The Corroboree
kushizm

Anyone into DUBSTEP or HARDSYLE?

Anyone into DUBSTEP or HARDSYLE?

yep :lol: love the fat & wobbly

don't really know what hardsyle is tho, will have to look it up

yeah i dont mind a bit of dubstep. i cant listen to a lot of it though. its very much a once in a while thing.

Good to hear some minds have been exposed, it's definitely an aquired taste..

Hardstyle is a mixture of hardhouse and hardcore techno... around 148bpm..

WHere do you guys hail from??? What do you guys jam to? You knw that wobbly music can send the mind in a great state :)

We get a lot of shit hop here. And it isn't very good.

peace

i like listening to dubstep but couldnt tell you any favorite artists/tracks. i have a friend who has adopted it as his genre of choice and he often passes on bits and pieces to listen to - almost always unlabeled. ive had an extended love affair with DnB so it was pretty easy to develop an appreciation for the style. its slowly gaining a following in melbourne but is by no means well represented at parties/clubs.

i dont listen to hardstyle anymore (or its associates: hardtrance, happy hardcore/hardcore, hard house). they, combined with all the flavours of tech and a good measure of electro monopilised my musical intake from ~ 16-21. i had a blast for most of that period but eventually tired of the music and the crowds that came with it. the scene in melbourne has declined from where it was a couple of years ago but is still kicking.

now days my heart belongs to psy and prog trance with lashings of DnB/dubstep blended in.

Dubstep is pretty damned good, so many of my friends are really into it.. but I'm finding (like I did with DnB) that it can start to get a bit stale. The reason why I first loved dubstep is because it basically was a new genre mashing together elements of so many other types of electronic music and a lot of room for musical evolution. That said after a a couple of years since I first heard it I'm getting pretty over the thud wobble wobble repeat format.

It is for this reason that I will constantly give big ups to Planet Mu records for consistantly being part of the evolution of this genre, crossing sounds over with other styles. Vex'd, Milanese, Virus Syndicate, Boxcutter, Pinch, MRK 1, Distance, iTAL tEK.... how can you go wrong??? ...besides Luke Vibert has done many releases on Planet Mu for all you acid lovers out there.

On the other end of the dubstep spectrum... I really like the unique sound that Burial pulled out when they released their second album Untrue last year. Not exactly dancefloor material but an amazing album nonetheless.

----------

Can't say I've heard hardstyle but if its anything like hard trance and modern day hardcore I'd imagine it not to be my thang.

---------

Genki - Can you give any examples of artists that do prog psy with dubstep blended in or are you just referring to guys who mix em together like people do with tech and trance, as I'm pretty interested to hear some.

P.S. If anybody wants to do mp3 trades send us a PM.

Not really into dubstep, hardstuff more though when i was younger

When i used to like a bit of a shuffle this track used to always get me move'n

Like a bit of this shit aye? (play it loud!! WARNING hardstyle)

can just see the chuppa chups being dipped into the 8balls of speed now.

hands in the air and glow sticks waving...

H.

:BANGHEAD2::blink::wacko::blink::wacko::blink::wacko::blink::wacko::blink::wacko:

:wub: Oh man if u love that you'll just adore this!! - neighbours cant get enough of ''neophyte'' esspecially at 5 in the morn, it must be the bass

I've only recently heard of dubstep and not a lot of it. Dub Side Of The Moon is one of my favourite smoking albums. Hell, put that on after some HBWR seeds and through time and space I fly.

Never heard of Hardstyle though.

sorry indigosunrise i should have been clearer - those are the styles of music i mainly listen to separately at the moment. i dont know of anyone mixing dupstep and prog/psy

No offence but I find 'hardstyle' to be kind of souless, not really much to it and extreemly repetitive but then I was into a bit of gabba and h'hardcore back in my day and the same thing can be said of that. (although I cant stand it anymore, once again, kind of souless and lacking emotion)

IMO hardstyle, like gabba and happy hardcore is really amphetamine music, dance as hard as you can for as long as you can kind of thing and thats probably where the issues is for me, being a burn out I tend to edge toward more ambient, fusion and classic techno/electro of my time or in a similar style (LTJ Bukem/CosmicBaby/Laurent Gariner/CJ Bolland/Jeff Mills/Richie Hawton etc)

Dubstep and DnB I find similar in a way but I can dig some of it, I used to be right into breakbeat and jungle which is where its roots come from but the newer stuff jst isnt touching the heart strings for me like the other stuff was, but I was always a sucker for piano riffs and sped up chipmunk voices., haha.

i had a blast for most of that period but eventually tired of the music and the crowds that came with it. the scene in Melbourne has declined from where it was a couple of years ago but is still kicking

Hehe, Im not saying this directly at you because its a generalisation and I havent been to a party in Melb in 8yrs so I cant comment but you would be amazed by how many people say this after they have been going out to parties or in the 'sceen' for a few years or more (sometimes less).

