The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ayjay101

Transplanting

Hey plant people,

I'm lucky enough to be moving bush soon!, and wanted the concensus on whether transplanting is worth the risk or not. We're renting our current place out, so it's doubtful the plants will be looked after by the tenant and I'd rather take them with us if they're likely to survive the stress of moving.

Only talking about a few plants here - 2 medium sized PC Trichs (both with 4 large pups each), an Eileen cutting with one pup and 2 struggling caapi plants. They've been in the ground for about 2 years. The rest of my plants are in pots, so no dramas with those.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ayjay101

the trichs should be fine if clipped and repotted.. not sure about the caapi tho.

peace

Edited by husk

As Husk says the Trichs should be fine.

The caapi's may take a bit longer to re-establish themselves but you say they are presently struggling so it's likely best to move them to a new situation.

You may wish to consider airial layering at every second node(just light bruising with sandpaper) as an added insurance.

transplanting is quite easy and if you follow a few rules your success rate will be very high.

1, make sure to water the plant well, a couple of days before you start digging.

2, dig out rootball, don't try to dig out a too big root/soil mass, as it would be hard to handle and might even break apart anyway once you move the thing.

3, and thats the important bit, prune back the above ground parts, so that they are in relation with the root mass.

in other words, if you damged or had to leave a lot of the roots behind and it was a big plant, than you have to prune her quite a lot. if on the other hand the rootball still has the shape of the original pot and pretty much comes out like that undamaged than you will not have to prune much.

the caapi will transplant fine as the cacti, good luck with your new place, moving house is always exciting!

ime vine plants are much, much harder to sucsessfully transplant than cacti. thier root sytems are tenacious when established, but easy to kill/harm.

no experience with cappi however

most sensitive vine plants should be left out of any sun until new roots form

if digging the cactii seems too much work just cut it off at the base,callus then plant.

t s t .

Thanks for the advice, well noted. Seems like it's worth taking the risk. I will go to the effort of digging them out with rootballs entact and give them some TLC beforehand and afterward at the new place, which is a much better environment for them anyway.

I forgot to mention my in-ground brug which I'd also like to bring with me to the new place - I'm guessing it should be OK to move it too as with the others.

:)

Cheers dudes, I will post a follow up after the move.

Edited by ayjay101