The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MindExpansion

Subs

SO, after all the rain the coast has copped lately one inexperienced hunter expected brimming hauls.

A search of a spot that last time yielded massive hauls after miniscule rain turned up nothing but mostly older rotting subs.

Another search showed up quite a few, but in fairly small patches, and again many older ones.

Well we gots to thinking, we thought too much rain might mean no frost is likely to form (too wet), we thought that frost is likely to serve to both provide some moisture to the ground, as well as chilling the ground to a temp even colder than air temp...both of which may aid in fruiting.

Is it likely that it was too wet for subs to fruit, and also is it possible that frost is a necessary component of sub fruiting?

We noticed that the more densely fruited areas were areas where frost was more likely to have formed (well drained slopes with sparser trees)...of course the other possibility is that someone else beat us there, filled their boot from the first spot and left :P

Just some thoughts, would love to hear the views of those with more experience.

Peace

yeah i'm not sure. i've also recently found old rotting subs in sydney-ish area & no fresh flush's.

well about 2-3 weeks ago in this area we were having nights that would get down to around 2-3 degrees C & i assume this is when the first flush's occurred of which we are now finding the rotting remains. the last week or 2 the temp has been pretty steady & relatively warm staying around the late teens & early 20 degree mark & scarcly going below around 15 degrees at night, even tho it's been nice & wet.

i'd assume that at the end of the week with the predicted cold change things will be looking up ;)

yeah it's also my observations that it does not necessarily need to rain but the temps down around 4 and less are extremely helpful as much dew forms and this is all they need to fruit...the rain maybe ok when it's just a light sprinkle but if you notice that when it rains it's also usually quite warmer due to the cloud cover...frosty cold dewy nights seem to work...just my obs of late is all.

H.

I'm no expert, but I think it is a combination of factors. First, I honestly think this season has been a little different to others in the past few years; certainly different to last year in the areas being discussed. The main difference I noticed is the frosts; they were (a few weeks ago) really pretty significant. You could hear the grass cracking and snapping under foot early in the morning, meaning that there was a lot of frozen moisture on the surface. These frosts came about without rain, the ground was often reasonably dry, especially anywhere the sun touched. But in slightly more shaded areas, as the moisture the frost locked away was released by the warmth of the day, that moisture was released into very specific areas at a nice slow, constant rate. Those shaded areas were still damp and moist at the end of the day, and that's exactly where the subs popped up in my experience. First flush.

The last couple weeks have brought decent rains, but IMO, the timing of that rain was not so good for mushies. Too early for a second flush; you can tell by all the older rotting subs still hanging around, their demise quickend by over saturation. Those hangers on were really the last of the first flush popping up where they could, now the mycelium needs to recover a little. As Hunab mentioned, you can feel the humidity in the air those nights/mornings it has rained heavily of late, no cool crisp air going on at all...

Last year the subs pretty much came with the first downpour, which happened (from memory) less than a week after the temperature dropped (remember it just kinda came from nowhere?) and before the frosts really started. Subsequent flushes more or less followed decent rainfall a few weeks later, not just for subs, but most species from what I saw. Going out a day or two after rain last year you were hard pressed not to see some mushroom you hadn't spotted before... this year it's not the same story.

Subs second flush will be interesting... could go either way I think.

So when would be a good time to go out and hunt again? I was planning on going this Saturday.. :scratchhead:

It don't really matter what the day is as long as the conditions are right and it's a known spot that produces fruits...maybe hitch down to help PD load his ute up with some ...he seems to have lots of work in that area at the moment LOL... :P

Yeah I'm sure there's still some around, it's not like they've vanished or anything (although taking Hunabs haul into account you could define that as vanishing I suppose...)

Worth a look on Saturday if you've planned to, I'm sure you'll find a few. If you do head out, can you gimme a shout if Lactarius are still popping up please?

I was out in the rain on my trail bike on saturday and Poo and Hunab your both right

1st flush has all but gone and no pins that i saw although luck was with me and where we

were unloading our bikes i found a new patch,all very small and pins were present too.

This was in the mountains though not Syd,never had much luck.The funny thing about the new patch i found is

we have been camping in the exact same spot for at least 10 years and there hasnt ever been

a sub in sight.. we bought a chainsaw and began chopping wood for warmth in the winter 2 years ago and

the new patch is on the saw dust :lol: gotta love em. It seems im finding more all the time!

Lactarius are still around unless they disappear this week, couldn't take a step without kicking one out there last weekend.

My bacon bean lactarius and parmesean risotto is dinner for the week :D mmm

Yeah I'm sure there's still some around, it's not like they've vanished or anything (although taking Hunabs haul into account you could define that as vanishing I suppose...)

Worth a look on Saturday if you've planned to, I'm sure you'll find a few. If you do head out, can you gimme a shout if Lactarius are still popping up please?

errrr I moved on and found other patches...I've spent a heap of time surveying that area and driven many miles around that area looking for suitable paddocks....you wouldn't believe how many more places out there, there is good places...I haven't gone back to any of the old spots I keep driving to new ones...you have to give those initial places a rest for a while...break out the maps and take any of the hundreds of tracks into that forest and you will be rewarded...ya gotta make the effort or ya end up with zip....ask Holy Mountain we spent flippin hours tracking though new roads smashing the crap outta my car looking for new places....think about it...there are thousands and thousands of hectares out there.

H.

