The Corroboree
sethomopod

Scale on Cactus

I would risk to say it doesnt look like scale, it might be stings from other cacti spines or black rot or what??? I really wanna know what this is :)

Well the things I have are not scale it turns out - but now I have sprayed them with White Oil (about 10 days ago), and the one of them looks a bit unhappy about it...

Anyone know how to remove the white oil from the sprayed cactus? Does it eventually wear off or something? The cacti are a different color now, very green, no glaucation..

I was thinking of mixing some straight detergent water, spraying it with that to surfactantify the oil, then spray it off real good with a hose...

Hey nitrogen

soapy water should do the job. lux or baby soap would be best IMO

you could cover the pot /soil with a plastic bag if you dont want any of the soapy water getting into the soil or over watering when rinsing off the soap

Edited by mac

Hey all! Well, even though I decided to go the natural route, I still have scale coming back. I've scrubbed several times and they just keep coming back!!! I don't see any ants in symbiosis either! Maybe the oil treatment is my only solution!!

Reviving this thread for some new insights from the community in regards to scale.... I finally found it what it was, had heard it talked of in a few threads, but unfortunately, now i know....

So, i'm trying pyrethrum spray first... Has anyone had success with this? 

• Like 1

a few questions....

so, if you spray with something like white oil or pyrethrum to kill the scale, do you first scrape it off, or do you spray on affected areas and wait? If you wait, does the scale then come off by itself, or do you need to remove it somehow? Is there permanent scarring?

• Like 1

never had scale on cacti before but have had it in the rainforest box.... 

one thing might be of use... are there ants tending the scale? - maybe eradicating them would help ..

I believe scale are some kind of aphid... 

i used to burn them off my gramps grapevine with a lighter but wouldn't go burning them off cacti , unless maybe with an incense stick if they'd really pissed me off cuz the burning would probably scar them poor cacties...

i don't know if it works for scale (probably will, since it seems to work on every other pest i encountered), and that's yellow sulphur from the garden centre with alcohol handwash gel ....

apply some of that to the little barsteds maybe? - defo won't harm the cacties ..

i don't get on with pyrethrum it doesnt seem to be effective against uk pests at all.. , good luck!

hope it helps/works... 

• Like 1

TH> scales are not tended by ant IME

hehehe a thread on cactus scale is always relevant.. I have an infected thelocactus - will try the while oil. 

my myrti breast get it, its a routine for me periodically cleaning them but cacti surface dont scar that fast. 

I usually wash with pressure water .. 

would be propably best first to mechanically take off with water, to take the most off, then another time

and after skin dries the while oil.. 

I suppose the scales die once you take them off the cactus skin.. I dont hink they can climb back up... 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input... I've got a few preliminary findings... It appears that spraying the affected areas with the aforementioned spray kills the scale. Also, when i have then gone to pick of the marks, it doesn't leave a wound into the cactus where they were feeding... i.e. when i pick it, it is untouched cactus skin below, before it left a fresh little wound where they feeding from.... Its looking good so far.... I'll report back....  

• Like 2

white oil will strip any glaukus/blue sheen straight off. back to green. its good shit, just thought id mention the de sheening thing.

• Like 3

de pot, clean the roots so you have access to all areas around the base, tooth brush and a warm water rinse is my tactic. works well.

let it dry and pot up in dry soil and keep dry for a fortnight or so

Edited by godless
more info
  • Like 3

so, if you spray with something like white oil ... Is there permanent scarring?

white oil will strip any glaukus/blue sheen straight off. back to green. its good shit, just thought id mention the de sheening thing.

White oil seems to strip not just the sheen, but the waxy cuticle as well. I once sprayed a cactus with whiteoil without thinking - I washed it off (with mildy soapy water, then rinsed with clean water) as soon as I remembered you weren't supposed to use it on cacti, but it still looked like a burn victim afterwards:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835white_oil_burns.jpg

So I dunno, maybe it's ok to use if you wash it off immediately, but I don't think I'd want to do that again!

white_oil_burns.thumb.jpg.cac0cf8ca3ddd3d7ef96819dd5924f15.jpg

white_oil_burns.thumb.jpg.cac0cf8ca3ddd3d7ef96819dd5924f15.jpg

• Like 1

Edited by godless
sorry, was drunk

Edited by godless
sorry, was drunk