres a picture of the one that didn't stain blue.

post-968-127400884272_thumb.jpg

Also, after eventually giving up and going back for some milk caps that I saw earlier, I found this little guy sticking out from the pine needles. It's staining blue at the base of the stem as it dries out.

post-968-127400964397_thumb.jpg

BTW, this is the type of habitat I've been finding them in.

post-968-1274009812_thumb.jpg

peace

nevermind.

Edited by Chiral

nevermind.

yeah it's a good album. But what are your thoughts on the mushroom?

I found another 1 that looks identical to the blue stainers this morning, but doesn't stain blue. They both have gills that are that same yellowish colour at first then go to dark rusty brown. There spore prints are the same.The one thing is, most of the ones that don't stain blue seem to have more of a convex cap, where as the blue stainers all seem to have more of a conical cap with a distinctive nipple. Don't think that means much, just don't like not seeing any bluing. Fuckin good look a likes if there not the same!

Due to picture quality, I'm not sure I can offer an opinion whether your dealing with look a likes or not.

All the same you've got some blue-ers and there's microscopy.

Nice work all the same.

You really need a better camera. Beg, borrow or steal. :)

I want to wait for the report before I say much more, but there is a look alike which is fairly common up here. The only real way to tell the difference is that the look alike always grows in wallaby (maybe kangaroo too) dung, where as the blue stainer grows where wallabies graze and only sometimes directly in dung. The blue stainer is also a slightly larger mushroom (although the largest found so far has been a 1.5 cm cap) and is usually solitary or in pairs, the look alike is smaller and grows in groups. There both very sticky mushrooms, slimy when moist, to the point that you sometimes can't get hold of it. The one sure way I've been telling the difference is by squeezing the base of the stem, which does nothing in the look alikes but automaticly bruises the blue stainers to a brown colour, which goes to purple then to black and dries out to a ink blue.

More blue stainers

post-968-127431366737_thumb.jpg

Sent a sample off the other day, so I'll just have to wait and see.

I will try to get a camera too, or maybe another camera app might help. I do get some nice shots with more mealy mushrooms, but you got to remember these things are tiny.

are your look alikes stropharia semiglobata?

with slimy feeling stem.

Cheers, Obtuse.

The only issue here is that these are fairly common particularly around where you find subs, wombat poo, kangaroo poo and wallaby poo, edges of pine mulch margins etc..and this is a P. semilanceata thread. just might have been more fruitful to have these in another thread until a proper ID had been confirmed. Wouldn't want anyone picking them and thinking they are lib caps is all.

just saying.

The only issue here is that these are fairly common particularly around where you find subs, wombat poo, kangaroo poo and wallaby poo, edges of pine mulch margins etc..and this is a P. semilanceata thread. just might have been more fruitful to have these in another thread until a proper ID had been confirmed. Wouldn't want anyone picking them and thinking they are lib caps is all.

just saying.

Your a betting man chiral, care to make it interesting? A bag of your finest? It stains blue and it's not a sub!

BTW, you are a mod, couldn't you just split the thread? I was waiting for the results before I asked. I know I stuffed up by thinking it was a liberty cap, But come on. How often do you see a blue staining mushroom looking like that around here?

If i saw them id say S. semiglob for sure. Can ya get a better pic at all and one showing the blueing? Dont look like liberties thats for sure, much more stropharia like

I see them all the time along with P.coprophilia which some have claimed to see blueing, mite grab a few next time and see what happens, plenty about.

Isn't stropharia semiglobata a larger mushroom? This is small, over 17 found and the largest had a 1.5 cm cap.

I can't get a camera right now, but it don't matter much anyway. I've sent a sample to workman and if there just a common mushroom and i'm making an idiot of my self and imagining the blue staining, I'm sure he'll know. 

