The Corroboree
hebrew

unveiling norma

Rosei can look very different due to growing conditions. I have a few peices here that I got off an old plant that are yellow lots of sun. The rosei I have that is grown in shade is more blue. I have one with short spines and one with large spines. I will have to take a pic to show the difference. Either way if it is Rosei or not it is an awesome looking cactus. Was norma grown in part shade?

I'd like a cutting shipped to the US if possible.

ahh good to hear some of the cuttings made it ok, i had a hell of a time with the rot but i too have a few cuts that seem to be doing ok, i was just looking at them before coming in here and thought when they put out pups i will offer them here to get it out as much as possible as is a nice plant, big chunky thick hard spines.

to my limited experience it is a rosei, however it is slightly different to the cuts of rosei i have as well, it guess it is some kind of peruvians. norma was the lady who grew the cactus.

i dont think it had full shade this plant from memory it was growing near a farm shed, facing north direction. was very large taller than the roof of the shed. was very sad to see rot get to a lot of it.

A couple of old victorian cacti farm owners suggested Yowie to be T. pallarensis so im going purely on what they relayed to me, I've never seen any photos of pallarensis actually

After further investigation with the person I got my 'T. pallarensis' from, I've come to find out my plants in question are most likely not it. Sorry for the confusion to mu., VS and anyone else.

to my limited experience it is a rosei, however it is slightly different to the cuts of rosei i have as well, it guess it is some kind of peruvians. .

IMO It's a rosei#2, keep in mind there are 2 distinctive variations of this clone plus variations due to growing environment, the cut I traded with you VS rosei#1 grows fatter with shorter spineation compared to rosei#2 that has those tough thick spines

yeah cool, that plant i got form you is doing well, look forward to it growing larger and seeing it compared to the norma

I lost most of my lot to the rot. :( the only surviving part was the tip cut and section cut from that. It is finally starting to put out some roots now..

Bit sad to see so much of the cactus go to waste. But I guess thats life.

i know man very sad.

such a beauty of a cactus and to see it go to rot is heartbreaking

have you tried guttin out the rotted parts and applying some kind of alcohol? metho, vodka..

man you cnat gut out the rotten stuff it all rotten whole logs just went to yellow moosh. but there are a few cuts that have survived so i think in future she will be out there good and strong. to me norma looks exactly like rosei, a friend came over with some old rosei cuts and they looks identical to norma i reckon,

Edited by VelvetSiren

Got two healthy as here, chucked em straight in the ground in mid winter, rooted and growing fine

That's hilarious naja. I find it funny that the only person who didn't have any of their cuttings rot, is the only one who didn't take preventative measures.

Although you are the only one from WA who got some.

So....... has anyone taken old Norma out for a spin?

naja i didnt send you any norma did i?

glad you got them growing well though, good work

be interested if anyone gave her a go.

bumping this thread.

So my Norma's are going well, the two that survived anyway. I'm just wondering:

a.) how everyone else in the group who got some went with them, and...

b.) if there was ever an alk test or roadtest taken by anyone and if so what the results were?

here are pics of mine:

post-3725-126343474423_thumb.jpg

Tip cutting with new growth at top

post-3725-126343479604_thumb.jpg

Tip summer growth

post-3725-126343482251_thumb.jpg

Cut from tip section which didn't rot and has rooted

post-3725-126343485402_thumb.jpg

ahhh and finally a pup about to bust out

anyhow... pics and responses from other norma lovers out there welcomed

peace

heavy scarring from transit... wonder if thats what made most rot?

heres some photos of my cuts if norma, just starting to get settled now.

this is the base of the plant, i have just left it laying there on the ground, little pup springing forth

IMG_3279.jpg

tip starting to put out new growth roots starting to form

IMG_3277.jpg

and this cut had a bad case of the rot but somehow it just stopped rotting, i didnt do anything to make that happen, but it stopped so pretty happy to see it putting out a pup

IMG_3278.jpg

Edited by VelvetSiren

Nice bit of tip growth there meanies. This plant is awfully slow when starting off from cuttings...I'd like to suggest that it was not a happy plant where it was, as in the soil conditions etc, and these cuts are all now just swinging back into a state of enjoyment and normality probably taking a while to recover from heavy shock and adjusting to new soil conditions/nutrients into the cell walls.

