The Corroboree
t st tantra

heimia leaf for smoking

had tried smoking heimia leaf and extracts a number of times but always found it heavy on the chest.
was investigating the seasonal and other variations i had noticed.
some leaf is light green and supple sometimes very large leaves,usually these are the fresh tips.
as the leaf ages it becomes darker and stiffer.

the light coloured leaf,just pick what will snap very easily,smokes very nicely and was not harsh at all,flavour pleasant.
treat in the sun after picking,once it has a strong sweet smell keep going til dry or just dry.

t s t .

Edited by planthelper
tag
  • Like 1

given all the fat, wax, and protein wouldnt that be a bit nasty?

this leaf has a smell when picked,didnt realise that,but it gets stronger ,sweeter and looses the green note with the sun curing.

had rain in one batch,in a bowl,cold water ext seemed active!

exp with mainly nitrogen ferts seems to be producing good results.

shade may help too.

t s t .

only takes a day or so to do this,what about some reports back on what other people think about this?

a worthwhile improvement?

still harsh?

still too mild/undefined?

what was that word auxin?......atarctic?.....must remember that!

t s t .

I know the leaves your referring too. Younger growth or under lower light and less harsh conditions, makes for less structural fibers, less waxes, and less chlorophyll. Was less harsh for me too, i attributed it to those factors. I havent discerned what the potency difference is tho. I wouldnt shade them too heavily to try and make them mild tho, one key enzyme in the biphenylquinolizidine biosynthesis is light dependant.

Potential variables in this experiment (that is, current medication: paroxetine, amisulpride, sodium valproate, diazepam, probably some non-endogenous cannabinoidal compounds)

Preamble: Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a "noob" when it comes to the bioassay of herbacious materials (being more inclined to resort to the "Chem-Gods" over "Plant-Gods" in the past...)

Anyway, a standard size rollie of heimia (prepared by THE (one and only) t s t himself) was pyrolysed and inhaled. Within 30 seconds a strong but pleasant state of relaxation and stress reduction was noted, with vastly enhanced clarity of thought. An interesting likeness to a "meditative state" was apparent and the smoke had apparent antipsychotic actions in clearing pre-existing mental fog.

All round, an enjoyable experience, worth repeating. Thanks to t s t for the kind introduction and patience.

I'm fairly new to growing this plant so not really at the point where i can try any of this , but just a thought when i was reading: would curing the leaf i.e sealing in glass jars dark room , high humidity, then perodically venting the gasses from the jars over 3 or 4 days make the leaf more pleasnt to smoke, I know it has the effect of breaking down chorophyll etc. in other types of plants and creates a nicer smoke.

Thats pretty much done by the 'activation drying' its a heap curing where chopped fresh heimia branches are made in a heap and its turned/mixed once or twice a day until its sweetish smell matures then its layed out to dry the rest of the way and when dry rubbed off the stems- changes its chemistry making it stronger, a bit smoother to smoke too IME. I'm in kind of an arid climate with humidity frequently down to 20%RH so I use tubs with lids mixing it and leaving the lid off some of each day, that takes practice tho.. very easy to rot the foliage in spots using closed containers.

always thought there were seasonal variations in heimia but have yet to characterise them.

have some heimia myrtifolia going well enough for a first smoke,thanx all,and it was so strong i thought it must be stronger than salicifolia .so it did a batch of salicifolia tips and found them equally as unexpectedly strong..........so maybe autumn new growth is the strongest.....by the way the myrtifolia seems to have a slightly different alkaloid profile judging by the different,darker,visual aspect.....meaning not as bright .......

t s t .

673 views......and it would still be nice to get some more feedback........wtf goes on?

t s t .

734....heimia plants and seeds always seem to be among the popular products at sab and herbalistics,afsr has usually had seeds,i've given heaps away too,surely there are people out there who could also try this and give us some more reports.

i have friends who cure small amts of heimia in the sun in plastic bags.it works ok but tastes funny to me not as nice as it should be.small amts can just be put in a bowl in the sun.maybe over 30C it will dry very quickly but i havnt found that an issue.

Edited by t st tantra