The Corroboree
kindness

the subs are back

yes this thread has got me excited too, so yowie and i went up to have a look around today, not much going on, some amanitas about which was nice to see. but not much else, still a bit dry getting close though i feel. will head out again soon

This year for me was a bit of a newie for me in terms of indicators etc. I would have to say that the subs were pretty much the main species out, which I haven't seen before. There were certainly other mushrooms around but subs dominated. Anyone else seen that b4?

Wow beautiful blueing shruman! Congrats to your friend for getting azures to grow and fruit!

Edited by Undergrounder

Hi kids,

You've all had me drooling and excited because of this thread. So this morning I went to where I like to take my photos, but the ground was still clearly far too dry to support subs.

Lots of encouraging fungal life around, no indicator species yet. I usually have a very vivid dream the night before the patches hit, am happy to wait for that :)

I did manage to find these, which I have dubbed Dinnerplatus maximus! :lol::o :o

post-861-1239434752_thumb.jpgpost-861-1239434805_thumb.jpg

Looks like I will be moving to Melbs right on time.

EDIT: I like to use a well positioned paper cup as a make-shift tripod on super-macro.

Holy shit, sina! You're my Fist-Twin! No joke, that could be my hand in that picture. Very uncanny :huh:

Hehehe, but about the mushrooms you found.....Look like some kind of Agaricus, did they have any scent or staining to the flesh? Veil? Gill color? No volva, right?

FM good to see ya pokin' round these parts my friend :) I doubt my fist holds the same fury :wink:

Didn't examine them too thoroughly as had already been trudging through high grass and mulch for some time to find some specimens to photo, spotted these on the way back and just grabbed a couple of quick snaps to make myself feel better for not finding anything else :P

picture226ytn.th.jpg

Another lone ranger.

2 hunts= 2 mushrooms. lol

My patches are 'walking'.

shruman nice pics man, they look very similar to subs you would find around melbourne in garden beds, i dont know muhc about azures but they must be very closely related to subs ay.

nice pics anyway cute little mushrooms there well formed

traditionally it's mother's day that you start making the effort to drive around to your various known patches and you can be pretty sure you'll haul a decent load or two. depends how far you gotta drive. we never bothered to head to red hill, for example, until mother's day after some decent rain

Went for another walk today. Heres a couple of shots, more to follow in next while when I get a minute!

post-3725-1240037471_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1240037491_thumb.jpg

Nice shots meanies...I see you are mastering the macro mode...that first little bunch look so cute and happy.

Gahh I'm such an inexperienced hunter :(

It would help if I could go with someone.

Went into the mountains today and found a few popping up in a couple of patches, although not widespread yet... worth a trip though if you know where you're going!

Ps. subaeruginosa:

patch1t.jpg

mush2.jpg

mush3.jpg

mush4.jpg

mush5.jpg

Crazy blueing sub growing on its own... on a second look could be a different species, wish i'd brought it home:

weird10p.jpg

Deadly galerinas (growing a few paces away from a big sub patch):

notsubs6.jpg

notsubs7.jpg

galerina13.jpg

Stropharia aurantiaca:

stroph8.jpg

Amanita muscaria:

muscaria9.jpg

Kicked over Slippery Jacks:

slippery11.jpg

Russula sanguinea:

sanguinea12.jpg

Smurf village of Hyphaloma fasciculare:

hypha14.jpg

The Birth of an Aseroe rubra: :blink:

aseroe1.jpg

aseroe2.jpg

aseroe3.jpg

Nice finds there Undergrounder. Mushrooms are such a beautiful creation :P

geeze UG..you certainly got the macro shot beauty going on brutha...that lone sub looks like an Azures...strange but beautiful...well done...and an Amanita too sweet as...I hope we have half the luck you did when we head out camping.

Yeah nice pics!

I'm not used to seeing such light gills on subs, or seeing them so tightly packed together.. Definately subs though hey?

Yeah man. Very nice pics. I especially like the Stroph one.

Can you tell us very broadly where you are? What state?

^At a guess, NSW. Couple hours west of Sydney maybe?

Very nice shots indeed. I still don't think I'd trust myself picking the differences between subs and galerinas, though. Grats, UG.

Thanks guys!

I'm not used to seeing such light gills on subs, or seeing them so tightly packed together.. Definately subs though hey?

That's just because they're fresh, the gills haven't darkened too much from the spores yet. I didn't pick them so i'm not eating them but if i did i'm sure as they dried out you would see the blue bruising and the prints would come up purple (you can see the stringy purplish veil remnants coming away from the cap and stem in some of the close shots).

The one i'm not sure about is the crazy blueing stem one with the wavy yellowish gills. It was growing in the bush somewhere on its own and i just haven't seen blueing and gills like that. It looks more like one of the species you see in the States.. wish i had a closer look at it.

These were in the Blue Mountains..

I got a bag of edibles: slippery jacks, milk caps and field mushrooms, didn't take any Amanitas or subs, just photos, and everything that was popping was young so if you're thinking of heading out this w/e, it might be worth a shot. Not subs EVERYWHERE like in the middle of winter but a few around..

Beautiful shots Under G. I love that single closeup of Stroph a. Thats a screen saver!

I notice that a lot of the pics of subs show they like to pop up out of that clover type ground cover..is that what it is that little green leafed plant all around the fruit...?