^ No I genuinely think you have single handedly destroyed all growth of mushrooms in the mountains by taking them all for yourself.

Of course I might have just been fuckin with you... :wink:

^ No I genuinely think you have single handedly destroyed all growth of mushrooms in the mountains by taking them all for yourself.

Of course I might have just been fuckin with you... :wink:

you're more than welcome to come around and inspect my collection under one condition...you must consume 29.5 gms of dried fruits and stay sane for approx a week there after....that's my way of fucking with you big guy... :lol:

H.

Well I must say it it's a very generous offer... :o

Hi fellow hunters, been a while since I visited this site and Im scratching my head as to why considering the threads here.

I too am hunting for Subs and spent the last Sunday doing just that through the Mountain areas not far from Sydney.

Mostly A.muscari that had rotted followed by Galleria and other coral like looking stuff.

Can I ask a few questions from the learned out there?

Q.Do Sub's grow in pine plantations with cool temps zones, or just euc forest/mulch beds?

Q.Between May-june(end of) this is the only time Sub's are generally present?

Q.Are there any sketchy bluing look alikes of Sub's to be mindfull of that we know of?

Q.Is it difficult to obtain enough of a haul so that your mates have enough specimens to conduct thorough mycology examinations and experiments?

Much respect and thanks, and happy hunting to all.

Can I ask a few questions from the learned out there?

Q.Do Sub's grow in pine plantations with cool temps zones, or just euc forest/mulch beds?

Q.Between May-june(end of) this is the only time Sub's are generally present?

Q.Are there any sketchy bluing look alikes of Sub's to be mindfull of that we know of?

Q.Is it difficult to obtain enough of a haul so that your mates have enough specimens to conduct thorough mycology examinations and experiments?

1. Yes they can be found in pine.

2. No, it can extend a bit beyond that time frame. More later than earlier.

3. That go blue? Not that I'm aware of. There are species of Cortinarius that are all blue, avoid these.

4. Nope, if you find a good spot shouldn't be too difficult at all. Just don't get too greedy ;)

The above applies for Vic anyway, not sure about NSW.

1. Yes they can be found in pine.

2. No, it can extend a bit beyond that time frame. More later than earlier.

3. That go blue? Not that I'm aware of. There are species of Cortinarius that are all blue, avoid these.

4. Nope, if you find a good spot shouldn't be too difficult at all. Just don't get too greedy ;)

The above applies for Vic anyway, not sure about NSW.

Much appreciation, its with great almost child like excitement that I look forward to these hunts!!!

Cortinarius are blue without being touched, yes?

Thanks many, I look forward to finds and also reading of yours and others success.

Hey, do you have any recomendations for drying methods? Desicant and paper bags?

I attempted to dry some Amaniti muscari but they went moldy.

Much appreciation, its with great almost child like excitement that I look forward to these hunts!!!

Cortinarius are blue without being touched, yes?

Thanks many, I look forward to finds and also reading of yours and others success.

No worries.

Here's an example of a blue/purple Cort:

Cortinarius-heliotropicus-mushroom.jpg

Pretty obviously not Psilocybe spp but some people just see blue/purple and think it's good.

Hey, do you have any recomendations for drying methods? Desicant and paper bags?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...hlite=%2Bdry%2A

Just do it (however you do it) as quickly as possible. Keep them away from heat; oven is no good for example, but a fan forced oven at very low temp (like very low, less than 50 deg for example) with the door open a crack works... or just a fan on the floor, put them near an air conditioning unit... lots of options, but make sure they're totally dry, then into a bag with desiccant in the freezer. Obviously a food dehydrator is a preferred (though more expensive) option.

Just do it (however you do it) as quickly as possible. Keep them away from heat; oven is no good for example, but a fan forced oven at very low temp (like very low, less than 50 deg for example) with the door open a crack works... or just a fan on the floor, put them near an air conditioning unit... lots of options, but make sure they're totally dry, then into a bag with desiccant in the freezer. Obviously a food dehydrator is a preferred (though more expensive) option.

Chemical drying works well ( just get one of those moisture absorbers you put in damp rooms Hippo something or something hippo i think its called ) I have heard .

just make sure the chemicals don't come in contact with the shrooms this avoids heat altogether which is great for most shrooms I don't have a great deal of experience with fly agaric but i was always under the impression ovens a good thing for them as they need heat treatment to convert ibotenic acid to muscimol

newspaper spread out on the floor...simple...takes about 3 days then bag em up.

H.

...I don't have a great deal of experience with fly agaric but i was always under the impression ovens a good thing for them as they need heat treatment to convert ibotenic acid to muscimol

Oh shit sorry, I'm so used to seeing people asking about Subs I kinda missed the Fly Agaric part of your question. Drying is fine anyway you do it, but in the case of Fly Agaric as neoshaman pointed out you do have to treat with heat somehow anyway for the conversion to happen. I'm not sure what sort of temperature is required for the ibotenic acid to muscimol conversion... worth checking to ensure the conversion happens!

Oh shit sorry, I'm so used to seeing people asking about Subs I kinda missed the Fly Agaric part of your question. Drying is fine anyway you do it, but in the case of Fly Agaric as neoshaman pointed out you do have to treat with heat somehow anyway for the conversion to happen. I'm not sure what sort of temperature is required for the ibotenic acid to muscimol conversion... worth checking to ensure the conversion happens!

Thanks to all. Yeah Poo, Ill have to check again Im a little hazy with the ibotenic acid conversion bit...