The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tripitaka

Making a documentary - Last Tibetan Shamans of Nepal

When I was in Nepal I had the privelege of interacting and meeting one of the two remaining Tibetan Shamans in Nepal.

They are known as Pau which is a Tibetan term for Shaman.

They are both exiled to a refugee camp near Sarangkhot (Tashiparkhiel). Tibetan refugees are in some kind of diplomatic limbo beaing that they dont have Tibetan visas, China wont recognise them and Nepal wont offer them a visa.

Pau Rhichoe, the eldest of the two is in his mid 70's and cuts an amazing figure as he walk through the lanscape. He displays many of the typical traits the shamanic model describes. His Father died whilst his Mother was in child birth, illness in his early teens, was recognised by his elders as having shamanic attributes and was healed successively over a period of years by a number of Shamans who taught him.

Much of our conversations were via a translator which was a difficult way to interact and required much patience.

His main method of healing is by employing the use of shamanic mirrors which have the dual function of deflecting illness and reflecting the image of the patient so he is able to see what the illness is and effect a cure.

I have the opportunity to make a documentary about these two men. I dont want to do it on my own and im trying to seek collaborators.

My questions would be;

1)Does anyone in the community have the resources and time to collaborate on this project. At this stage I imagine it will take at least twelve months to organise and filming in June of 2011.

2)Could the community offer suggestions as how to go about making it as legitimate as possible? By that I mean I want to avoid the pitfalls of portraying this in a Western alternate sense ala Shamans of the Amazon and strive for something backed up by history and that reads as neutral as possible on the screen.

A funding proposal is needed and thinking the arts council. The resources to make films and edit them are available.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

It is very much in its infancy and the Tibetan community has asked that a proposal is written outlining ideas, timetables etc.

I hope to have this to them within three months.

As stated I am very sensitive to the portrayal of these men, but dont quite know how to go about it and very keen to get some community involvement and insights as to possibilities as to how this could look and the obstacles that may be faced both aestetically and perceptually.

Edited by Tripitaka

I'll put my hand up for the audio side of things such as live field recording and post production editing.

H.

speaking of audio, i am a composer having studied with a few renowned australian composers, if you need original musical score speak with me tripi.

its a very interesting project, i hope it all goes ahead you are a very taleted artist mate and i reckon you would do a great job at making the film, please keep us up to date on how it all pans out for you

A funding proposal is needed and thinking the arts council.

Maybe try approaching the Tibetan Government in exile.

sounds awesome. how are you going to approach it in regards to yourself or westerners on camera?

those peyote and iboga documentaries were quite good IMHO as the main white dude in each approached the people in a respectful manner and also were interesting enough to add to the story themselves.

the alternative is to always be behind the camera and interview them and get the subtitles put on later which can also be very good and feel more like you are stepping into their world rather than watching someone else step into their world.

This is Pau Rhichoe,

P1010013-3.jpg

Thanks for your input so far guys. I will respond when I have more time.

Thats an awesome photo, i look at the things in the background and i see beautiful artwork, beads, lamps and pringles.

I LOVE it!

Great idea tripi, will be great to read about your progress.