The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Light&Love

the rains are here!

Hey guys!

I dont know about you guys but im getting some good rain around my area(Sydney south-west), and am planning to go on a shroom hunt sometime in the next couple days. Apparently this time of year is perfect for psb cyanescens as they are said to bloom in april. What id love to know is does anyone have any good mushroom spots for areas such as penrith, liverpool, campbelltown, even out parramatta way?? I've heard that the best shrooms are out the blue mountains way, but i am yet to confirm that as true. All opinions are more than welcome.

Peace

Do a bit of reading/searching of the forum. All you have asked has been answered here a few times ;)

In short, yes, the mountains are said to be a great Sydney area to look. You're looking for subs, often on woodchips. They can be found around Sydney too, but aren't quite as prevalent. Wait for cooler weather after rain (like the rain we've had the last few days).

Yeah, in Australia we have Psilocybe subaeruginosa, not P. cyanescens. Very similar in appearance and characteristics, but a different species. I dont think you'll have any luck getting someone to give you directions to exact patches of mushrooms, but some good places to look are woodchipped garden beds and areas in forests where there is a lot of fallen leaves/twigs and a bit of grass. Also, it is probably too early yet for Sydney to be fruiting active woodlovers - probably another month or two I think.

yea the rain has hit me at in the hills district

Edited by mike_w598

No we need much cooler weather for fruits..Ace is right about time frames..another month yet and then we can start to hunt down some fruits and people can take all those lovely scenic shots with camera's...use macro shots guys and show us some lovely pics.

The last few years has needed that 'solid week of rain' for me to find fruits.

Anywhere from March, to May.. when the rain gets here, it'll get cold too.

Day 4 of that week is when I start my bushwalking.

yea the rain has hit me at in the hills district but we need more sun then more rain

Good to see another hills boy...the dreams at night have been going for a couple

a weeks now,calling to me..have to answer.. B)

Do a bit of reading/searching of the forum. All you have asked has been answered here a few times ;)

In short, yes, the mountains are said to be a great Sydney area to look. You're looking for subs, often on woodchips. They can be found around Sydney too, but aren't quite as prevalent. Wait for cooler weather after rain (like the rain we've had the last few days).

Oh ok fair enough thanks for your help. Me and a few friends were planning to go to the Blue Mountains on saturday, i was just curious as to what type of active psb species i can find growing their at this time of year, if any. Seems like some posters think that the psb subaeruginosa is too early to be harvested at this point in the year, but i was under the impression that most mushrooms needed a good amount of warmth and humidity to flourish and grow?

Peace

Oh ok fair enough thanks for your help. Me and a few friends were planning to go to the Blue Mountains on saturday, i was just curious as to what type of active psb species i can find growing their at this time of year, if any. Seems like some posters think that the psb subaeruginosa is too early to be harvested at this point in the year, but i was under the impression that most mushrooms needed a good amount of warmth and humidity to flourish and grow?

Peace

That's where you are partially right..cubes will fruit in warm humid environments on pastures amongst horse and cattle dung...usually in the northern parts of Australia but can be found around the Sydney basin sometimes...subs on the other hand need it really cold..I mean really cold and they like to pop up under certain types of wood mulch and litter...seems they like eucalyptus the best but are not adverse to other types of leaf litter and scattered bark.

you are assuming that just because its raining now and humid that there will be psilo mushrooms around...not true...its too late now for cubes and a little to early for subs. Have fun up the mountains though its always fun up there no matter if there is fruits, acacia or a coffee and some scones.

H.

you are assuming that just because its raining now and humid that there will be psilo mushrooms around...not true...its too late now for cubes and a little to early for subs. Have fun up the mountains though its always fun up there no matter if there is fruits, acacia or a coffee and some scones.

Hey thanks for the heads up. So there's not a very good chance of finding active psb's then? Oh well it will still be fun but we were hoping to get some for a future trip. If i find anything i will bring here and give people some shroom and spore print photographs.

Peace

its too late now for cubes

Not so sure about that, its pretty bloody warm still, especially today, and with the humidity up in the 80's-90's and that bit of after rain sun now, it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Peace

Ps. cyanescens and Ps. subaeruginosa are synonymous

Ps. cyanescens and Ps. subaeruginosa are synonymous

?

Stamets' 'Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World' (1996) suggests otherwise (along with many similar texts), but come to think of it I think I remember a thread from (maybe) last year saying that they may have been merged.

Hmm, actually, I vaguely remember that being about Ps. eucalypta, Ps. australiana and Ps. tasmaniana being placed under Ps. subaeruginosa? Unless there has been something that I've missed or forgotten?

Any chance you could elaborate Naja?

Edited by Ace

Ask workman :P

Sporeworx

I am no microscopy expert.

Cheers for the pix info Naja.....i spent 8 hours yesterday around Hamden,Oberon

and had no luck in the subz department. If only the amanitas were what i was after.

lots and lolts of beatuiful specimens of a hell of a lot of families. ive been searching

for years for them with no luck really,they say they find you...what if they dont like me???

hey birdman, how were the milk caps coming along??

peace

Edited by husk

Hey peeps

Went down to the Belangelo State Forest today, where they have the pine plantations, and there are alot of different species of mushrooms there, but i didnt get a chance to pick any(i was there for the edible orange-brown shrooms). Its a nice damp wet area where mushrooms flourish because the ground is covered with thick-dried pine leaves and this keeps the mossy ground moist.

Has anyone ever been there and does anyone have any idea if there are any psb mushrooms growing their?

L&L & Birdman, still warm for subs, but as husk said, are the saffron milk caps popping? (the ugly orange edibles)

Would be nice to find some Amanitas this season...I love photographing them..I have a nice collection of Amanita shots from Europe when I used to like in the UK..the ones we used to find in Wales and the west country where flippin amazing.

H.

Well it's certainly cooler outdoors this evening! Damn I adore this sort of weather like tonight; cool crisp air that you feel inside a little when you first breath it in.

And to think it's only just beginning - makes me happy :) I hate summer!

I went for a lovely wander around the bush and pastures down at Kangaroo valley today and had an absolute ball...what a beautiful place that is...saw a few strange fungi but nothing edible...didnt matter the scenery was breathtaking and the views just so serene...just what I needed....

H.

Would be nice to find some Amanitas this season...

Here are some photos that i took with my camera phone while i was down there, some of the images are not the crispest, and i forgot to take some habitat shots, would've been nice to show you guys.

Peace

Edited by Light&Love

I'll see your Amanitas,

and raise you some early fruiting subs

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1884/picture112b.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/507/picture113a.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3683/picture114s.jpg

Can anyone help me embed them? Error says it wont allow dynamic img urls or something..

Anyway according to the bureau , these guys fruited before temps dropped under 12deg c.

Edited by G*P

Great finds G*P! Where abouts were these ones found? 'South East Aus' is pretty broad when talking subs at this time of year :)

It appears that the Sub season has begun!