The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

any oberon hunters?

Sounds good chaps..I have station wagon... :)

Ahh Ben Chifley Dam, that's where I caught the biggest Brown trout I've ever laid eyes on (and actually had the pleasure of landing) - 47cm!!! The trick is to fish just below the outflow where the current starts to slow down near a deep hole :wink: Mind you this was a few years ago before they raised the dam wall, back when I was a local... Y'all!

Anyway, I can't make this weekend but the weekend after next (20th-22nd) sounds potentially quite nice. If oberon isn't happening I know of a place that MAY be swimming with certain red mushrooms... :shroomer:

But back to the fish, Oberon dam has MASSIVE rainbow trout and is also stocked with atlantic salmon and brown trout, native fish are a very rare catch in this dam and it is one of the very few local dams that is not choked with redfin. One of the best spots I know there requires local knowledge to navigate otherwise the ground can literally swallow you up to your nipples!!! I'm being deadly serious there, I lost a pair of boots and my pants at that spot :blush::ana:

At this time of year Ben Chifley Dam starts to slow down a bit for land based anglers, unless you already know where the structures are it's best to fish the river downstream from the dam where you will get nice sized trout and perhaps a largish redfin, sometimes even a yellowbelly. Within the dam itself you'll pretty much be limited to small redfin and the occasional very rare trout (brown or rainbow).

Good luck guys! :)

Showers and cool temps forecast for next week so you might be in for a shot.. Still a bit early for me, i might head up mid-late April when its colder.. that's when i was seeing Milk caps and slippery jacks last year.

Still too early. Undergrounder is right on the money in terms of timeframe.

What the Oberon SES has for advice to the hordes of Eastern-European mushroom pickers that descend on the area every year.

http://oberon.ses.nsw.gov.au/resources/MUSHPSAR.HTM

And this State Forest guide to Mushrooming which I am sure has been posted here about a hundred times now

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/publication/f...ing/default.asp

(mostly focused on Oberon)

Vulcan State Forest is a good site, not only for mushrooms but also prospecting for gold and precious gems!

Glad to come along, so long as we dont go too close before april 30 (first exam for the year), but any time in the few weeks after that would suit well, or a few weeks before.

Peace

Hey everyone, i was up at oberon last weekend for some mushroom hunting, although it was a bit dry we did find alot of slippery jacks and saffron milk cups! i made a nice mushroom stew and dryed the rest of the slippery jacks :) a decent rainfall should lead to an abundance of mushies for all to feast on!!! i was hunting at the pine plantation at the turnoff to oberon, not many other hunters around though!

love that area... make sure you aren't the perpetrators of leaving big filthy white foam boxes around tho' they suck! I'm a bit jealous of you guys... hope you all have fun!

If it was me I would be bringing the camping equipment and spending a night or two in the forest and making a big warm campfire and really getting to know the place, you know camping in state forests is free right?

peace

what date is that?

last week of z month and school hols is out for me unfortunately: (

thats the w.e before of my birthday (14th)...but also 2 and a half weeks before my exam....toss up.

Peace

So... cooler weather on approach... thought this thread was worth a bump :)

Indeed it is. :wink:

We had a bit of rain up here today in the surrounding areas so i would imagine that Oberon had some as well. Tempertures are also noticeably colder. Probably going to have a look in a week or two.

Indeed it is. :wink:

We had a bit of rain up here today in the surrounding areas so i would imagine that Oberon had some as well. Tempertures are also noticeably colder. Probably going to have a look in a week or two.

cool lemme know when u go.

Is anyone interested in just setting a date and going for a little camp. if there are no mushrooms around we can still have fun sitting around a fire? how about April 25th/26th ?

In a camping spot somewhere around Oberon - ideally somewhere like the end of 2008 fishing trip where the stereo can be cranked up with no hassle from the locals?

I've just got through a shitfull period at work and could really do with a few days away.

Edited by watertrade

I'm seriously considering going up this friday (3rd, tomorrow). I know its probably a little too early but what the hey, i'd just be sitting around anyway.

anything going on with the camp?

Not sure how it is up in Oberon, but down the mountains a bit in my area(Wentworth Falls) there are tons of Slippery Jacks, Saffron Milkcaps, Amanitas and even a few Goldtops :)