The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
al-Tair.

What on earth is going on here?

Hey guys, first post here after heading your wonderful advice for a couple of years now!

Went on a bit of a hunt today in SE Victoria, came up with a reasonable haul. On my travels I encountered these little guys which almost look like subs that have blued themselves silly. Just wanting to know what your thoughts are?

Cheers

post-4292-1243414648_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1243414686_thumb.jpg

Could well be little subs, I'd try not to pick any mushrooms that havent opened their veils yet, for both ID purposes and the purpose of spreading those spores, once they have dropped spore their reproductive purpose should be just about served.

Peace

Oh thanks for the reply mate, yeah i've been trying to steer away from the less formed ones, will take that on board.

Is it normal for subs to get very blue (almost black) on top before they're picked?

this isn't an ID, but i'd say they are subs.

Yes is it normal for them to be like that, it's a sign of environmental conditions like getting hit by a frost or drying and wetting, drying and wetting etc; they've been through a rough patch over time and are not in their pristine state.

yeah some of the ones i've found have been almost totally black...i'd assume it was from frost and rain etc. makes it a bastard to find them though you really have to train your eyes to look for them. from the pics they do look a lot like subs...don't quote me on that though..

I don't think the black is so much from frost as from the sun. I've personally only seen it twice. If you put a sub in direct sunlight it will get black really quickly. I think what tends to happen is the subs are subjected to the warmth and light of the late afternoon sun very briefly before it falls below the hills and the temp drops down again. This brief window of heat/light isn't quite enough to destroy them, but shocks and discolors the outer flesh, then the sudden drop in temp allows them to recover and try to keep growing/opening up. That's why you'll often see that one small section of the cap is less affected, the side more protected from the sun. Just a theory...

its blue not black and is from degradation of the actives, so yes from rain, sunlight, being picked :P ect.

Yeah the pics don't show the colour all that well, but it's definitely a really dark blue. Thanks for all you help gents!