Sign in to follow this  
Inyan

Grafting Brugmansia pictures, pictures in general

doneseedlinggraft12.jpg

kylemeasure1stcut.jpg

Kylesecondcutscion.jpg

graft209.jpg

VS.jpg

Brugmansia seedling shown grafted to mature stock from flowering region.

I've posted these pictures to show that you can handle, cut on, and otherwise work with Brugmansia without wearing gloves. I do however, advice against rubbing your eyes.

arborea3.jpg

KingsOrangeaurea.jpg

P7240081BGaureajpg.jpg

P7240071GKaurea1.jpg

xGoldenespods.jpg

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 3

Wildfire.jpg

P7310012.jpg

You can see a very nicely healed graft here between one of my hybrids and its mom.

Wildfire, one of my other favorites. I'll stop posting pictures for now as I know many of you have much better in your collection. I assure you, I have much better in mine as well. You never post everything.

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 2

very nice post and pic's, but i don't understand why you graft a seedling onto the flowering parts of a mature brug, i can only guess, that this way the seedling will mature faster.

it seems strange to me, not to tell us why you graft, anyway grafting solani is great fun, easy and can have great rewards, like multicolered flowering brugs or red and yellow tree tomato on one single bush.

i prefere a straight blade when grafting, any box cutter will do.

to clean the blade, i use metho initialy and a mist of water after having done a few cut's during the operation.

i always clean the blade very thorough if cutting a new plant, so to avoid spreading disease.

for tieing up the graft, i use strips cut out of old plastic bags, which works well for me as one can use different strengh of plastic for different softness of the tissue.

• Like 1

Looking good inyan! can you explain that first picture. you grafted to rooted plants together, curious why.

you ever try micropore tape? i have been trying it with fruit trees, with varying success.

I've used micropore tape, but I find that its a bit too sticky for my taste. My favorite tools of the trade are parafilm (wax sheets that breath) and co-ban elastic wrap. I've tended to utilize parafilm underneath my coban for most of my grafts though though to offset the biting into the tissue that you can see if you aren't careful with coban. Coban can also leave small threads inside of the tissue of your plant if left on too long which can also color the tissue the color of your graft. This again is overcome with parafilm wrap directly underneath your coban.

As for your question, Kada, as to grafting two Brugmansia together and leaving them both on their own roots... Its just faster to graft that way and was a bit of fun at the same time. Grafting is fun to me and during the winter, I utilize every cheat I can think of to ensure my grafts take. We all know it is much better to graft when the days are a bit longer, but here I am always grafting. I guess you might call it an addiction, but it makes me happy. I also like seeing multiple colors, shapes, etc. on one tree. Some of my grafts, such as my red series Brugmansia grafted onto double pinks for example, I don't show as it is a bit embarrassing. That type of graft speeds the red Brugmansia up too fast and they become much more prone to disease... its a waste of time and effort, but if I didn't do it... it would be second hand knowledge or in actuality, no knowledge... as no one shared this with me.

http://www.ptdirectonline.com/ProductDetai...oid1=&oid2=

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/supp4b.shtml

The above is the parafilm I utilize. It works great for seedling grafts as it doesn't put enough pressure to damage the seedlings provided only one or two wraps are applied and can be easily torn to size via a quick ripping action or you can use scissors. Yes, I realize that many don't use anything to hold their seedling grafts in place. To each their own style or technique.

Planthelper,

Grafting any plant, cactus, seedling, etc. is easy if you know how and have patience so that is a given. As to your other questions, I graft for the diversity it creates as well as to learn how a particular stock affects the scion. Rather than throw out my hypothesis on how or why I do something or what I think I've learned, I like to allow those to see things unencumbered by my own b.s. as that gets the individual's creative juices to flowing.... wondering why and coming up with their own theory. Perhaps, they will try it and share a common thread of perception with me and together the two perceptions will have more weight and less of a placebo effect than if I simply throw out my own garbage so to speak. Not that I don't throw out plenty of my own garbage out there. I guess some of it just depends on the mood I'm in at the moment which is influenced much more than I would like to admit from the particular environment I am in at the moment. I applaud your additions by the way as they are much needed for those that haven't had any experience grafting as well as for some of us that have been grafting without a care as to the spread of disease.

