The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
complex

Should I Smoke Dope?

It's Britain's most open secret. Even though it's illegal, over 15 million people have tried it - including a third of all British teenagers and, by their own admission, a select group of Government ministers. But in the press there are more and more scare stories about the effects of the drug, and there's growing debate about whether cannabis should be reclassified as a class B drug.

In Should I Smoke Dope? Nicky Taylor, immersive journalist and single mum, embarks on a fact-finding mission to discover more about cannabis. Her journey mimics most people's first foray into cannabis culture - and is both funny and sometimes frightening.

In order to separate the science from the fiction, Nicky takes a trip to Amsterdam where she helps out in a coffee shop selling cannabis, and discovers firsthand what the effects of cannabis are on everyday life.

Back in the UK, Nicky finds out about the genetically modified cannabis skunk, which is cheap and increasingly sold on the streets. Nicky takes part in a groundbreaking medical trial to find out whether the drug can make you mad; is it worse than alcohol; and stronger than it used to be? Her month long experience is both disturbing and revealing.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200905...2009T213000.htm

--

Could be interesting.

I seen the ad for this yesterday, I wonderin if its the one where she gets injected with THC?

It Looks pretty good none the less.

Sounds interesting.

"genetically modified cannabis skunk"?? Since when was skunk GM'ed? Isnt it just a term used for hydroponic-grown, indica-heavy strains?

Usually these British based Doco's/studies are pretty hardcore so I expect it be a pretty rewarding bit of screening...IMO..weed is great the first 6 times you smoke it...after that it loses its magic.

I'll be watching as I have a real regard for the way the Brits get down and dirty and tell it like it is....maybe not relative to Australian conditions though, but non the less educational.

H.

I've seen this documentary before and while it isn't horrible it can be pretty biased at times. The chick in it smokes some really strong weed and gets all paranoid and well yeah. I don't remember it exactly but she was saying how weed these days is really strong and can cause schizophrenia easily. She goes to Amsterdam and chills out with some joints lol. It's a silly documentary IMO but worth watching once.

I've seen this documentary before and while it isn't horrible it can be pretty biased at times. The chick in it smokes some really strong weed and gets all paranoid and well yeah. I don't remember it exactly but she was saying how weed these days is really strong and can cause schizophrenia easily. She goes to Amsterdam and chills out with some joints lol. It's a silly documentary IMO but worth watching once.

And here I was looking forward to an unbiased well researched doco seems I give the media too much credit I thinks this be one for the VCR that way if its really that crappy I won't waste an hour of my life

I downloaded this doco from some torrent site aaages ago.

I downloaded this doco from some torrent site aaages ago.

Yeah that's how I downloaded it.

What did you personally think of it?

Usually these British based Doco's/studies are pretty hardcore so I expect it be a pretty rewarding bit of screening...IMO..weed is great the first 6 times you smoke it...after that it loses its magic.

I'll be watching as I have a real regard for the way the Brits get down and dirty and tell it like it is....maybe not relative to Australian conditions though, but non the less educational.

H.

Weed got better and better after the first 6 times i did it!!

I rate weed ( good stuff) quite highly, Euphoria, body load and enjoyment almost on par with mescaline.

I'm doubting that this documentary will uncover anything new. ( some stuff we havent all found out first hand )

Who knew selective breeding is GM! The media has latched onto "skunk" as the word for modern super-dope! FEAR the SKUNK, SMELL THE SKUNK!!!

All time fave mj doco is "Grass"! cant beat it!

b

Edited by botanicalSEEKER

i want some of those injections

was intresting but didnt agree with some of the stuff said in it.

good to see all those buds though

:)

Thought it was a little crappy to be honest...particularly for a brit doco...it didn't really say anything new on the topic...I've been to that exact coffee house and remember the atmosphere...was weird to see that ...thats for sure...did you notice how much more she enjoyed the hash...same as me hash has always been a nicer smoke for me in the past...it's been about 10 years since I've smoked some but I still would prefer it over some wacky hybrid skunk.

