The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Moses

looking for papaver seeds

Hey all

i'm looking for Papaver seed

i had the large pink variety but would like something in a red or white flower :drool2:

looking to do a fairly big planting for full effect of flower display

thanx :)

Edited by MOSES

Hey all

i'm looking for Papaver somniferum seed

i had the large pink variety but would like something in a red or white flower :drool2:

looking to do a fairly big planting for full effect of flower display

thanx :)

A fairly big planting would be fairly big illegal! :(

A fairly big planting would be fairly big illegal! :(

yeh its a shame that as supermarket seeds are legal til they hit the dirt...dang it :bootyshake:

I see poppies growing all the time, are they illegal to grow just in SA or all of aus? surely having a good patch of poopies cant get you raided, its the peace plant of world war 2. stupid laws ;/

Check your PM Moses, got a link for ya

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

I think big swarms of birds or something must drop poppy seed in my yard & seeing as how I dunno much about plants

I don't wanna pull 'em out in case they're rare or native. I rang the council ages ago & asked 'em to come out & identify 'em but, nobody

came officer :wink:

• Like 1

"Wild poppies flower when other plants in their direct neighbourhood are dead. Their seeds can lie on the ground for years and years, but only when there are no more competing flowers or shrubs in the vicinity (for instance when someone firmly roots up the ground), these seeds will sprout.

There was enough rooted up soil on the battlefield of the Western Front; in fact the whole front consisted of churned up soil. So in May 1915, when McCrae wrote his poem, around him bloodred poppies blossomed like no one had ever seen before.

But in this poem the poppy plays one more role. The poppy is known as a symbol of sleep. The last line We shall not sleep, though poppies grow / In Flanders fields might point to this fact. Some kinds of poppies are used to derive opium from, from which morphine is made. Morphine is one of the strongest painkillers and was often used to put a wounded soldier to sleep. Sometimes medical doctors used it in a higher dose to put the incurable wounded out of their misery."

"poppies are a reminder of the fields of poppies found on one of Europe’s historical battlefields found in France, know as the Somme. They are still covered with these bright red flowers. The Battle of the Somme started in July1st. 1916 and lasted four months. The British lost 400,000 troops. It is almost beyond human comprehension to take in, that 60,000 of those troops died on the first day."

from another source... I think they represent both world wars.

If anyone wants poppy seeds send me a message. I have Persian White seeds which are a sandy white colur(the seed) and the flower is all white. Some Tazzie's and some more special ones( Hen and Chicks etc.)

I would be happy to help. I am after some loph seeds myself. I am not sure if I can sell my seeds for cash on this site. I will check the rules. Awesome site!

Welcome to the forum mate :) good to see more SA peeps joining in.

Ill warn you though, this place is so farkn addictive :)

I love these kind of sites also, addictive as hell!!!!

• Like 1