The Corroboree
Freaky Chicken

Free Waddi tree seeds (Acacia peuce)

Hi Everyone,

I have just been out in western Queensland studying the endangered Acacia species Acacia puece.

This is an amazing tree that is restricted to only three sites in Australia (2 in Qld and 1 in NT).

It is famous for its extremely hard wood and used to be used at fencing posts as it lasts forever.

It is a bit of a mystery as to why it is so rare as it is a very hardy tree living very close to the desert.

I have collected some seeds and they are very viable with about a 60-80% germination rate.

If anyone would like one of these very rare trees in there collection please pm me and I'll post you some seeds.

The trees live for about 150yrs in there natural setting and are slow growing.

P.s The trees are producing large numbers of seeds so by removing these seeds from the system it is not a threat to there survival. (which is part of the mystery)post-454-1240478273_thumb.jpg

post-454-1240478273_thumb.jpg

post-454-1240478273_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

very interesting when you put it that way. tell us more.

edit: why does it look like a casuarina or she-oak?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

It is a species of Acacia similar to the ones seen in Africa today.

It is thought to have had its seeds spread by mega fauna and due to there being no large animals in Australia anymore it is unable to spread beyond its current limited range.

Plants grown from seeds from this area have germinated really well and show a range of different foliage types starting with the typical pinate leaf types seen in many Acacias then changing to flat strap like phyllodes (another typical Acacia leaf type but not really leaves(Phyllodes are modified petioles)), As the plant gets bigger it starts to show defence mechanisms that are thought to be defence against mega fauna. Once the tree gets above the grazing height the phyllodes on the upper branches change to long thin druping phyllodes that from a distance make the tree look like a Cassurina sp.

Plants in the field have been seen to develope a wide range of forms.

An amazing plant with many unanswered questions that need answering.

It is very hardy and looks very interesting.

The tree in the picture above is in the last growth stage.

Yes please would love some! Pm'd

Edited by Nailthesnail

You guys notice this is nearly 5 years old???

• Like 2

hahahahahahahaha fuck didn't check date holy fuck

That was a good laugh

Edited by Nailthesnail

I'll see if I can track down some seeds.

These seeds need to be planted straight into the ground where the tree is wanted. They have amazing deep roots to get to the water table quickly(seedlings can have roots 2m long when the plant is very small).

Very slow growing in native range but has to deal with very harse conditions.

• Like 2

That would be so great if you could get more seed would definitely be interested :)

• Like 1

lol I also went to Boulia to study the waddi tree. I have a few seedlings from seed collected last year. If I can find the ones I have left ill put some up here =] Very interesting tree, and the wood is incredible - sinks like a rock and the pieces in my fish tank are still leaching tannins after nearly a year and going thru the dishwasher twice! Nice colour too. Also they randomly get flushes of soft reddish coloured foliage (also a mystery as to why) and the green leaves are more flammable than dried ones, which is odd in a fire dominated ecosystem like where they come from. I could write a report on this species (oh wait- i did :P ).

• Like 3