The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DreamingNagual

First Time Outdoor grown1

Hey all, At About this time last year some bags of Sawdust & Woodchip mulch

was spread outdoors amongst a few wild patches in an attempt to provide a fresh

and new enviroment for this seasons Flushes to take advantage of.

Some of the pre-existing ground matter containing a lot of Mycelium was taken

and placed in a black garbage bag with some of the fresh mulch layered over the top.

This was left and forgotten about, And because the bag was ripped open

most of the medium had actually dried out almost compleatly over the summer.

Well, Today while in the garden, Just out of curiousity a corner of the bag was peeled back to reveal a baby Sub, Poking its head out of the Mulch.

I will try and get some pics up asap!

Edited by DreamingNagual

yeh mine all dried out over summer, REALLY DRIED OUT. Is fruiting nicely now but slugs are the problem as usual. I tried snail bait last coulpla seasons but they still go straight for the fruits the lil fuckers. Daily vigilance is needed to combat them.

Good luck!

Try what I use,

A moat filled with beer surrounding the thing needing protection,

Or just 2 or 3 margarine tubs or similar strategically placed & buried to ground level then filled with beer, I guarantee you that they will go for the booze first everytime!

yeh beer traps are the shit but the problem i have is the lil slug fuckers seem to like burrowing down into the chips, eating myc and pins whilst hiding at the same time. I have the lot in a perspex box and can see what is going on all around the sides so i can get at the bastids when i see them its just the buggers i cant see that do the damage. I dont think perspex box was a good idea this season either, there is heaps of fruit on the sides and bottom of the box that cant seem to push its way to the top but keeps fruiting there due to the light it is getting obviously. Oh well, least i know the box is full of goodness, enough to make another four or five boxes for next year.

who needs boxes tho. This season is fukn crackn WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Might need more than 1 wheel barrow hey pass.... :P

H.

Just usin the wheelbarrow to fill the ute hunab :P

Sorry if this has been asked before, But I am not able to research this further where I am at the moment!

So Hypotheticaly speaking, If one were to make up some spore water syringes

using freshly taken prints.

Then was to introduce the spores in & over a bed of chips & mulch that was already partly colonised and fruiting.

(Keeping in mind that the optimal conditions needed for development will be artificially supplied to suit their needs!)

Would these spores produce or help to produce anything of value in this same season or would they need time to do whatever spores do to get their shit into gear and not show anything till next year?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DreamingNagual

better to innoculate some WBS with that syringe and then use the spawn to run onto burlap sacks or cardboard ...use styro tubs and build up layers of cardboard and spawn and woodchips...ad some dirt here and there and add more spawn in between each layer...it can take time but once the myc runs through those goodies you can then transfer that to an outdoor bed with logs and lots of old woody debris....squirting spore syringe across the ground is going to be very very hit and miss and chances are really quite small of getting anything up and running....best to use the WBS spawn to cardboard and small chips in a box routine to get cold lovers going....also picking subs buy the roots and cutting the myc off and placing it in between 2 pieces of wet cardboard works really really well and you'd be surprised how quick it colonises the cardboard.

H.

Thanks HK, I should of been more descriptive, The whole cardboard & hessian technique is what helped get me to this stage. :wink:

Its a bit more advanced than just Blindly Squirting Spores Across a patch on the ground.

I used thick black Plastic bags instead of styro tubs to hold the Chip/Mulch layers.

One contained Clean Chips & sawdust, That I left to decay for a month then I added parts of the Myc covered Cardboard, hessian, Small sticks & stem buts, Then Left to do its thing under the shade of a lemon Tree & few Tobbaco plants.

The other 2 was a mixture of Clean Chips & Sawdust Mulch Layed with heavily Colonised Woodmulch & ground matter from a very healthy wild Patch.

The first bag is the only one thats was left dry after finding the whole 3 had dried up over the summer.

Its also the only one yet to fruit so I was thinking of ways to help it along, And wondering what, If any extra benefit the heavily sporated water would of had on the areas of colonisation still active and exposed.

Cheers.

better to innoculate some WBS with that syringe and then use the spawn to run onto burlap sacks or cardboard ...use styro tubs and build up layers of cardboard and spawn and woodchips...ad some dirt here and there and add more spawn in between each layer...it can take time but once the myc runs through those goodies you can then transfer that to an outdoor bed with logs and lots of old woody debris....squirting spore syringe across the ground is going to be very very hit and miss and chances are really quite small of getting anything up and running....best to use the WBS spawn to cardboard and small chips in a box routine to get cold lovers going....also picking subs buy the roots and cutting the myc off and placing it in between 2 pieces of wet cardboard works really really well and you'd be surprised how quick it colonises the cardboard.

H.

presumably an outdoor bed needs some level of watering in dry periods to survive???

Your right CrayZ,

Sufficient watering needs to be kept up over the warmer off season periods.

Here are some pics of how the outdoor patch mentioned was started.

This is Mycelium from wild Vegetable matter spread onto damp cardboard.

post-16-1243846979_thumb.jpg

Once established this was later transfered to some Corragated Cardboard with more Myc covered matter, Sticks, Bark, Stem Butts, Etc. Sandwiched in the middle.

post-16-1243846887_thumb.jpg

post-16-1243847299_thumb.jpg

post-16-1243847405_thumb.jpg

Same waiting process again, Then This time the Myc Mix was transferred to Woodchips and decaying Ground/Leaf Matter & formed this spread.

post-16-1243847610_thumb.jpg

post-16-1243847670_thumb.jpg

I will get some pics of it fruiting when I can find the Digi Cam which seems to have gone missing!

