The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Grafting plant needs an id

Question

12 answers to this question

looks like some sort of solanum.

Thanks Torsten. The guy I got it off said his friend got it from perth, its a very interesting plant for grafting.

it is probably only suitable for grafting solanaceous plants on it, such as eggplant, tomato, etc.

let it go to fruit and I am sure we can work out what it is. if it is really fast growing and looks like it might turn into a tree then it is S.wrightii. Very vigorous and perfect for grafting.

It is a very fast grower and does grow up like a tree. I have seen fruit on my friends tree and it has green berrys after it flowers, im not sure if they turn red in time as I only seen them green. I suspect that one of his trees is male and one is female. Because only one flowers and has fruit and the other one has clones sprouting from the roots. Its a very interesting plant. Thanks for the ID

i think its a pea eggplant (those miniture edible thai eggplants) that are also used for rootstock for other eggplants.

could be Solanum torvum . they are good to eat and medicinal too i think. dont go eating it without a proper id though

green berries about 4-5cm across? no, they don't turn any other colour. The only Solanum that grows into a large tree is wrightii. It can handle really crappy soils, so you can graft almost any solanaceous plant onto it and it will do well.

Thanks for the info Torsten. I will post a pic when it fruits, which will probably be this time next year.

Solanum hispidum. Apparently the common name is devils fig tree.

useful for grafting tomato and eggplant...at the same time if one was so inclined... and possibly other solanaceous plants, you can only try!

Edited by Mr Stay Puft

Solanum hispidum. Apparently the common name is devils fig tree.

useful for grafting tomato and eggplant...at the same time if one was so inclined... and possibly other solanaceous plants, you can only try!

Thanks bud, I have had a look at a few sites and this looks like the one. Thanks for your help

I assume this is not poisonous, if one can graft edible vegetables on, right??

I am sure you all know that story of the psychoactive tomatos, where tomatoes had been grafted on daturas ??!?! :P

I assume this is not poisonous, if one can graft edible vegetables on, right??

I am sure you all know that story of the psychoactive tomatos, where tomatoes had been grafted on daturas ??!?! :P

I have heard of people grafting weed to tomatoes and vice versa green tomatoes that get you smashed, the old Italians and greeks know all the secrets! :drool2:

Edited by sharxx101

I idea of grafting hops to cannabis stocks apparently didn't work.