The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sensai_Milla

Respect

Perhaps we should should be respecting everyone..as a principle of being humble.

H.

Respect is a very basic level of humane interaction with other human beings (and other life forms in general) IMO. I used to run groups. In them I set up some basic interactive guidelines which all the participants discussed and agreed to after determining if they thought they were fair. After a time I decided that respect was really a bare bare minimum so I "upped" it to support. So everyone had to them discuss the merits or drawbacks of support and determine whether they could subscribe to it. I found these exercises very useful in focusing group interactions where I felt they were important in order to progress positively.

I use my example to demonstrate that respect and support are, as I said, basic humane tenants that could and should be followed more people more often. Respect doesn't require any kind of agreement or likemindedness or really anything other than an acknowedgement of anothers right to be.

I've realised I haven't really answered your question so here is my answer: None, respect is implicit.

I think everyone should show respect to each other but this is not always common amongst most people. Respect is earnt and given when you get respect. If everyone did respect each other we would be living in a perfect world.

Is it possible to argue that if everyone were worth respecting, we would have a perfect world?

Is it possible to argue that if everyone were worth respecting, we would have a perfect world?

Everyone is worth respecting - Everyone has a life-force contained within them and thats worth respecting - if everyone realized that maybe it would be a perfect world.

Its when we start to discriminate that problems arise eg: that life force has a faulty mind cause it doesn't agree with my minds attachment/fondness of the fact/statement "Good is better than Evil" therefore I'm going to despise that life force and everything else about it.

This is what I'm trying to get at, what criteria or standards do you command from someone before you will respect them.

Some of mine would be open-mindedness, lack of prejudice, lack of greed, lack of nastiness, a thirst for intelligence/experience - these people I would really respect or hold in high regard - maybe even be attracted to.

I like to think I have equal respect for everyone but I don't.

At times people can make noises/fusses about shit or do things I don't like/agree with and it hurts. I think it hurts cause I don't feel their behaviour meets a certain standard of beauty/perfection/appropriateness I seem to think people should try and meet/strive-toward.

I don't like the fact I judge people but it just sort of happens naturally, some people are just hotter or more appealing than others - I don't just mean physically.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder apparently - maybe we respect that which we find beautiful?

while i try not to forget the meaning of the sanskrit 'namaste', some people do not warrant respect IMO. the list just above this is pretty good but i'd simplify it. some people are mongrels, they don't deserve life much less respect.

Everyone gets my respect until they lose it. The only surefire thing that loses respect IMO is someone who takes advantage of good will/kindness/a second chance and uses it against you.

i don't meet the criteria for someone who could respect. I'm workin' on it. :)

I don't think everyone is equally worthy of respect, actually I think some people deserve far more respect than others, and some people deserve to be disrespected.

My basic MO is to credit everyone with basic respect by default and then see what they do with it, I try and treat people equally and show respect for opinions, attitudes and lifestyles that differ from mine, but sometimes people cross certain lines and I no longer respect them, but that doesn't mean I stop treating them as a fellow human being!

This is another instance in one of your threads where you may need to more clearly define what you mean by respect, because you seem to be using it in two ways, one as a basic regard for some kind of sanctity of life, another where you truly admire someone.

Everyone gets my respect until they lose it. The only surefire thing that loses respect IMO is someone who takes advantage of good will/kindness/a second chance and uses it against you.

Too right Undergrounder. I'm with you 100% on this one!

shoppers who get in the way forfeit their 'free' respect and earn a wad of disrespect.

What criteria does someone have to meet before you will respect them?

Why is this?

Peace

I respect people who are willing to admit when they are wrong, when they can accept another persons beliefs and values and people who are generally open minded. But basically, if a person is a decent human being and kind towards others they gain my respect.

Why? Because i feel these people fonder a sense of good will towards others, which rubs off onto them and spurs them to do good.

Good thread Sensai.

cheers

Everyone/thing should be respected, but not every reaction should be respected. A person is not an action or a reaction however and just as you can not change why a person acts or reacts you can choose to respect yourself enough not to get entangled in what you can not change.

I believe there are different gradations of respect. If for example I was in public I would treat everyone with the same automatic "respect" to let them be, be polite to them etc unless they decide to be an asshat for some reason (being rude for example) then I would treat them the same as they've treated me. Old or young, male or female I everyone is worthy of more of this basic human respect of Letting One Be. Some people are worthy of higher respect; friends who have proven themselves, heroes (and I don't mean sporting or celebrity "heroes" what a stupid concept GRR), my parents, good people basically.

It should be taken into account that NOBODY is perfect. We have ALL done things that would not be worthy of another's respect.

I believe there are different gradations of respect. If for example I was in public I would treat everyone with the same automatic "respect" to let them be, be polite to them etc unless they decide to be an asshat for some reason (being rude for example) then I would treat them the same as they've treated me. Old or young, male or female I everyone is worthy of more of this basic human respect of Letting One Be. Some people are worthy of higher respect; friends who have proven themselves, heroes (and I don't mean sporting or celebrity "heroes" what a stupid concept GRR)

I agree with your view basically, except why is a sporting hero a stupid concept? I don't even like sports, but I can see why people respect and admire people who can train and push themselves to the peak of human endurance and beyond. I don't even see why celebrities should be ruled out automatically, many actors and musicians who are considered celebrities have worked extremely hard to get where they are.

What criteria does someone have to meet before you will respect them?

Sensai

Perhaps it is that this person has shown us something of our own humility, we recognise or concieve part of ourself in this person.

Our respect is appreciation as they have given us something we can improve our own situation.

I am sure that it is easy to examine the shining stars who can even show us how to improve our life, but it is the poor, sick and needy that it is hard not to feel better about our own situation from.

Lord Siddartha needed to understand all sides of life when he left his possesions, this bodhisattva is not a terribly easy thing to just understand and accept willingly in an unbiassed way - nor will it.

Why is this?

Perhaps it is a little something of that person we respect, maybe it is a little bit of ourself.

I would say there's a difference in a celebrity just doing their job is not a hero. A celebrity who does good deeds is worthy (IMO) of hero status, but just because they're a celebrity hell no I don't think so. Same with sporting "heroes" I can appreciate that they've sacrificed a lot to get as good at whichever sport but to say that's an heroic feat I disagree with.

I would say there's a difference in a celebrity just doing their job is not a hero. A celebrity who does good deeds is worthy (IMO) of hero status, but just because they're a celebrity hell no I don't think so. Same with sporting "heroes" I can appreciate that they've sacrificed a lot to get as good at whichever sport but to say that's an heroic feat I disagree with.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

I was just thinking last night about how actors are quite literally like our society's gods... and then thinking about the fact that Jesus had so much to say against hypocrites, the Greek word for which means someone who wears a mask, and was used to refer to actors in ancient Greek theater.

I'm sure there's a lesson in there for all of us, somewhere.

^^^ Hypocrisy; ack I loathe it. Yet will admit to doing it myself. Bit hypocritical of me, innit?

I should've said: An actor/sportsman can be a hero, but an actor/sportsman does not an automatic hero make.

Criteria for respect? Shit I dunno. Too early for this kind of thinking.

True respect begins with self-respect. :)