Every few years I hear people say they same thing and I know I said it as well, I think its the scenescene in general, the fact that most people/krews burn out or move on after 3-5yrs and things change along with it including the music but more than anything its just not as new and fresh as it was when you first got into it.

People always like it to be 'the way it was' :D

This said, it'll never be like it was in the late 80s to late 90's :) mostly because of the more underground nature of it all

But then thats just me saying the same thing, haha

Edited by AndyAmine.

No offence but I find 'hardstyle' to be kind of souless, not really much to it and extreemly repetitive but then I was into a bit of gabba and h'hardcore back in my day and the same thing can be said of that. (although I cant stand it anymore, once again, kind of souless and lacking emotion)

IMO hardstyle, like gabba and happy hardcore is really amphetamine music, dance as hard as you can for as long as you can kind of thing and thats probably where the issues is for me, being a burn out I tend to edge toward more ambient, fusion and classic techno/electro of my time or in a similar style (LTJ Bukem/CosmicBaby/Laurent Gariner/CJ Bolland/Jeff Mills/Richie Hawton etc)

Dubstep and DnB I find similar in a way but I can dig some of it, I used to be right into breakbeat and jungle which is where its roots come from but the newer stuff jst isnt touching the heart strings for me like the other stuff was, but I was always a sucker for piano riffs and sped up chipmunk voices., haha.

Hehe, Im not saying this directly at you because its a generalisation and I havent been to a party in Melb in 8yrs so I cant comment but you would be amazed by how many people say this after they have been going out to parties or in the 'sceen' for a few years or more (sometimes less).

Every few years I hear people say they same thing and I know I said it as well, I think its the scenescene in general, the fact that most people/krews burn out or move on after 3-5yrs and things change along with it including the music but more than anything its just not as new and fresh as it was when you first got into it.

This said, it'll never be like it was in the late 80s to late 90's :) mostly because of the more underground nature of it all

Its totally dependent upon who's ears its being blasted into, call me simple, but have had some extremely intense moments lying on my couch listening to hrdstyle, ( as well as classical music as well as roy orbinson as well as led zeppelin )

I'v never touched ice, rarely, and i mean rarely did speed or any upper for that matter ( fuckn makes you look like an ugly mean monster!! grrr).

:P To be taken in the nicest tone possible :P , i have found hard style to be actually quite ''emotionally charged'' also hard trance also psy trance too. Hard style melts urban filth and scum with tribal power and spirit, too me anyway.

this is HARDSTYLE at its finest , i'v put up some other pieces that dont quite fit what kushizm is on about - but this is what he's on about!!

Sorry about clogging up this topic with links , but i cant help it , i was a fucked up techno head as a youngster and still carry some symptoms!!

i was talking about a decline in popularity not percieved quality. a lot of the clubs, nights and parties have stopped running and there doesnt seem to be as many stepping in to replace them so im assuming that the demand isnt as high as it was a couple of years ago. i definately agree with what your saying though, ive said it before and it took me a little while to realise that what had changed was me - its amazing how different something can be when you stop experiencing it through MD goggles.

Just recently discovered 'London Zoo' by THE BUG.

Anyone with a fleeting interest in dubstep should give this a go fo sho. Not the hardest dub out there but definitely a heavyweight fighter >> Dancehall dubstep aural madness.

All guest MC's and even the lyrics I can decipher don't suck!

The dancehall flip keeps it more 'bangin' than say Milanese or Vaccine and them..I don’t mind the atmosphere of Burial but this sonically shits on Untrue.

Dubstep is pretty damned good, so many of my friends are really into it.. but I'm finding (like I did with DnB) that it can start to get a bit stale. The reason why I first loved dubstep is because it basically was a new genre mashing together elements of so many other types of electronic music and a lot of room for musical evolution. That said after a a couple of years since I first heard it I'm getting pretty over the thud wobble wobble repeat format.

