The Corroboree
Conan Troutman

T. peruviana 'Ariacampa'

Few people were asking for pics but my camera was out of order...

hope these will suffice :)

post-1069-1223778696_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1223778883_thumb.jpg

Cheers, C.T

• Like 3

Looks like a nice one CT. I reckon it's a hybrid though. Like most pervianoids I guess. Still, looks real nice.

Looks like a nice one CT. I reckon it's a hybrid though. Like most pervianoids I guess. Still, looks real nice.

Yeh probably... the name only refers too place of origin I believe :wink:

Nice cut C.T looks super healthy. Good pics

Very green for a peruvian, I'm not sure I would've picked it as one.

i've seen seed grown short spined peruvianus that look almost identical.......and others that dont esp when older.

trout seems to think ssperuvianus is not peruvianus and may not even be a trich!

t s t .

i've seen seed grown short spined peruvianus that look almost identical.......and others that dont esp when older.

trout seems to think ssperuvianus is not peruvianus and may not even be a trich!

t s t .

Yeh she is quite short spined and the 'v notches' are very prominent...

also seems very quite hardy...

All my cactus are semi shade grown, would probably account for the colour...

Conan, looks to me to be more on the T. pachanoi side of the T. pach/peru spectrum than on the T. peruvianus side.

tst, fill me in on Trout thinking the short spined T, peruvianus not being a Trichocereus at all as that is news to me. Here a couple shots of the classic short spined T. peruvianus and not the willy nilly ecuador/Peru T. pachanoi that often gets this name attached to it.

820185369_522ac09347_o.jpg

773640678_267f3cd56d_o.jpg

I'd love to know how it's not a Trichocereus for sure.

~Michael~

Hard to speculate just from a picture Michael especially considering this plant in particular is semi shade grown in a cooler climate.

I guess ill find out once its in my backyard anyways. :)

How rare is this Ariacampa plant??

looks like a short spined peru as you posted MS

and was sold to me by a very reputable cactus man as the above name...

Conan, looks to me to be more on the T. pachanoi side of the T. pach/peru spectrum than on the T. peruvianus side.

Could you elaborate on this?

Would be interested to know what specific traits you are going on to align it more to pach than peru. The main difference I can see between CTs specimen and the pics you posted is the spination, but certainly wouldn't think the spination on CTs cactus would suggest it being closer to pach.

prob my mistake.......had another look.......thought this refered to the trujilloensis but does appear different........sorry for my confusion!

t s t .

note sure would a closer look at the spines be possible...

Mr Smith: sure is a looker u got there...are you saying your pics are closer too the peru genetics rather than pach?? seems to have very lil in the way of spination (it just gets more confusing) :P

I've made some pretty lengthy comments elsewhere, but it a nutshell, proper T. pachanoi (not the "Backeberg Clone/Predominant Cultivar) of Ecuador and Peru, and proper T. peruvianus (not the ones I've considered T. cuzcoensis) are the same botanical species (such as with all dogs being one species) and that you simply make your own call about which side of the "spectrum" a plant falls on by a couple items, particularly the spination and the glaucous nature. If you had a mutt you would probably call it the "breed" that it most resembled, this while all the while knowing it was the same species as any other. So maybe if we just call the mother Trichocereus species "T. pachanuvianus" or "T. peruvianoi" we could then just see that T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus where just "breeds" of this mother species.

T. pachanoi generally has shorter spines and less glaucous skin, while T. peruvianus has longer spines and more glaucous skin. The fact is the flowers appear to be quite identical and so they are the same species, but since we have to use words to refer to our observations, and the differences in them, we use two names to describe variations of a single species. Rather than make up new names for each variability I would rather just make a judgement call and regard a plants closer to, or farther from, one side of the two "species" or the other.

So from this estimate Conan's plant, my plant, and Ginga's plant all fit into T. pachanoi.

As for anything being called a "short spined T. peruvianus," well honestly I don't think it should be used at all as it really isn't a useful term, and in fact causes more confusion than anything. Any "short spined T. peruvianus" should be just known as a T. pachanoi.

And tst, yeah, T. peruvianus var. trujilloensis isn't a Trichocereus.

~Michael~

As for anything being called a "short spined T. peruvianus," well honestly I don't think it should be used at all as it really isn't a useful term, and in fact causes more confusion than anything. Any "short spined T. peruvianus" should be just known as a T. pachanoi.

Several years back I acquired a dozen seedlings of supposedly T. peruvianus. As they've grown out, some most definitely have short spines (~2cm) while the others have ~5 cm spines. New spine growth is brown for both.

thanks michael for putting up with my less informed comments or mixups, and correcting them!

it must get frustrating for you sometimes but please be assured you are considered a very valuable resource here and give this site more in the way of scientific creditability.

t s t .

How rare is this Ariacampa plant??

An amount of seed was brought in a few years back and distributed by a number of people, I recall at least a couple of thousand.

Listed as T. peruvianus 'Aricapampa' as collection area i guess, Peru. Another bulk lot was T. pachanoi 'Matucana'. Source was Cactus heaven in Malta. I think the pach and peru had okay germination rates, the macrogonus on the same order was like 1 in 1000.

My seedling containers were fried so I don't have any myself (possibly have a few as poorly labeled sources? hard grown so very small atm.), but there should be a few scattered out if other folks had success with that batch of seed.

thanks michael for putting up with my less informed comments or mixups, and correcting them!

it must get frustrating for you sometimes but please be assured you are considered a very valuable resource here and give this site more in the way of scientific creditability.

t s t .

HERE HERE!

You couldn't have been more perfectly concise too such a layman :wub: