The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheDudeAbides

Hunting Tips

Question

Hey everyone i have had a keen interest in mycology for a year now and been hunting for the past 4 months on pretty much anything and everything i can find. Now for more specific hunting, i am now hunting for subs like most of you. I would appreciate any tips not so much for identfication, but more areas in which i should be looking out for and time of day to go etc.

Edited by mike_w598

6 answers to this question

Nice spoons!..Mike, those shots of habitat really helped my cause.I was certain i had come across

every mushy but the sub then viola. They say they find you when your ready,i tend to agree

things I have noticed about sub teritory...they will not grow generally on rocky or hard ground..that includes clay soil...they love to grow out of soft spongy underfoot grass and around fallen trees and logs...you won't find them in gully's or close to the water like streams or rivers etc....they particularly like to be found across the top to middle sides of slopes and hills...I think that has something to do with direction spreading spores back up behind the mushroom particularly when most winds in winter are from the south....they like to grow around fallen trees and I have seen massive amounts along old fallen trees where there is some grass...they only like to pop up in soil that is extremely rich in debris...what I'm saying is if you dig your hand right down into the soil very easily you are close to being in the right environment...if you cant even get the tips of your fingers into the soil then don't even bother looking....when you see one sub stand still and look closely around it because there can often be half a dozen more right around that one and sometimes right under your feet.

They won't tend to grow out of pines needles and deep in pine forests but can and will grow in grassy patches and clearings in pine forests...they love to grow around bracken fern and blackberry and knee high grass...sometimes they are inside the grass tufts and you have to look inside the grass to see them...I've found heaps by moving some tufts of grass and bingo 6-7 just hiding under the grass....I don't know if animal poo has any symbiotic relationship with subs but if you see lots of wombat and kangaroo poo around, you might find subs close by but never growing out of it....they can grow in clumps but it's unusual to see more than say 30 in a patch and they don't clump in the true sense of the word...there can 50 shrooms all in one small area but all standing singular...sometimes you find twins that join at the one stalk too. It is now also purely my own observation that rain is not necessary for subs to fruit...I believe that as long as it gets cold enough and there is heavy dew and frosts it is enough moisture to encourage fruiting...have seen them fruiting with no rain leading up to the hunt for 2 weeks...

If you pick them and are wanting to start a patch at home pull the mushroom right up from its roots...when you return to sort you collection cut the stub off the end and insert it in between 2 pieces of wet cardboard and store somewhere cold and dark and wet...the butts with that little bit of myc will run all over the cardboard and you can then move that to a bigger sheet of cardboard then onto a burlap sack then into a styro box or your garden beds for layering with woodchips...be patient and keep moist and keep adding chips and some more myc as you find it...eventually they should fruit and you can go again with the stubs off the ones you grew and picked...no sterility is needed what so ever.

hope this helps some what...oh and obviously they can and will grow directly out of woodchip beds in gardens and in parks and on the edge of train lines where there is scrub and wood debris...I'm fascinated by this particular mushroom and am learning so much about it and it's habitat lately...a real wonderful fruit with unlimited potential.

hope this helped somewhat.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

things I have noticed about sub teritory...they will not grow generally on rocky or hard ground..that includes clay soil...they love to grow out of soft spongy underfoot grass and around fallen trees and logs...you won't find them in gully's or close to the water like streams or rivers etc....they particularly like to be found across the top to middle sides of slopes and hills...I think that has something to do with direction spreading spores back up behind the mushroom particularly when most winds in winter are from the south....they like to grow around fallen trees and I have seen massive amounts along old fallen trees where there is some grass...they only like to pop up in soil that is extremely rich in debris...what I'm saying is if you dig your hand right down into the soil very easily you are close to being in the right environment...if you cant even get the tips of your fingers into the soil then don't even bother looking....when you see one sub stand still and look closely around it because there can often be half a dozen more right around that one and sometimes right under your feet.

They won't tend to grow out of pines needles and deep in pine forests but can and will grow in grassy patches and clearings in pine forests...they love to grow around bracken fern and blackberry and knee high grass...sometimes they are inside the grass tufts and you have to look inside the grass to see them...I've found heaps by moving some tufts of grass and bingo 6-7 just hiding under the grass....I don't know if animal poo has any symbiotic relationship with subs but if you see lots of wombat and kangaroo poo around, you might find subs close by but never growing out of it....they can grow in clumps but it's unusual to see more than say 30 in a patch and they don't clump in the true sense of the word...there can 50 shrooms all in one small area but all standing singular...sometimes you find twins that join at the one stalk too. It is now also purely my own observation that rain is not necessary for subs to fruit...I believe that as long as it gets cold enough and there is heavy dew and frosts it is enough moisture to encourage fruiting...have seen them fruiting with no rain leading up to the hunt for 2 weeks...

If you pick them and are wanting to start a patch at home pull the mushroom right up from its roots...when you return to sort you collection cut the stub off the end and insert it in between 2 pieces of wet cardboard and store somewhere cold and dark and wet...the butts with that little bit of myc will run all over the cardboard and you can then move that to a bigger sheet of cardboard then onto a burlap sack then into a styro box or your garden beds for layering with woodchips...be patient and keep moist and keep adding chips and some more myc as you find it...eventually they should fruit and you can go again with the stubs off the ones you grew and picked...no sterility is needed what so ever.

hope this helps some what...oh and obviously they can and will grow directly out of woodchip beds in gardens and in parks and on the edge of train lines where there is scrub and wood debris...I'm fascinated by this particular mushroom and am learning so much about it and it's habitat lately...a real wonderful fruit with unlimited potential.

hope this helped somewhat.

H.

Awesome post.. Thanks H.

IMG_2391.jpg

thems there rocks and in a gully by a river ;)

certainly not uncommon to find mycelia running up rocks if they are favourably covered...

debris and water run off will make for patches deep in gullys.

IME defiantly are gregarious compared with other shreems (rarely would you see any other shreems as 'clumped' as subs)

basically worth looking anywhere with decaying cellulose namely of native origin (Eucas.) and decently moist ground...

yet would love to see subs near train lines..?

Edited by Conan Troutman