The Corroboree
mutant

Black rot & Trichocerei

I think some of the worse occasions , like Kada photos earlier were not black rot exclusive, it seems and well could be some more powerful rot took over from the harmless black rot and fucked up those cereoids there.

here's something interesting.

this clone has been very black rot positive [a find from a multi store] and has been stressed a lot in general for various reasons. I took a 10 cm mid cut where the 'black rot' activity was intense, almost a third of the the surface was scabbed. The tip cutting had a couple of very recent black rot marks surface.

P1010240.jpg

Does black rot occur to Eilleen and PsychoO ??? EDITED BY MODERATOR.

Edited by Evil Genius

mutant you could be right the genus could carry the spore like an infection in its systemand when conditions are right it gets a hold and starts growing a lesion on the plant. like people get acne or better boils. Most people that get bolis carry the virus? infection in their sinuses but alot of poeple can carry it but only some get lesions, if you get my drift..

[quote name='mutant' timestamp='1293211701' post='282221'

Does black rot occur to Eilleen and PsychoO ???

Yup.....a well established eileen started from a cutting few years back has recently been affected with black rot. I held high hopes for this clone to be largely immune to black rot. Still, the rate of recovery is markedly faster than other unnamed bridgesii.

anyone else found a relation between scale and black rot?

thanks guys!

anyone else found a relation between scale and black rot?

scale is stress, so it might cause the expression of the 'black rot' bacteria? what's your obserbations?

Edited by mutant

thanks guys!

scale is stress, so it might cause the expression of the 'black rot' bacteria? what's your obserbations?

just sometimes when i pick the dryed up black rot blisters off my bridgesii plants they have the scale long stalk things that tunnel into the flesh.

Hmmm might be only a coincidence.. perhaps...

just sometimes when i pick the dryed up black rot blisters off my bridgesii plants they have the scale long stalk things that tunnel into the flesh.

Are you sure that the "tail" isn't the end of a spine which has been buried in the flesh of the cactus and then fused to the skin of the blister?

ust sometimes when i pick the dryed up black rot blisters off my bridgesii plants they have the scale long stalk things that tunnel into the flesh.

Sounds like you are picking off a scab that has occurred due to spine damage hence the long stalk thing going into the flesh. I have seen this alot and it doesnt necessarily mean there is a spine still in there just a sore/scab that travels into the flesh.

As for healing black rot, i have found that making a few small incisions with a razor or the like thru the skin helps to heal them/dry them out. This usually works if i see any smaller spots on TBMs. I havent really tried it on any big "infections" on larger plants due to the fact my plants very rarely get it here and if they do they have healed by themselves rather fast so i usually disregard it.

I got some nice bridgesii cuttings recently, there was no sign of black rot on them when I got them, and I have had them sitting on a glass table undercover out the back for the last week or so. I noticed one little spot of black a couple of days after getting them, but wasn't worried as it sometimes occurred on Trichs in NZ and always grew out, but then today I noticed that there were quite a number of small and one or two larger patches of it on the different cuttings.

I was surprised as it is generally really hot and dry here, but then I remembered it was actually quite humid (for Perth) yesterday. So dry and hot, and humidity seem to promote it.. weird.

Anyway, I put some tomato dust on them as I read zelly recommended sulphur somewhere else and that is the only powdered sulphur I can find (think it alos contains copper) I hope it doesn't spread as these cuttings haven't even finished callousing yet.. as I said I got it occasionally in NZ, but this would have to be the most rapid onset and largest amount I have seen I think (still relatibvely small though).

Anyway, just adding my experience with it to this thread.. can anyone advise from experience whether applying sulphur actually works?

Hi chilli, i Dont think i ever had black rot starting at so many places at once. Based on the fact all the cuttings seem to come from the same plant, its still possible that it really is black rot but also keep in mind other potential (and not so benign) infections. But its still more likely you have black rot than something worse because with fresh cuttings, you have a whole lot of entry points for the black rot spores there. Just be cauteous.

Edited by Evil Genius

yeah the thing is I'm not sure if they wer already there or if I just noticed them.. I did see at least one spot a few days ago.. there are one or two main spots on each of the seven cuttings, and yes they are all from the same plant. It's definitely the same black spot I have seen before, but yeah haven't really seen it this much, but then I dont usually have a lot of ucttings at once! What worries me is on a couple there are (very small) spots quite deep between the ribs near the top.

Just edited my post again. Yeah if you have a bunch of cuttings from the same bridgesii, i think its more likey you have black rot than something worse. No pics? Black rot is very easy to spot later on so just keep an eye on em. If it eats its way through the cacti, its not black rot. Black rot weakens everything around the entry point up to a certain degree but stops after some time.

Thanks EG, that is reassuring. Yes it has that hard bubble/black under skin/weeping on larger patches symptoms of the black rot.. I got pretty used to seeing it in NZ but never this bad, I will post some pictures tomorrow its too dark outside now and I'm too lazy to bring them in. :)

In your experience does sulphur do anything?

Never tried sulphur so no experience with it. Might use it in the future though. Its on the list of things i might try next season.

They have been sitting outside under a patio where it has been really hot.. think it is best to leave them out there or move them inside? I am worried if it is too dark they will begin to etiolate.

I found the mother lode of black rot today, on a plant that had been all but buried by vegetation in my backyard jungle. Extreme etiolation and black rot the likes (or extent) of which I've never seen before. 

IMG_1900.jpg

in most cases black rot can be totally prevented / eliminated  by adding copious amounts of garden lime to the soil

On 14/02/2023 at 3:36 AM, zelly said:

in most cases black rot can be totally prevented / eliminated  by adding copious amounts of garden lime to the soil

How much wpuld be considered a copious amount?