I noticed my two cuts basically fattened up quickly...which means the roots came out and got to work quickly, sucked up any moisture and nutrients into the plants system, then has said whoa, "what the fuck", sat and thought about it for 3-4 months whilst changing skin colour, still fattening up like a dough boy but refusing to show any real vigorous tip growth...but as I see meanies one is finally puttin out,.. then we can all prolly expect some late summer growth and bright green tips well into autumn, which will be good cause the fuckers won't etoiliate then, not like Yowie the weirdo..who just wants to grow all year and look like a baseball bat or egg timer...wacko.gif

quote name='VelvetSiren' date='29 October 2009 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1256760510' post='235333']

man you cnat gut out the rotten stuff it all rotten whole logs just went to yellow moosh. but there are a few cuts that have survived so i think in future she will be out there good and strong. to me norma looks exactly like rosei, a friend came over with some old rosei cuts and they looks identical to norma i reckon,

if you monitor the moon cycle you might have more luck also if your quick enough you could nip the rot in the bud but using a chainsaw would definately be rough for the plant and i can see why it would go to rot combined with possible wrong moon cylce timiing

I managed to go the whole day without getting spiked, until we were unloading the old lady and copped one through 2 layers of clothing into the knee-cap.

Pulled it out unbroken pretty quickly and thought nothing of it.

About 10PM last night the muscle on my knee-cap began to hurt when I moved it, and still does! Feels like I had accupuncture to my knee or something.

Was a great day, had lots of fun.

Big ups to Norma!

lol norma fights back !!!

i take this as a balance thing "taking and giving" im always getting spiked by cacti cuts but feel its some form of comunication between us if its a bad enough wound it has even more significance to me

alkaloid test yet?? be sure to test the diff between old growth and tip cuts iv found some amazing stuff in oldgrowth

if you monitor the moon cycle you might have more luck also if your quick enough you could nip the rot in the bud but using a chainsaw would definately be rough for the plant and i can see why it would go to rot combined with possible wrong moon cylce timiing

just my opinion but i would have kept the cactus in larger pieces and had a few nice massive plants ,but i guess lots are going to be posted cuttings so??

great find though i love trying to re-propagate old cacti its like a seniour member of society to be respected greatly

all the breast ...i mean best to ya !!!

Edited by stiched up

Very slow to get going but should really put out next year..... :)

8441155.jpg8441177.jpg8441153.jpg

wasn't the mother harvested in winter, and only the last 3 weeks to a month has the actual growing season for cacti started?

That would explain the slow rebound perhaps? Dormancy.

Very nice Trichocereus "True Blue" peruvianus!

All "True Blues" seem slow to start!

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

wasn't the mother harvested in winter, and only the last 3 weeks to a month has the actual growing season for cacti started?

That would explain the slow rebound perhaps? Dormancy.

The growing season started September from what I have noted, this year in particular plants where putting out new growth all through September, particularly the pach and bridgesii...have noted 6-12 inches of growth on some cactus and the cactus from seed planted on 30th June is already between 1-3inches tall..

note all this seasons growth already and we still have around 4 months to go...

post-4860-126379998995_thumb.jpg

post-4860-126380002483_thumb.jpg

post-4860-126380008571_thumb.jpg

post-4860-126380012897_thumb.jpg

post-4860-126380016916_thumb.jpg

post-4860-126380025194_thumb.jpg

there's about 5-6inches of new growth just on this one peruvian so far this year so can expect another 6 inches by the time winter comes... :)

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

jeeze you got some cacti chiral!

Ok 4 months, how long ago was norma taken down?