The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

Seedring - Melbourne Chapter has CLOSED.

Edit: Chapter has closed.

Okay so the time's come and is feeling well overdue,

I'm removing myself from the seedring and potentially offering up the position if there is demand*

It's been a long time coming, I feel my opinions have not allowed it to go in certain directions where it may have

needed to go yet i didn't fully agree with, am frustrated and need to cease any negativity and open it up

to fresh minds.

Many thanks for the support over the years from all the seedringers, and especially to the major donators Auxin, Ed, tantra, SAB, Herbalistics, FF/rev who

definitely allowed it to stay afloat. (and all the others i forgot to mention)

I think it's particularly important to thank auxin as being an international member,

he was always one to donate frequently and generously which always incorporated many new species that hardly get the light of day alot of the time.

But that said, a huge thanks to everyone else and I appreciate your efforts and generosity just as much.

And also to thank SAB for the constant generous hosting; as well as rev for initiating and motivating the seedring.

Not to forgot Obtuse doing a great job making sure all the technical side of things stay up and running with the website.

*Light on the horizon... With closure of Melbourne A new mainland chapter is more than likely opening up;

The melbourne position is potentially available for an interested person as the potential new chapter is located a bit further north;

However feasibility of a melbourne chapter with the new chapter may not be appropriate due to demand;

IF an interested melbourne party thinks they can diversify species from the new chapter and have the demand to make it worth their efforts, they are more than welcome to take on the MFSR role.

Cost of PO box rental a year is about 70-80$,

maintaining seed stock and website listings as well as the ability to check species on national/state weed lists knowing what can and can't be distributed legally etc is generally needed.

Initially I can generally help in sourcing the weed legilsation lists and some interpretation of it if needed.

Anyway will see how this turns out, the melbourne chapter will more than likely run until a new one is phased in at this stage but this is just a chance to get the ball rolling.

Thanks

g.

Edited by gerbil

All your work over the years sure has been appreciated, MFSR helped me greatly several times :)

Thanks Gerbil :)

When the new seed ring operator is confirmed I'll be able to send a package over to them to help get the new one moving :)

Send some hippie love vibes to my Desmodium pulchellum plants and they might produce enough seed later this year for some to be sent to the new ring too :wink:

indeed thank you very much for all yoru hard work with that gerbil, i think alot of people do not realise how much work you have put into this over the years, thanks mate for keeping it going for as long as you have.

dc n I will contemplate taking over if no other more viable options become avaialable...

web hosting and online ordering sytem maybe an option we could provide for the community.

A conversation started with Gerbil around a campfire a few months ago...

"That was you!?! .. ahh thanks heaps. etc etc etc. " this was when I found out Gerbil was the one running the melb seed ring.

he has done a great job with the support of the fore mentioned growers. Even if I didn't know it was him at the time :rolleyes::slap:

I have been talking with Gerbil for a while about it and I might be starting another chapter in Canberra - depending really on what happens to the melbourne ring. this is the potential new chapter a bit further north.

Thanks gerbil :)

yeh,great work mate,helped me greatly with incomings and outgoings...........

but it takes a lot of time,effort and organization so a change of facilitator every few years seems a good idea to me..........

thanks muchly gerbil,a true believer.........

t s t .

aw thanks fellas :blush: can already feel the research path reopening so a good breath of fresh air :D

thanks Conan and dc, sounds like a great option if you guys are keen.

See what the interest is like with the thread, but if you want it and are happy to take it on let me know :D

Shite... better get off my ass and get my left over stock from when I ran the CCSR chapter to somebody else and get them started up until the Melbourne chapter gets taken over and up and running again.

Thanks for your work Gerbil - you lasted longer than me :).

Shite... better get off my ass and get my left over stock from when I ran the CCSR chapter to somebody else and get them started up until the Melbourne chapter gets taken over and up and running again.

Thanks for your work Gerbil - you lasted longer than me :).

Still going on saturday Indigo ??

Hopefully we can get something worked out then and go from there

The Melbourne chapter is now CLOSED and is not changing hands. Any lag in post orders will be sent when possible.

Thanks for all the support over the years.

At this stage the more northern chapter won't be opening up for various reasons, if there is demand in the future it may come about.

As previously mentioned I was going to start a Canberra chapter to fill the hole left by Melbourne. Having discussed it with gerbil for a little while I think we both agreed to let it rest for a while.

:)

cheers for you effort Gerbil.

Not sure if it appropriate to ask here but, Did the seed ring die out due to personal reasons or not enough support?

With the amount of people growing its a shame if it did not recieve enough support.

Anyway thanks again for you time and efforts.

no worries man,

a bit of both i'd say, and on varying levels and intertwined :D

It's hard to go into detail on a public forum, tried writing it but finding it too difficult without getting into too much personal stuff :)

It definitely takes up a lot of time and effort of which i need to direct my energy elsewhere at this point.

I can't really speak for the other chapters over the years but from memory it did seem one reason was a lack of interest that just couldn't justify the continuation of them for a number of reasons.

A central coast chapter is actually opening so it's still in existence :D and other folks who ran previous chapters are dropping seed through free stuff threads.

It's much appreciated that you were going to take it on WT :D apologies for the repetitive pm's LOL