The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ayjay101

Parents bailed after baby ingested drugs

Parents bailed after baby ingested drugs

A VICTORIAN couple has been released on bail after their baby almost died swallowing a drug, believed to be ecstasy, in far north Queensland.

The father, 24, and mother, 22, faced Cairns Magistrates' Court today charged with grievous bodily harm and possession of a dangerous drug, The Cairns Post reports.

Their two-month-old baby remains in a serious but stable condition in Cairns Base Hospital, after going into cardiac arrest and being placed in an induced coma on Sunday.

Police allege she ingested half an ecstasy pill, a street drug that can produce serious symptoms.

Her condition has since improved and she has been transferred from the intensive care unit to the paediatrics ward.

Paramedics rushed to a unit at Behan St, Manunda, about 10.30am on Sunday, about 90 minutes after the baby suffered a seizure.

Detectives from the Child Protection and Investigation Unit and Cairns CIB searched the unit and questioned the father and mother for several hours on Sunday.

The couple has been released on watch-house bail and are believed to be keeping a bedside vigil at the hospital as their daughter recovers.

She is expected to make a full recovery.

The baby remains in their care but the Department of Child Safety is investigating the matter.

Police are not alleging the couple deliberately administered the drug to the toddler.

Police said the couple and their daughter were holidaying in Cairns over the Christmas and New Year period.

But a resident at the unit complex said they had moved to the city and the father had recently taken up a job.

Linky

Edited by ayjay101

a street drug that can produce serious symptoms

what the fuck is that meant to mean. idiots.

:P

Edited by misteek

Yeh and the charge 'possession of a dangerous drug' is dumb and can be applied to most pharmacy medicines along with the legal drugs, and probably many foodstuffs too. It's only dangerous if you use it stupidly...oh and how dangerous can it be when a 2 month old can ingest half a dose and still be expected to make a full recovery HAH.

Peace

Fully recovery with the chance of some serious brain damage perhaps, i think when they say full recovery it means not die. Not really something to make light of imo, an infants brain is nothing like an adults and MDMA (if thats what was the main component of the pill) is in no way a good thing for an infant, so yeh, it is dangerous when ingested by an infant. Would you let a infant of your own eat an MD pill of any sort because it isnt dangerous when you chow one or four down in a night???

Another thing that puzzles me, I dont see how the child "accidentally" swallowed a pill, wether it be half or quater of one, the motor skills in a two month old child really arent developed enough for it to pick something up of that size and put it in its mouth.

Strange story indeed.

Another thing that puzzles me, I dont see how the child "accidentally" swallowed a pill, wether it be half or quater of one, the motor skills in a two month old child really arent developed enough for it to pick something up of that size and put it in its mouth.

I second that dude... my newest one is a week off two months, and he couldn't pick anything up and put it in his mouth, he mungs on the back of his hand when he's about to go to sleep, but there's no way he could pick something up and feed it to himself... I haven't seen him able to put the front of his hand in his mouth, and my first was the same at this age...

The other thing is if it had something hard in it's mouth like that, i was under the impression that baby wouldn't be able to swallow it - their gag reflew would see it spewed up?! If it were crushed as a powder, perhaps, but not as a pill on it's own... Thus it would have had to be fed to the kid some way or another...

The report on the news just said that they are now believed to have fed the pill to the baby to "stop it from crying"

Fuckheads.

Edited by gilligan

Strange story indeed.

Yer, you make a good point PD, most 2 months old I have seen are unable to roll on their stomachs. So the half pill would have had to be PRETTY fucking close to the bub. Stories like this make me hate humanity so much. Rekon it was a case of "Baby is crying, rub her gums with rum"? If you get what I mean.

Some people just shouldn't be parents, accident or not.

Gen

*Edit* Gilligan, nail on the head

Edited by Genesis

Fully recovery with the chance of some serious brain damage perhaps, i think when they say full recovery it means not die. Not really something to make light of imo, an infants brain is nothing like an adults and MDMA (if thats what was the main component of the pill) is in no way a good thing for an infant, so yeh, it is dangerous when ingested by an infant. Would you let a infant of your own eat an MD pill of any sort because it isnt dangerous when you chow one or four down in a night???

Strange story indeed.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/kh042kw325034101/

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/10...al-case-re.html

8month old made full clinical recovery after having levels of mdma in blood regarded as 1.5 LD 50 for adult

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/anesb/abstrac...#33;8091!-1

17month toddler makes full recovery

Recovery seems likely As long as the negative side effects of the drug are countered quickly by something like Valium it could obviously be dangerous but in the two cases above there does not seem to be indications of permanent damage. Which is thankful for the children . The only possible way the child could have accidently ingested it is if it had fell into their food/formula or something and then been unknowingly fed to the child, although i struggle to see how this could possibly happen. Maybe I'm just trying to rationalise the situation as I really have no idea what some idiot could be thinking to purposely feed a pill to a child that young

Yeh missed the most important part in my other post, I mean a good thing that the child recovered, and the brain being far less developed and undergoing such rapid development it would probably not be a good thing.

Whether some ^^^ make it or not. And how fucked up that they actually fed it to the baby to stop it from crying.

How stupid do you have to be.

Some people just shouldn't be parents, accident or not.

Gen

Agreed man, but if they take it on they have the responsibility to do it well.

Peace

Just found this...

"Police are not alleging the couple deliberately administered the drug to the toddler."

However....

