The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cactophyle

CITES License from Peru

I was considering ordering a cutting from Peru and was told that a CITES license is required now. Isn't CITES to protect endangered plants? Since when did Trichocereues get on the endangered list? The cost of the document alone is $73, which is a total bummer. With shipping a single cutting could cost $150!

Is there a reputable place in South America that I can order real peruvianus/pachanoi and not have to pay CITES fees?

Hi Cactophyle! Did Knize tell you that? Its usually not worth to buy such a small amount of plants from Knize! Shippments that come from that country get controlled very often because its a drug traffic route and it would be safer if the papers are in order! I´m not sure if customs would hand out your plants but its kinda risky! I once had some plants confiscated but got them in the end! Maybe you find some other collectors who want to join your order and who want to share the cites fee with you! But i absolutely want to warn you about Knize! Seems like he´s way too old now to do business! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

CITES are required for just about every plant, they're a certificate to prove that the plant isn't endangered, not a certificate for endangered plants themselves.

Edit: Scratch that, that may not be right... there might be a list of endangered or threatened plants, but you'll find that there are a hell of a lot in the list, and most of them just seem like normal plants. All i know is that most plants i try to import require CITES, despite being modern hybrids that obviously aren't wild collected.

Edited by Undergrounder

It's not Knize, but an ethnobotanical supplier. I kinda figured that Knize must be getting senile from all of the stories. I'd be more than happy to fly down there and take over his business though! I would find the coolest Pedro in the continent...what a life that would be.

:)

Edited by cactophyle

Is there a reputable place in South America that I can order real peruvianus/pachanoi and not have to pay CITES fees?

Icaros sell seeds.

I'd just import it without the papers and cross my fingers, it should be fine.

CITES permit is to to certify that the plant was legally obtained and is only needed for plants on the CITES list.

Edited by Jack

This is from a media release on the Customs website - http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4232&c=7286

"The importation and exportation of CITES listed products without a permit is an offence under the Environment Protection & Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 carrying penalties of up to 10 years' imprisonment and fines of $110,000."

CITES is there for a good reason and everyone should comply with CITES regulations - if for no other reason than to protect plants from illegal cultivation.

Of course, not all plants need a CITES permit, please do your own research. Here is a link to the CITES website -

http://www.cites.org

Edited by madhouses visites

MadHouse just nailed it. Do the research etc,its just not good enough to get busted by your own ignorance..(didnt mean to

sound nasty then)