The Corroboree
Fenris

Methode Champignon

interesting method, producing some interesting champignons.

nice work

Great idea. I have seen similar methods using a PVC pipe, ring clamp, and polyfill.

But yours is far simpler and easier to use.

I really like this idea, thanks! Its really inexpensive, easy to do - looks like a winner

hey therefore thanks with all your help and advise i get the homebrand ones they are much tougher thang the others i love this tek i was considering just using a cryvac bag instead for my next batch has any one tried this yet thanks heaps fenris

man i really should start reading the dates :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 1

I've had nothin but contams? To much grain not enough agar me thinks.

try using a liquid culture and give it about 50 mls and then knead the bag i had that problem too when i would just put a agar slice in it also if you are using a live culture the growth is not inhibited by h202 so adding a bit to the substrate do not hurt it.

I am giving this tek a go right now :) ill post my experiences !

So far ive put a couple of big bags through my PC for 4 hours and they seem to be holding up fine, that said i am being very gentle with them !

I guess the real test to see if the bags will hold up will be when i need to do the 30% colonization massage.

Tasty oysters here i come !

i love this but i drill heaps of holes in a syringe barrel and pack it full of poly fill then get zip ties and seal it up. I use lc's works great inject it knead it wait

till 30% knead it again i use it manly for wood lovers . im trying one atm with cardboard just blended it till it was a pulp then dried it out and add water to

field standard pc for a hour hope it works out

• Like 1

The oven bags for me have been holding up very well, as far as i can tell they have not had a single puncture yet :) Ill take some pics next time i report back.

I bought some Coles brand oven bags -- not sure I'm too keen on putting them through the pressure cooker though, even if I double them up.

They basically seem like a really fragile cellophane :\

What are people inoculating with? LC?

From what I've read, some people seem to be having problems with contams setting in unless they go crazy with inoculation points

Ive had some problems with contams in the past, using plenty of LC helps, don't overfill the oven bag, and try not to handle too much until colonisation is well under way. I had a feeling that maybe contams were getting through the collar, I think on my next try I will tape up the area where the lid meets the bag, I think air may be getting through there rather than through the filter patch. If the colonisation is going well it might be best to let is sit for a while and only shake/ knead the bag when the colonisation starts to slow.

I actually had one or two bags where I left it until colonisation slowed, presumably due to lack of air transfer, I was careful to take the collar off and fold the oven bag over, and put the bag away. With the collar removed the bag breathed much better and things took off really quickly, but you need to position it in such a way that contams aren't going to inadvertently find a way in.

• Like 1

I picked up some new oven bags.. keen to give this a shot now, once I find a suitable sleeve/lid

I am using multix bags (Comfimed to be sold in woolworths and iga) - they seem thin and easy to break but are actually holding up really well.

PC time for me was 4 hours with rather filled bags- i chose this number after researching quite a bit, its also noteworthy to say my PC was very full so increased PC time was definitely desireable. So far no contams across 4 large bags at about 40% colinization.

As for gas exchange i found lifting the bag from the lid gently creates a vacume in the due to the weight if the substrate pulling down in the bag through gravity. The bags vacume pulls plenty of air into the bag which will slowly disipate back through the filter while the bag is sitting around, so i dont personally see any need to take the lid off until its fully colinized, this method should supply more than enough air.

Edited by BentoSpawn