The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Psilocybe semilanceata

You should start looking when the day temperatures drop steady below 15C. The best hunting time is when its cold enough to want your gloves. A good sign of when the season is coming to it's end is when the ground freezes for serveral nights in a row or you get snow that stays on the ground for more than a day.

And, I must add. It's not when Amanitas grow, the amanitas will be gone long before the liberty cap hunting season start

So Would it be safe to say its liberty season now? I spent the weekend in Oberon & there was still

plenty of snow from last weeks dump,in the valley's and corners where the sun can't reach &

hardly any shroom activity,no flys at all.

There is a fair bit of pasture up there...would they grow in NSW??

Pretty rare, if not found at all in Australia from all the reading on em...plus I haven't ever seen anyone or heard anyone ever say they have seen them or taken them...I think neoshaman said he has seen them but I highly doubt it...that doesn't stop us looking but some spores or some myc scattered in the OZ winds wouldn't hurt getting them up and running. They are a very distinct looking mushroom and very hard to miss.

H.

I used to live not so far from Oberon and hunted extensively. I really don't think that they grow here. I am a bit skeptical about them growing in Oz at all. I know they are in Statmets book but who found them and when? Are they in any other Fungi books of Australia with reported findings?

The most likely spots I could think of would be in the Alpine areas or Tassie somewhere... prove me wrong but I really doubt em being here.

As for shroom activity after snow, I agree with you Birdman, things seem to kinda drop off after snow. the lower mountains might be the go now rather than at that altitude.

peace

mz

It would be great if we could get some spores out there and get 'em up and

running. Meanies after snow and a few good days of sun would the Subs

creep back or not till later months?

I'm not an expert, just an avid bushwalker and ground looker! I recall that once there has been snow or sleet as it's more aptly named in those areas that the mushrooms kinda drop off and are much harder to find. There is always microclimates however and if you look well they might find ya. But I would think that concentrating on the lower altitudes would be more productive than where it has been so cold.

But... they do tend to pop up in the strangest of places. Recently I found a small patch living under tree tea by a coastal lagoon. :) It's not always pine forest for the ol' sub

mz

Im telling you with 100% certainty that there have been confirmed collections of Ps semilanceata from Mt Buffalo in Victoria and from the central highlands of Tasmania (by BIO himself, the man that you can thank for about half of the early cubensis strains). Im pretty sure there is even a collection in the botanical gardens herbarium.

Try to get untreated grass seed as substrate! But make absolutely sure that its not sprayed! They are not that hard to grow but dont like certain grain substrates and dont grow well on agar either! bye Eg

• Like 1

FWIW, I've come across these, although I can provide no evidence, as no samples were taken and it was a long time ago.

Location was alpine high-plains between Bogong and The Snowy's, habitat was snow-grass (occurring predominantly along *very* old remains of fence-lines). Sighted enough for me to have clear memories of them being a prevalent mushroom in the area/conditions. At the time I was not into fungii, but have seen enough to now be willing to put $ on their ID.

The more that i think about it, the more it feels that they were on the Snowy's more than the VIC Alps, as the sightings were whilst trout-fishing and that's predominately where I've fished snowplain-wise.

ed

Interesting trip report on the Psilocybe semilanceata HERE although these guys mix GHB with it it's interesting to note they claim that these are the most potent mushroom in the psilocybin family...my memories of them where they are pretty potent but in a light almost MDMA way...lot's of giggling and laughing and things changing colour for no apparent reason....not a dark trip like a woodlover and not so DMT like cubensis.

H.

Iv got a few wild+ weak semilanceata prints on paper (from germany),

if there are any agar magicians getting around here...

I will give it a go if you like?

I was able to cut the print into 7 smaller pieces. I think there should be more than enuff spores to get agar cultures going. Il offer them in a thread of their own too

:)

So how are people going to attempt to cultivate a cold loving grass lover...sounds like outdoors is the only way to get this one running..ala wood lovers only with different substrate...

H.

So how are people going to attempt to cultivate a cold loving grass lover...sounds like outdoors is the only way to get this one running..ala wood lovers only with different substrate...

H.

With some slightly more sophisticated set ups id imagine.

Even workman and other lab dudes haven't quite tapped it yet. its more than just keeping them cooler that needs to b explored.

From memory, for about $50 u can find a thermostat device that you plug your bar fridge straight into ($99 brand new from warehouse).. the thermostat will just turn the fridge off when it gets too cold..

I reckon that's a good start..

an pond pump.. a jar of perlite.. (humidifier) a drill.. some silicon..

BAM BAM! :)

FWIW, I've come across these, although I can provide no evidence, as no samples were taken and it was a long time ago.

Location was alpine high-plains between Bogong and The Snowy's, habitat was snow-grass (occurring predominantly along *very* old remains of fence-lines). Sighted enough for me to have clear memories of them being a prevalent mushroom in the area/conditions. At the time I was not into fungii, but have seen enough to now be willing to put $ on their ID.

The more that i think about it, the more it feels that they were on the Snowy's more than the VIC Alps, as the sightings were whilst trout-fishing and that's predominately where I've fished snowplain-wise.

ed

Interesting might have to check it out and! :)

Nice one reshroomed. Interesting to hear and a shroom that I would love to find. Might have to go on a few forays in the next while. :)

Thanks to G*P I will give it a crack when I'm somewhere safe to do so, both inside and out - I have a good indoor setup that can mimic freezing temps etc. And it gets pretty cold where I'm going too.

;)

Ive always thought something like a wine fridge would be excellent as a FC for cold climate mushrooms. Would just have to work on keeping the RH up there as fridges tend to keep things on the drier side but im sure there would be a way, there is always a way.

1m.jpg

I have one of these for my wine! It would be perfect as a fruiting chamber! I never ever thought of that possibility! But i´d make sure that its made of metal to make sure that there arent any chemicals that get into the shrooms from the wood, etc... Do you know what i mean? The one i have is made of treated and painted wood and i wouldnt want to eat shrooms that were grown inside of it! It would be perfect if you might be able to get one that is built of solid steel on the inside! bye Eg

• Like 1

Yeah damn the mini fridge is a pretty cool idea...you could just remove the divider in the fridge and have one tray in the bottom and that would allow the grass to grow and have a light fixed onto the inner ceiling.

Hope someone gets the agar running and we can have a play with it over the next few years..an old tucker box freezer might work too ...they have a low setting that is very very cold but not freezing...

H.

• Like 1

Found liberty caps in canberra before - in namadgi national park at orroral valley near old NASA tracking stations - it used to be a sheep farm I don't know why you would bother though - subs are easier to find and much more potent.

Edited by botanika

Whoaaaaaa.. who id'd them? Were they eaten?

now that i've read that, you're welcome to delete it ;) lol.

in the fields? in the park, or near the station itself?

Edited by G*P

The reports in this thread of P. semilanceata finds in Australia that are only weakly active make me think perhaps they are something different.

In 1990, a new Psilocybe species was discovered in Tasmania, named Psilocybe alutacea. Judging by its very slow and weak blueing reaction, it seems probable that it is only weakly active.

This species looks very similar to P. semilanceata and has been placed into the section Semilanceatae by Guzman. However, mating tests have confirmed that they are indeed separate species.

It seems quite possible that people have found and ingested P. alutacea or something similar before without realising it.

• Like 1