The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

Lophophora var ceaspitosa on a Trichocereus pachanoi

I grafted a Lophophora var ceaspitosa on a Trichocereus pachanoi about a week ago and am just wondering how long i should wait before i can begin to water and fertilize?

I will post a pic soon, both of graft and grafting stock but i'm a little weighed down with work!

Thanks

i often water once join is very well healed and on it way to being put outside (1-2weeks).

Thanks, looks like they have fused pretty well, can't tell for sure but i think loph is now putting on some growth. I will wait probably another week since the loph and trich both seem pretty firm still.

Will put some pics up this weekend. So far so good!

Scion was beginning to soften so i watered. Scion has regained its turgor so its looking real good so far!

Will post pic in next few days!

The pics i promised...

The scion has pupped right at the base and so far the pup seems devoid of chlorophyll. Has anyone come across this before and can i hope to have the pup stay this way or will it green as it fills out?

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/m...pg?t=1228769170

Hope it works, after all this time these are the first pics i have ever posted!

Haha, well i got one of em to work!

Edited by Mr Stay Puft

nice work man they both look healthy and happy.... :)

H.

Good job and definetly a sucess :) A very clean and well done graft.

Edited by Hellonasty

one week!

u have the skills!

picture perfect graft.

Edited by incognito

I actually starve the root-stock of water then water it JUST AFTER (like 60 seconds after) grafting.

why? generally you want the stock as juicy as possible when grafting.

It almost looks as if that little pup is coming from the Trich. It wouldn't be all that bad if you happened to have a chimera form between these two plants. It might actually be kind of cool looking.

What chimera would be better?

Lophophora scion and Trichocereus stock or Trichocereus scion on Lophophora stock?

One maybe more common.

A chimera is a mingling of the cells between two cacti in such a manner that the two become one plant. Similar to variegation coloring, only this would be a variegation in cell type where some cells are trichocereus and some are Lophophora. Imagine taking a blender and mixing the two in a blender and then forming a solid growing mass from that blended mixture. That is what a chimera is.

looks good. thats just new growth, all looks well and normal :)

I guess I can live with normal if I can hope for the rare abnormal form. You just had to go and burst my bubble Kadakuda!

Garbage,

If I think I see where you are coming from, I may be wrong or right, but what you state is a goal that can be achieved in theory at least via chimera, protoplast fusion, or even through years of selection if you are just damn lucky. Any goal is worth something if in pursuit of the goal you have fun at it.