H.

Yeah that's how I downloaded it.

What did you personally think of it?

It was quite funny, don't watch it for weed tips. Watch it to laugh at the host.

Given a joint and asked to take 2 puffs then put it down... something like 16 puffs later she's "oh i don't feel anything" ROFLMFAO!!! Yeah right watch what happens next.

hilarious!

Half way through this doc and all i can say is it is very negative biased.

although the granny chocolates look great, yum : )

yeah it wasnt pro pot, when she interview the people on the street could she pick anyone more stupid. fuck surely there was someone on the street that was intelligent. but they chose to put those dimwits in, to give the idea that people who smoke dope are not articulate with words.

tiny glass beads purposely put onto pot, who can be bothered doing that. bullshit

that granny and her cakes and choccies look fantastic, she was the best that old lady. all up it was a pretty shit doco, but it was interesting none the less and had a bit of a laugh in it.

Edited by VelvetSiren

...not articulate with words.

Oh the irony... As opposed to one who is articulate... with... :rolleyes:

i never said i was articulate

I rate weed ( good stuff) quite highly, Euphoria, body load and enjoyment almost on par with mescaline.

Damn you have shitty mescaline.

:lol:

"he's so serious"

hahaha

Damn you are naive about plants teotz...

Saw the doco this arvo, didn't want to give it the ratings by watching it lol but someone in the house taped it anyway.

I find it interesting how we classify hard and soft drugs, i'd like to see her shoot up nicotine...

She was very immature IMO; found it funny that the health risks of cannabis put her off yet she didn't mind necking a bottle of wine with smokes. Fairly frustrating listening to apparent knowledge from the distributors in tolerant countries too.

Besides one of the main researchers, I think the one intelligent person on the program was one of the youth where she went back to his house, it's depressing to see such potential for a human negated by their environment and point in time they are brought into the world; I found his parents approach refreshing regarding they'd rather know where he is and what he was doing than him getting up to things on the streets even if it was a can of worms with many issues associated.

Entertaining at times, but in the pile with all the other junk substance docos, wasn't hard to see coming though :wub:

Edited by gerbil

and dont forget the token 15 second addition of early century classic 'reefer madness' what pot doco would be complete without a fleeting reference.

Thought it was a little crappy to be honest...particularly for a brit doco...it didn't really say anything new on the topic...I've been to that exact coffee house and remember the atmosphere...was weird to see that ...thats for sure...did you notice how much more she enjoyed the hash...same as me hash has always been a nicer smoke for me in the past...it's been about 10 years since I've smoked some but I still would prefer it over some wacky hybrid skunk.

H.

this is part of my arguments about cannabis usage.....the people who initially bred these indica types knew not to smoke the plant parts......they were bred for hash making and eating/drinking..... cultural context and the effects of illegality!

t s t .

this is part of my arguments about cannabis usage.....the people who initially bred these indica types knew not to smoke the plant parts......they were bred for hash making and eating/drinking..... cultural context and the effects of illegality!

t s t .

Persoanlly if it was legal I would only eat it the vast majority of the time and only vapourise oils for meditations etc. I think that smoking of such forms of cannabis are a direcct result of ridiculous and unjustified laws and lack of education and information being made available , so basically the arrogant pieces of shit that make our laws are a very big reason why cannabis use is far more dangerous then it needs to be

Yes it does suck that I cannot get some hash and smoke it from time to time to relax me and help with sleep and anxiety.... :angry:

H.

t s t .

I'm interested in these cultural methods of ingesting cannabis. What cultures did so and how and what was prepared?

Are there any links you can give me about this? Books?

Thanks

And yeah, saw the doco too. I wish there was a good quality doco out that laid down the facts without negative bias...

Cali has got some supporters, but Australia seems to be going the other way...THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE!