The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
home food grower

What chances does the mycelium have if another bacteria evolves nearby?

If you are growing in a jar, and mold takes form inside, what are the chances of the mycelium winning and destroying the mold? Would you guys just throw away that jar or would you wait it out and see what happens?

If you are growing in a jar, and mold takes form inside, what are the chances of the mycelium winning and destroying the mold? Would you guys just throw away that jar or would you wait it out and see what happens?

Chuck it away mate, it won't win.

Keep trying :)

I disagree (partially), it depends on the bacteria and the fungus in competition and in this case if it's mold it's a fungus vs fungus battle.

Yes in cases the desired fungi can outcompete, lots of variables at play particularly the species' in question, the vigor of both and the infestation of both.

It's generally not good practice to keep infected cultures around, but really it depends on what you are doing and where you are going with it all. If you do decide to hang onto it and the mold takes over, it's a good idea to PC it then turf it so you're not inhaling mass spore. It would also be a good idea to incubate it away from where you are active. i.e. if you incubate in your bedroom, it's probably best to get it out of there.

Personally I turf at the first sign of contamination which generally avoids the need to PC as it's not particularly advanced and sporulating all over the shop, but again it all depends on what you want to achieve, where you are going with it and what you have available to you. I.e. it is potentially good to let the desired fungus overtake and keep that cell line as it could adapt to being able to outcompete the specific mold much better in the long run, that is hypothetical.

but back to butch i agree, keep trying, and get your culture skills clean.

thanks for the responses guys.

Gerbil thanks for the information. That is encouraging to know. I guess I'm interested in developing the mushrooms ability to fight molds and bacterias.

thanks for the health cautions. so wait till the myc is about to die and take a little sample and place it in another fruiting jar? a jar that starts with another myc has far greater chances of developing before a mold i'm assuming... also is there at all a spray or liquid that can also be added to kill a mold and not make it toxic so the myc can eat that matter?

well h2o2 can be used to kill spores, without killing mycelium, it does however slow the mycelium down because the myc is forced to destroy the h2o2 which takes time and energy.

Nah i moreso meant to potentially continue the lineage of the genes that succeed, i.e. an infected jar is defeated by the dominant wanted fungi, expand that, fruit it and clone the fruits to agar or further work with the spore from the fruit.

I'd highly recommend getting Paul Stamets' series of books if you want to seriously get into mush culture.

if one were to have a contaminated green mold cake that produced a fruit.. what would be the dangers in consuming that fruit??? (hypotheticaly)

Recently I saw a small patch of trich through on the side of a tub of substrate that was colonising and wondered if it would win, because I know this myc and I know it's extremely tough and fast ....guess what, it took over and the little patch of trich has gone...it was extremely interesting to see that happen...the tub went onto to fruit although I must add the fruits where few and very large and only one flush was observed...it seemed to stall after that and is now in isolation quarantine to see what happens....when it happens in a jar if it's early mould then forget it...if its a tiny amount right at the end and the rest of the jar is like 90% colonised you dig around it carefully and still use the good spawn but be careful ...when you bump trich or any of these other nasty contaminates they shoot out millions of spores into the atmosphere so go do it outside and down the back of the yard or even better inside of a clear plastic bag so they can't escape.

but generally people chuck out the whole jar or I know someone who use's the contents in his/her garden rather than throw anything out...she even starts styrofoam boxes of vermiculite and poo and soil outside and dumps contaminated jars and trays into these boxes and the garden and lets nature take over...you would be very surprised what goes on I tell you.

H.

if one were to have a contaminated green mold cake that produced a fruit.. what would be the dangers in consuming that fruit??? (hypotheticaly)

if the fruit has come off an area of the cake that is not contaminated then I would say its okay but I wouldn't bother....if it's fruiting near or around the contaminate then forget it, its not worth getting sick over....break open the cake and use the good clean myc to start a grain bag or another jar or simply bury it in the garden and wait for next season and it might fruit...a good way is to bury old cakes and trays and substrates in the ground and cover with nice soil and then sprinkle grass seeds over that area particularly with cubes...some people use the left over wild bird seed and it creates a nice little grassy micro climate over where the myc is buried and gives it half a chance.

H.