"Medical experts yesterday said most two-month-old babies did not have the co-ordination to pick up small objects such as a tablet, let alone the swallowing mechanism to consume such an item."

from Here

So how the fuck did the baby get the pill into its system.

This has reallly pissed me off, poor little bubba

It's only dangerous if you use it stupidly...oh and how dangerous can it be when a 2 month old can ingest half a dose and still be expected to make a full recovery HAH.

:rolleyes::slap:

It seems this may not have been an accident at all. Bloody hell! I didn't really consider how young the baby was. At that age it would barely be out of it's burrito roll, let alone crawling around and putting crap in it's mouth.

Even if the 2 month old was capable of picking up the half pill and swallowing, it's damn negligent of the parents to leave such a young baby unwatched to that extent, let alone leave a pill in a position where it could be found by the bub. Makes me think they might have been out of it at the time? Or just fuckeheads.

Sadly it seems this sort of thing is done deliberately to calm babies down - this from Gillgigan's article above:

An analysis of 165 NSW child deaths between 1991 and 2005, published in the latest Medical Journal of Australia, found five involved children being given methadone.

Psychiatrist Olav Nielssen said in most cases, parents had given their children methadone intending to sedate them, rather than kill.

"The findings of this study suggest that takeaway methadone should not be given to addicts with children in their care," Dr Nielssen said.

I've heard of dipping dummys in honey or even rum to calm a baby, but this is sickening. Cunts should be sterilised.

Yeh i have also read the reports of ppl giving their infants methadone to settle them but ffs how settled do they want their kids. I just dont understand though what you would be givin the kids an MD type pill for "man that kid has been asleep for ages, i think it needs to get up and party for awhile".

There is only one way an infant of that age could have ingested a pill or the powder thereof and that is if an adult or older child put it in their mouth.

let alone leave a pill in a position where it could be found by the bub. Makes me think they might have been out of it at the time?

Leaving a pill of any sort out where a child of any age can find it is just as irresponsible as feeding them to a child imo and ill say this A 2 MONTH OLD WOULD NOT HAVE FOUND THE PILL OR PICKED IT UP, that is unless it was on a bed made of pills with a blanket and pillow also made of pills, a child of that age generally doesnt roll around in bed at all. At that age they are usually in their bassinet/cradle or the arms of someone.

While it is no excuse at all, surely they must have been wasted to believe that feeding the kid the pill would have any benifit.

Crazy fucked up that it isn't so uncommon for parents to feed their kids their stash in an attempt to 'calm them down'.

Peace

While it is no excuse at all, surely they must have been wasted to believe that feeding the kid the pill would have any benifit.

Crazy fucked up that it isn't so uncommon for parents to feed their kids their stash in an attempt to 'calm them down'.

Peace

I doubt being wasted has much to do with it, apart from exacerbating what dickheads they already were.

I don't know anyone who would ever consider anything like that no matter how out of it they were.

Yeh undoubtedly they have to be total morons to consider it regardless of their state of consciousness but perhaps it made their judgement that little bit worse.

While I hold utmost contempt for anyone deliberately administering harmful substances to an INFANT FFS, apparently the coppers let them go and gave them custody of the baby again. I would argue that a lot of cops are as crooked as a nine bob note, but in a case like this they must be privy to information the public doesn't, for them to have released the child back into their care.

Interesting.

While I hold utmost contempt for anyone deliberately administering harmful substances to an INFANT FFS, apparently the coppers let them go and gave them custody of the baby again. I would argue that a lot of cops are as crooked as a nine bob note, but in a case like this they must be privy to information the public doesn't, for them to have released the child back into their care.

Interesting.

perhaps something along the lines of 'If you tell us where you got the pills from we'll give you custody of your baby again'

Lets hope the cops wouldnt think catching a dealer to be important enough to give the kid back.

I figured that because they weren't Queensland residents they released them so they can go home to Victoria and the child welfare department of that state can deal with it.

If these people are stupid enough to let their infant child get so deranged on MDMA I'm sure it's not the first time they have been exposed to drugs as most substances pass straight throught to the fetus while in the womb and straight through breast milk if breast feeding. Nothing like a fair go from the start.

Lets hope the cops wouldnt think catching a dealer to be important enough to give the kid back.

Does recommending to child protection/human services that a child be taken away from it's parents go on their service record/bring any glory to their names?.....no!

Does an arrest of a drug dealer go on their record?....sure does!

Geez i'm cynical, ain't i.... :wink:

That child, should NOT be with those "parents" right now. But it is.

sdfsd

Edited by Teljkon

Telk, as has been said many times the practicality of the action of swallowing the pill itself is no good.

Also, every situation I can think of would still be a result of irresponsible parenting.

Peace

It's come out now that their story is that they gave the pill to the baby thinking it was a headache tablet!

Who the fuck gives a 2 month old a headache tablet anyway? How idiotic are they to confuse it with ecstasy? It's getting harder to believe this was accidental.

Even if you buy their story, their negligence and stupidity is undoubtable.

you guys dont have much imagination if you cant think up a couple of hundred ways for a little baby to accidently swallow half a exctasy pill

Perhaps for a toddler who can get around and is inquisitive and can co-ordinate themselves to pick something up and eat it. But a two month old can barely roll over let alone see something, move over to it and pick it up, then put it in their mouth and swallow it. Responsible parents would not be in a position to confuse ecstasy with a headache tab, and they certainly wouldn't give a headache tablet to a baby anyway.