There is definitely some kind of evolution here.. An accessible album that's listenable the whole way through (I love a good ALBUM) ..You might even wanna spruik about it.

My girlfriend ended up partying with Skream n Benga after their sets last night... Apparantly Benga gave her a quick peck on the lips, which would piss me off normally but since he's a dubstep superstar I guess I can make an exception. She got him to write me a note, which I can barely decipher, but at least I got big ups :P.

Benga%20Note.jpg

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

Haha that is absolutely classic. Tho are you sure it was just a peck? With hand writing like that who knows what the other hand was doing :wink:

Jokes, of course. You should get that framed tho!

(I've no idea what dubstep is so this may have no relevance but right now I am digging In a Town Called Addiss by Dub Collossus... I doubt that is as fast as what dubstep sounds like though)

Edited by Micromegas

i like deep dark liquid dub and dirty glitchy dubstep...

a lot of people whom have grown over the psytrance thingy are getting into deep prog and dub step..

a lot of people whom have grown over the psytrance thingy are getting into deep prog and dub step..

Describes me perfectly, except for the prog bit.

These days I'm really enjoying dub step, dub, some IDM, experimental electro etc, seems to have more artistic spirit than a lot of the cookie-cutter-ego-driven generic psy that's flooding the scene. Really digging The Sound Lab - Sunday nights on Triple J with Fenella Kernebone. mmmmmmmmm Fenella...... :drool2:

A couple of years ago I downloaded the Tripswitch set by DJ Ripple which was a revelation to me, still listen to it often. I highly recommend it, it's freely available

Really love this this too (Toasty - Guesswork)

Hardstyle doesn't really do it for me.

Oi

Hardstyle, not so much. But if the circumstances were right i'd think i'd prob enjoy it. But i don't bother to dl any songs etc. Dubstyle on the other hand i'm really enjoying at the moment. After so many years of Heavy Metal and alternative rock i found dubstep and DnB especially refreshing. It's not all perfect, like most genres of music it's hot and cold (depends on the artist i guess). I'm a noob when it comes to artists of these genres.

My biggest resource for Dub and Dnb is off itunes. In the radio section, then the electronic genre, my two main stations are dubterrain.net and dnbradio.com.

There's also a heap of chilled out, ambient stations that have some awesome electronic music/sounds.

cheers

Oi

Hardstyle, not so much. But if the circumstances were right i'd think i'd prob enjoy it. But i don't bother to dl any songs etc. Dubstyle on the other hand i'm really enjoying at the moment. After so many years of Heavy Metal and alternative rock i found dubstep and DnB especially refreshing. It's not all perfect, like most genres of music it's hot and cold (depends on the artist i guess). I'm a noob when it comes to artists of these genres.

My biggest resource for Dub and Dnb is off itunes. In the radio section, then the electronic genre, my two main stations are dubterrain.net and dnbradio.com.

There's also a heap of chilled out, ambient stations that have some awesome electronic music/sounds.

cheers

I used to listen to mostly metal and early 80's goth\punk... to tell the truth black or nordic metal was my favourite, and an appreciation for a lot of the classic thrash shit... gained a loathing for the nu metal stuff that got big whilst I was growin up (Korn, Sevendust, Fear Factory etc) even though loved it before I found better shit. Then I got into beats and realised I could find so much and more in electronic music... a way to portray something besides from anger, or emotion, or anything, except awesomeness.

Dubstep I have found to be that said awesomeness. When you listen to a song and the only way you can describe it as is "hot shit" or "massive" you know what I mean. Psy has def provided that as well, but psy is a sound and a scene that I almost feel like I'm too young to be part of. First doof I went to at 15 in Sydney region (know its different up north) I swear I was definitely the youngest person at the party... second one I went to I wasn't the youngest because it was a long weekend one and I saw a 3 year old on the dancefloor :P.

I feel like a dick for preaching a new sound so much but it has me and so many of my friends dragging by their hair along the ground screamin more, gotten friends to stop making dnb, slow down and focus on getting that bass to become epic (and building sub boxes to accomidate it)... and the best part is it has great potential to adapt and incorporate aussie hiphop which some friends of mine are doing, since part of the founding sound of dubstep was garage (garridge) and grime - british hiphop, and grime incorporating that to a two step heavy bass beat.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

Hell yeah - Ive been making lots of bass wobblers lately.

Im actually working on a new style of music myself which I will post shortly.