Cheers.

Edited by DreamingNagual

wicked as ...youv'e done a great job...so are you getting fruits already...?

H.

Yes HK, It has fruited already!

The whole process was started between the end of May Start of June last year.

Thanks for your positive comments!

Really nice work DN! Hope you find your camera soon, would be great to see your fruits! I'm at the first stage of the images you have shown here. The spread of the myc doesn't seem to be traveling so well as it did in the first few weeks though... any advice? Do I need to add some organic matter or nutrients for it to go further?

Hi poo,

You say your in the first stages,

It sounds similar to what happened with me.

The Growth slowed down and wasnt spreading any further than seen in pic #1.

I am thinking its because the myc doesnt have any goodness coming from the cardboard that I used, as it spread from its original source of natural organic food? I used the inside surface of a Tooheys Red 30 Block Packaging.

This was the stage when I transplanted the "BeerBox" Cardboard into Brown Corragated cardboard from a Television Box, that was Split down the middle to expose the corragation then soaked over night in Boiled Sterile water.

The Myc was then sandwiched in between the 2 layers along with the original Ground Material & some newer More advanced Colonised Eucalypt Matter. Then I just progressed from that point!

Just keep Upgrading & Improving on the mycs enviroments along the lines of the method I have used>

Dont Add any nutrients as this will likely kill the Myc! Its pretty fragile when just exposed in this "wild" manner of tech!

Although, I also say that with these sort of Outdoor techs, The more simple you can get & just letting it do its own thing is also the best way to go!

Its all about experimentation!

Trial and Error are the best ways to learn these things & sometimes things just go freaky & run amok :)

Sorry if This post seems a bit over the place, I am Slightly effected by alcohol After a few to many after dinner wines :blush:

Edited by DreamingNagual

Sorry if This post seems a bit over the place, I am Slightly effected by alcohol After a few to many after dinner wines :blush:

Not at all - nice way to spend an evening!

Thanks for your reply. I guess I skipped your first step and went straight to the better corrugated cardboard. Seems to have progressed well, but it seems it might benefit from a little organic matter... makes sense. Will see if I can find some appropriate stuffs in the next few days. Thanks again.

layers of wet cardboard, in between layers of wood chips in between layers of cut up burlap sack, dirt and old soft logs more cardboard and more chips...just keep building up the layers and collecting the myc...it will take time and yes it needs to be kept wet...I recently acquired a wooden shipping box and it will be filled with all my collected myc and bark and logs and chips etc soon...the box is wooden and so the myc can run all around the inside of the box and chips and paper and cardboard etc....pics to come soon.

H.

Very nice DN! :drool2:

Thanks for the great advice guys! I just wish I had checked in and read this a few days ago.

I collected some really nice spore prints over the last week and just did the "Blindly Squirting Spores Across a patch on the ground" trick last Sunday. The patch of ground is very damp, cold and gets little sunlight at this time of year, and it is covered in woodchips and matter collected from the woodshed over the last year. I did notice yesterday though that there are white patches forming where i spread the spore water ... but I don't want to get too optimistic just yet.

But having just read about the cardboard etc. I'll try that with the next lot of spores I collect.

Thanks chaps, Happy pickings!

But having just read about the cardboard etc. I'll try that with the next lot of spores I collect.

Not that you would need to, but you could always grab a handful of chips that seem to have a little development and put them through a few layers of cardboard... if nothing else it's interesting seeing how it develops.

Just as a quick update, I added some more organic matter/butts (just a little at this stage) and it seems to have really spurred on the myc growth. I plan to add more again in a week or so and keep it going until I have lotsa white :)

Not sure exactly what might happen to this cardboard down the road, open to suggestions. I had thought it might end up distributed through woodchips in a container on the balcony, and some dispersed through the local environment... For the balcony tub, would I be best to sterilize chips first? I figure that way there is much less chance of other spores already present in the wood chips developing...

Not that you would need to, but you could always grab a handful of chips that seem to have a little development and put them through a few layers of cardboard... if nothing else it's interesting seeing how it develops.

I went out yesterday and collected a nice bag of mulch from an area where the subs grow. I was going to collect some matter from my garden but figured I would likely have better results with mulch that I know the subs already grow. I was careful not to take directly from where the subs are so as to not disturb what already might be growing. This stuff looks really healthy and looks like it may have a few bits of myc already in it (hopefully sub), although it was quite dry so I've placed it in a large plastic tub and soaked it overnight. It should now be ready to put in my bits of cardboard with prints on it. I also picked two subs with a bit of myc on the base, I cut off the myc and have those inbetween pieces of wet cardboard and will add those to the mix as well. And, as you suggest, I'll grab some chips out of the garden where I squirted the spore water and put them in the cardboard/mulch mix. Will post pics of any results..

Cheers!

Hey ,

Just started this tek myself and thought I would bump this thread.

So how did you guys go this year.

Who has success,who has fruited,and has anybody continued the process thru 2 seasons

and where are the pics please.