The look alikes I keep talking about look exactly like this. But I can't find a actual name?

http://www.anbg.gov.au/fungi/images-captions/psilocybe-sp-0215.html

Ive seen S semiglob in as many shapes and sizes as subs pretty much. From short and fat to really tall and skinny, some small, some large. Workman will know, be good to see something new!

The only real way to tell the difference is that the look alike always grows in wallaby (maybe kangaroo too) dung, where as the blue stainer grows where wallabies graze and only sometimes directly in dung.

One cool thing about them being tolerant of dung is that these may be quite amenable to cultivation using standard methods. :drool2:

I'm guessing there psilocybe parvula, I can't see one thing from the discription that would indicate there not. Plus they keep talking about the identical look alike in the discription aswell.

I want to wait for the report before I say much more, but there is a look alike which is fairly common up here. The only real way to tell the difference is that the look alike always grows in wallaby (maybe kangaroo too) dung, where as the blue stainer grows where wallabies graze and only sometimes directly in dung.

are your look alikes stropharia semiglobata?

with slimy feeling stem.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I just reread this thread, and i realise it sounded like i was questioning your ids.

i hope this wasnt the case.

I think this is brilliant, and i think it also shows that we as a community are becomming more sensitive to the diverse range of fungi in our midst. there is so much more to learn.

I'm looking forward to hearing what workman has to say about the sample you have sent him.

have you found anymore since, as it would be great to get much better pics of these. but i know it can be hard sometimes. i dont know how many times ive done really bad pics during my long walks.

anyway, cheers, Obtuse.

Also send a specimen or two to an appropriate museum/RBG for preservation if it turns out to be a diff species.

Well I sent a sample of those mushrooms away ages ago now and haven't heard anything back. Haven't been looking for them either, since this cold baron wasteland is far to cold for a homo sapien to be outside and I've basically been getting ready to fly north for winter.

Point being, I'm over it. Gathered up what I had (nearly 30 mushrooms) which worked out to be just over a gram of material and guess what? Little suckers are active. You'd probably need a fair bit more to get anything decent from them. But just mild smooth and buzzy, no pulling sensation, which to be honest I get from even small doses of subs.

Anyway, got one really good spore print here, also a few weak ones.

Be nice to stuff around with them more, but fuck this cold weather!

Peace

Looks liek they still havent been found anyone been to Mt.buffalo this season was suppose to go but I didnt get a chance...

Keep looking everyone they must be here somewhere!

Ive been looking intently around the Yarra ranges and Gembrook region for Ps.semilanceata without success. I now live at altitude and in the grass here which is under heavy eucalypt forest we got heaps of species but not actives other than your classic sub. Which is plentiful and seems to appeara much more gold coloured when growing off more natural substrates than pine bark (where I used to find it, often wavy and often very brown in colour compared to the goldies I see up here).

My thoughts are that if its from western victoria then it could be the newly discovered species that blues from around the grampians. Nothing on it has been published yet although I seemed to remember it was a wood lover??

You could buy a scope yourself, get a usb plug and some slides/stains and do it yourself. All you really need is spore measurements and more importantly basidia/cystidia (edge of gill is easier than wall of gill so C.cystidia are easier to get good images of than p.cystidia).

Try and get some close up pics of gills, etc. thanks !!

Hey zpbgreenie, what do you reckon of the cheapish e bay ones? Won't bother to list a picture as the cheap ones are pretty much all the same type.... worth getting one or no?

edit: just thought I would add... I am a bit suss on them as I'm wondering how it would be able to zoom in or take a picture without bumping the thing.

Edited by meanies

Hope u didn't eat the only type specimens for that species, remember sum psilocybes in cultivation have only ever been collected once or twice from the wild.

Vic midlands post-251-0-01311600-1403971018_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-01311600-1403971018_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-01311600-1403971018_thumb.jpg

Edited by ferret
  • Like 5

When I was studying botany at unsw back in 92 there was a jar of preserved semilanceata specimens that was collected in roseville Sydney back in the 80s...I'm sure they are around but definitely not common.