The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheDudeAbides

Preservation

Can anyone help me out with good preservation.?

Fridge or freezer alright ?

how long do they last

Fridge might last a few days if not dried, freezer will turn them to slush and likely drastically increase oxidation (unless well dried). For storage consider drying and powdering, capping, or drying and keeping in ziplock bag, or think tinctures and frozen tea's. Once dry fridge is ok, same with tincture.

Peace

yse the search engine adn youll come across some good info, like using vit c as an anti oxidant.

As ME said, Fridge/freezer is a bad idea. Slim and mush ahoy. The best way to preserve all kinds of mushrooms is to invest in a dehydrator. They are worth like 120 and you can also make fruit roll-ups with it :D Everybody wins.

Active mushrooms, which I assume is what you are talking about, can be preserved in a number of tricky little ways. For some good teks I would search the forum or stroll on over to the shroomery. They have everything you ever need to know about anything... Ever...

http://www.shroomery.org/

Gen

pretty sure whats been found is that heat doesnt destroy the actives, ie boiling mush to make a tea is okay.

whats destroys or changes the actives is oxidation.

Lower temps should slow most reactions and I'm assuming that includes oxidation and any other enzyme driven degredation that might go on.

Fridge is ok for wet ones for a few days, fridge or freezer is fine for dry ones in air tight container, and know that vit C absorbs oxygen and also can prevent oxidation in a tea (or so it is said).

Peace