Perhaps I will find some documents I've made on grafting Brugmansia and post them here as well if you don't beat me to it. Unfortunately, my computer was purged recently enough that some of my better grafting projects are lost.

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 1

Would the superglue method work?

It's used by some for Cactus scions.

What about thread grafting,where a hole is cut through the stock and the scion is inserted through this aperture.

Edited by Garbage

Thread grafting, now, that is an excellent idea Garbage. I'm not too sure how it would work for anything other than seedlings with Brugmansia, but an excellent idea!

I'm just thinking of 40-50 seedlings all thread grafted to the tops of a mature Brugmansia right now... think I may give that one a whirl. Thanks for the idea Garbage. Its much appreciated.

As for superglue, I've played with it, but I don't rely on it for anything more complex than sticking my own skin back together after a graft goes wrong.

@Inyan I search brugmansia grafting and ended up here lol anywho,

Did a long wedge style and then used 2 bits of parafilm to tightly bind each end of the graft and then a larger sheet to cover the entire thing. It's 'Sacred Sunset' onto 'Frosty Pink', both provided my @Glaukus - top bloke!

20180805_130944.thumb.jpg.e12fd6473c5824d2e70714766bea2c6e.jpg

Might go try FP to SS and play with an adhesive roll use for sports, elastoplast brand.

• Like 4

Grafting Brugmansia is about as easy as grafting cacti @Gimli With that being said, green pieces of Brugmansia can be adequately grafted with just parafilm.

However, self-adhesive coban as a first or secondary larger is very nice to use for older wood when it comes to Brugmansia. I say that as coban can exert a lot more force to hold a cut that is slightly off in place so that the union forms more easily. 

The down side of very green specimens and grafting with Brugmansia... they tend to dry out very easily if not covered almost completely in parafilm and or coban. I've used humidity domes to increase humidity with very green specimens and even filled water bags up to surround the graft to supply extra water to grafts to ensure they did not dry out... believe it or not... it worked.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2009 at 3:59 AM, Inyan said:

Wildfire.jpg

P7310012.jpg

You can see a very nicely healed graft here between one of my hybrids and its mom.

Wildfire, one of my other favorites. I'll stop posting pictures for now as I know many of you have much better in your collection. I assure you, I have much better in mine as well. You never post everything.

Inyan, great thread, will be attempting this soon.

In the top photo is this B. sanguinea? As stock?

I have a lot of B. sanguinea seedlings and wanted to know if I could use them as a stock for the less cold tolerant species.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, solomon said:

Inyan, great thread, will be attempting this soon.

In the top photo is this B. sanguinea? As stock?

I have a lot of B. sanguinea seedlings and wanted to know if I could use them as a stock for the less cold tolerant species.

If you dig deep enough, you will likely find I have Datura pistils grafted onto Brugmansia and vice versa. My suggestion to you... try everything you desire. It is the only way you can prove to yourself what works and what doesn't. 

I know sometimes crosses that are taught to produce one  result.... when one actually does them... much different results are sometimes found. Whether that is because the "expert" tried and failed or because the "expert" was going on prior knowledge... who knows. What I can tell you is that no two seedlings are alike and no two grafters are alike. What works for you... may not work so well for me because perhaps you have a better box cutter blade or some other technique that I have not discovered yet and vice versa. 

When you have extra of something... that is when the fun begins. Graft both ways and see what works best for you. Graft to versicolor stock, suaveolens stock, aurea stock, hybrids, etc. Go wild with it. See if anything new pops up for you. Perhaps you are more observant and will note things that the previous grafter did not notice when it comes to the influence of the stock on the scion. There are many reasons to graft, but my favorite reason to graft is simply because its fun and can give unexpected results sometimes such as those rare chimera plants one sees every so often. 

Now, can you imagine a cold x warm group chimera.....

• Like 2

20180804_005255.thumb.jpg.011a1008d432aba45074045e5efb68cf.jpg

20180805_175706.thumb.jpg.088253a6970285fa59dfa1e820294186.jpg

20180803_221339.thumb.jpg.e3b94e20740610968a986b286f441a62.jpg

Frosty Pink doing its thang

• Like 2

@Gimli Frosty Pink was one of my first Brugmansia. While Frosty Pink is not as fragrant as Jamaican Yellow or Isabella, I have Frosty Pink to thank for many of my early hybrids.

She is an exceptional seed setter.